Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • STW Southern Shandy Drinkers Purbeck Ride, April 24th….
  • DrP

Pertinant reminder of this world shattering up-coming event!
    Meeting at the car park at the 'entrance' to Sandbanks at 10ish, aiming to leave 1030ish.
    Catch the ferry across to the Isle of Purbeck, and enjoy 20-30 miles of lovely Dorset sea air!
    Pub stop for beers/lunch halfway sounds good eh!

Me and Rusty-trowel are scoping out the routes this monday if anyone's interested?

So – I know a fair few have shown interest on the original thread, but though i'd stick up another reminder to spark 'new' interest!

For the hardcore amongst us, there's a BHF ride leaving for Wimbourne (a few miles away) on the Sunday – I'm tempted by the 66miler!

DrP

timbur
    Free Member

It's Wimborne you numpty!

:oP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yo! With a bit of luck we should both be along.

Do we have to make cake AGAIN? **sighs**

cinnamon_girl

I'm in. 8)

Who's gonna hold my hand on the ocean crossing then?

luke
    Free Member

I'd love to come, but I'm taking the wife and kids away that weekend

DrP

Depends if it's covered in tattoos…. 😉

DrP

cinnamon_girl

Will be good to see you again DrP, even if you are off duty!

Zoolander
    Free Member

Damn damn and damn again. Away that weekend and it's right down my neck of the woods as well.
    Next time eh 🙁

cinnamon_girl

DrP – you had mentioned lardy cake. I could be wrong but I thought this was a Wiltshire delicacy? So … are we stopping for some and, if so, it will be served warm won't it?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Well reminded about Monday, i'd forgotten. 😳

New Forest sportive the weekend before, to get the legs warmed up (knackered).

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Oh go on then, I'll come. 😀

lexiekay
    Free Member

I'd be interested in coming please!
    Will be my first STW event… 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

I'll be there this weekend! (And maybe your weekend too)

psychle
    Free Member

As a matter of interest, what would be the nearest train station (coming from London)? Bournemouth?

Dawg1505

Poole or Bournemouth are equally as close.
    From Bournemouth follow the signs for the beach
    once at the beach turn right, and cycle carefully avoiding the beach users along the prom keeping under the 10mph speed limit..
    keep going till you come to the sandbanks hotel and Jazzys cafe
    turn right then left and your headed to sandbanks.
    Give yourself 25-30mins..

From Poole is a bit more complicated but again about 25 – 30 mins

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

25 mins from Poole station!! Are you stopping for cake on the way?

psychle
    Free Member

I reckon my wife and I might head down for the weekend, it's only £25 return on the train to Bournemouth, will maybe do the BHF 66 miler as well (how many others are doing this?)

dobo
    Free Member

if my knee has recovered well enough to ride then i would like to go

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

The BHF ride on the Sunday could be a go'er for me depending on family duties.

Strangelove
    Free Member

The ferry price has gone up and is now a whopping £1.80 return. So dont turn up with only £1.60 in your pocket like I did at the weekend.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

£1.80!!!! Outrageous, that's the conservative councils fault! good job there's an election coming up! 😛

XC_PK
    Free Member

Yeah I think I would be up for it. The last STW ride I did was the monsoon Swinley meet!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Don't bring your rain down here. Scorcher on the beach this afternoon. Bit chilly on the bike this morning though.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Rusty, whats the parking like on the penisula at the moment? Not sure if I can afford parking now the ferry has raised it's prices!!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Come to mine first then and we'll go in the van tight a**e 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Sounds like a plan. Good excuse to see your new house and baby RT. 😀

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Parking was only £2 all day down there today. Not sure when the summer rates kick in. Should be plenty of free parking on the peninsula unless there's something on that weekend.

mboy
    Free Member

May well be up for this one, enjoyed the Purbecks ride this time last year, even if I did come off nicely!

singletrackmind

I think me and Dez are putting in appearence. If he doesnt break his wrists snowboarding next week.

STM

mmb
    Free Member

i'm in and so is slogo cos i've just volunteered him! nearest train station is parkstone thats the one before poole if anyone is getting the train, i can meet anyone at the station before hand and lead them to ferry no probs, my e-mail is in profile for anyone who needs help, i live five min ride from parkstone station which is fifteen min ride from ferry. c u there!

lovell
    Free Member

I'm in

DrP

Good shout on the Parkstone front! Nearest station by far!

So, numbers are looking good 🙂

As previously posted – all welcome!

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member
    I think me and Dez are putting in appearence. If he doesnt break his wrists snowboarding next week.

STM

Indeed! Wrists unlikely, head maybe 🙂

lexiekay
    Free Member

quick question (not having ridden the Purbecks before!),
    what bike would be best to bring? I've got a choice of On-One Inbred or Lapierre Spicy. I'm guessing the On-One, but any thoughts welcome!

DezB
    Free Member

Spicy, so I can have a go 🙂

Anna-B
    Free Member

Sounds good, I'll be there I think.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

@ lexie – either will do the job. Locals ride anything from rigid singlespeeds (lovell plus others) to 5 inch full bouncers. In my opinion, a hardtail or short travel susser would be most suited – but feel free to bring a penny farthing or DH bike if you want, to give us a chuckle.

mmb
    Free Member

i'll be riding a santa cruz chameleon 09 with 145revs which is perfect for this location and i'm looking forward to putting some faces to names.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

mmb – if you're not working monday, we're having a route planning ride.

lexiekay
    Free Member

@rusty trowel – thanks, will probably bring the on-one then, the spicy's a bit heavy for a 20 mile ride! (sorry DezB!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘STW Southern Shandy Drinkers Purbeck Ride, April 24th….’ is closed to new replies.