Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Sunday MTB/Trail ride in Edinburgh
  • SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

Who’s up for it?

soobalias
    Free Member

what time?

gecko76

Where?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I will almost certainly be riding on sunday – depending on mood pentlands or not 🙂

heading off out shortly as well.

Edit – I am happy to meet up with others. I will be riding out from leith so passing colington way middayish probably

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

Where do you want to go? I was thinking either the pentlands or water of leith…suggestions welcome. I am an amateur so nothing crazy.

I just really want to ride on Sunday. 😀

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

Time flexible too.

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

Tandem, I am based in Leith too, shall we arrange a time, I will follow your lead.

gecko76

I’m Roseburn so can easily meet Water of Leith somewhere if that suits.

Normally ride alone but would be good to meet some local STWers.

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

Cool, then how about Leithers meet at 12pm somewhere, say pilrig park?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ok – 10.30 in leith which would be 11.15-30 on the aqueduct on the canal where it crosses the WOL?

Gentle pentlands ride ( apart from I like to climb puke hill :twisted:)

fink out option to cut down from currie to the canal if legs and or weather bad?

Edit – crossed posts.

Your call sab – you started the thread.

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

ok 10:30 then, from Pilrig Park?

gecko76

11.15-30 at the aqueduct is good.

TJ, which one’s Puke Hill?

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

Puke hill, is the one where i get off and push my bike.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats the one Sab – 1:3 times I can ride it. Gecko – puke hill is the climb up from bonally tower – only joking about that – I normally go up it as it gives quickest access to the hills but I am open to suggestions.

Sab – YGM

13thfloormonk

And the record is sub-two minute gate to gate! 😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

13thfloormonk – Member
    And the record is sub-two minute gate to gate!

Car Park gate to end of trees gate?

Must try that. Not fun on a singlespeed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

2 minute gate to gate? Not in my wildest dreams. Its all I can do to not have to get off and walk. Must look for that 20 tooth granny ring

coming to join us al? We will allow you to ride your SS29er and wear lycra

13thfloormonk

Thats the one al.

Think one (or more) of the Edinburgh Uni crowd managed it, probably Dougal_s.

I’ve been avoiding it by trying the wee rooty climb off to the right hand side, only cleaned it for the first time a few weeks ago…

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

al, if you wear lycra so will I.

robgarrioch

Under 2 minutes?? Is that down-hill? 🙂
    Sorry, are you guys heading into the Pents then? Can’t quite tell from above – if so might come along to say hello + tag along for a bit. Do you usually go right or left at the top reservoir gate? Lefty myself, more climbing then down the back of… wish I had the map on me!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rob -Pentlands is the plan – Routes to be decided on the day. I like the left turn at the top of puke hill but right is good as well. We could even take a different climb / less steep climb:-)

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

I dont mind which route, as long as we aren’t having a race – I’ll be left behind you see…. 😀

(Or I could be totally bluffing and you would all be mondo stoked!*)

*I don’t actually talk like this, so you know.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Racy types can do all the climbs twice 😈

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

quite fancy seeing if i can do the 2mins to the gate. not been up puke hill for ages. on that subject, i’ve heard castlelaw has been santised. what’s the best way round to do it – i used to like going up puke hill, turning left and climbing castlelaw that way rather than glencorse end. which bits have had work done on it?

13thfloormonk

Castlelaw has been sanitised at the Glencorse end. Its not so bad, removes the only interesting bit of the climb and makes for less fun descending it (less rocks sticking out of the ground…)

druidh
    Free Member

Here you go – the sanitised Castelaw bit…

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

nnnnnoooooooooooooooooo *covers eyes.

what else have i missed when i was away being a roadie??! that looks awful – i used to like the wee rocky bit 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

Sacrilege eh? It’s like that right past the last flagpole. Mind you, I suspect some of it has washed away since that photo was taken. The top layer was very soft and walkers were leaving footprints in it.

I might be up for a spin on Sunday too. An idea of routes would be nice though – so I can decide whether or not to put suspension forks on the “commuter”. Meet at the Bonaly car park about 12?

AlasdairMc

I might be up for this too, if my man/swine flu has gone by then. Bonaly at 12 if I’m coming, but don’t wait for me.

I was up the Pentlands today, discovered another mile of forest singletrack near my house. Trails are very dry at the moment, including Black Hill.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ll wear a surgical mask…

another mile of track??

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

is the grassy track that was on the r hand side still there (it was at the same bit as the loose/rocky/steeper section higher up) why can’t they leave the good bits alone and do some work things like putting in a bridge over the bog on harehill??

i’m riding with chrisl on sunday, not sure where yet – weather for here is rain and i’m trying to enjoy riding again so we might do some man made stuff.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I tend to do a different descent at castlelaw – runs from the bealach at teh top of the dreghorn climb down the side of the hill past an old quarry and joins up with doubletrack that goes down to Glencourse.

AlasdairMc

druidh – just before the bridge on the Rigg descent, there’s a left turn with a stream crossing that leads to a path that loops all the way back up to the start of the Rigg. I need to go back again with some secateurs or a wood saw to clear it fully

druidh
    Free Member

Ah- I think I know where you are. I’ll pack my wee trail saw next time I’m up that way (I’ve been known to walk up in the evenings).

radoggair
    Free Member

Sub 2 minutes is quite easy gate to gate. Anything more challenging??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Only if you are some sort of racing whippet. There is a climb if you go left at teh top of puke hill that is impossible – we tried to do it on the tandem and blew the hub under the load ( there is a zig zag but there also is a grassy slope that cuts the corners) Not seen anyone get up it

stooo
    Free Member

Possibly up for a pootle around the pentlands on Sunday… looks like rain though, might not be a great place to be. Don’t wait for me, but I may be along… the company would be nice.

13thfloormonk

Tandem, is that the climb that leads to Allermuir via a traverse across Capelaw? I think i’ve climbed it, but it took many attempts, a very low gear and one big old fat sticky rear tyre (a 2.2″ rubber queen)

<iframe width=”425″ height=”350″ frameborder=”0″ scrolling=”no” marginheight=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ src=”http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=55.884218,-3.255161&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=55.88435,-3.254453&sspn=0.002852,0.006802&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=55.88435,-3.254453&spn=0.002852,0.006802&output=embed”></iframe&gt;
    <small>View Larger Map</small>

Raddogair, i have a nice little selection of steep and tech climbs in the pentlands that might keep you busy for oohh.. five minutes? If i ever manage them all i’ll be a happy man, some absolute stinkers 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think thats the one 13th. We tried on the tandem (which climbs better than a solo as the front won’t lift)- 22/34 granny gear and both standing on the pedals and we stalled out – as it stalled the freehub gave up under the pressure. there is a zig zag that you can ride up or a grassy slope straight up cutting the zigzags out. Its the grassy slope thats really hard. Maybe over 30 degree slope?

stooo
    Free Member

My Pal Mark can get up that climb Tandem… makes it look easy too, but he is super human (I think… never seen him fly though)

I usually come down that one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Sunday MTB/Trail ride in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.