Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Superb snowy weekend in the Lakes! (pics)
  • grumm
    Free Member

Had an awesome couple of days in the Lakes snow – Garburn on Friday on the bike and Sharp Edge on Blencathra yesterday (not on a bike obviously!).

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3324/3225252108_eb473ac98c.jpg?v=0[/img]

Magic day yesterday, skiers and climbers out in the nice sugary snow – at least 2-3 ft deep in places.

Some more here – http://www.flickr.com/photos/18244158@N00/

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Wow!

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Awesome pics,nice one. 😀

I was in the South Lakes yesterday no snow at all,and it was quite mild temperature wise.

crazy-legs

Looks ace! 🙂 Never seen that much snow on Garburn before.

grumm
    Free Member

Oh yeah, and here’s a good one for the ‘you have to wear a helmet’ gang – one of my mates had left his helmet in his dad’s car by accident, so did without. He also had trouble with his cleats icing up, so ended up riding down the steep side of Garburn, in the snow, with no helmet, and not clipped in to his iced up shimano SPDs. 8O.

He was fine though – I fell off and he didn’t. 😉

pennine
    Free Member

Nice! All this good weather and I can’t ride due to an operation 🙁

Couldn’t get a lift Simon?

BoardinBob

Oh yeah, and here’s a good one for the ‘you have to wear a helmet’ gang – one of my mates had left his helmet in his dad’s car by accident, so did without. He also had trouble with his cleats icing up, so ended up riding down the steep side of Garburn, in the snow, with no helmet, and not clipped in to his iced up shimano SPDs. 8O.

He was fine though – I fell off and he didn’t

I got drunk at the pub last nignt and drove home.

But it’s alright. I didn’t crash and I didn’t get caught…

grumm
    Free Member

Oh dear – was only joking about it. Personally I thought it was fairly silly but its up to him at the end of the day. Drink driving could easily harm other people so is a different matter entirely.

Anyway, back to admiring my pics. 😛

@fullbouncebill – whereabouts were you in the S Lakes? Most places looked fairly snowy as I was driving past.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Couldn’t get a lift Simon?

nope 🙁
    My alternative task for the day is to build a bookshelf but I can’t say I’m highly motivated…

funkynick

Looks fantastic… I remember doing Sharp Edge on a very similar looking day a couple of years ago, it had been a good number of years since I had last done it and I’d forgotten just how ‘sharp’ the edge is… especially in the snow. Am very jealous…

Oh, and watch out for Fred, I’m sure he’ll be around soon telling you off for going out in the mountains in the snow.. ;o)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Awwww!

According to someone on this forum you were being “irresponsible” having that much fun.

I’m envious!

grumm
    Free Member

funkynick – yeah I have done it a couple of time in summer and found it pretty straightforward, but some of the drops seemed a lot more sheer than I remembered them being, when covered in snow. Pictures seem to make it seem less steep/scary.

These give some idea

Mind you – we were going up fairly slowly in crampons with an axe, and some guy rocked up in ski boots with a pair of skis on his back and fairly flew up it!

There were actually some guys climbing up the face from the tarn – bit of a cornice above them. No idea how much avalanche risk there was. You can just about see them here – three dots on the snow gully sloping up from left to right:

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The skier guy was probably intending to ski that gully.

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

BoardinBob ❗

nickc

Never mind not wearing a helmet….SHORTS!!! 😯

rather you than me.

lowey

looks stunning mate. I’m not jealous in any way whatsoever.

lucky b’stard :p

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Grumm

We rode around the Newby Bridge area on Saturday,There was some nice ancient Hollow-ways with some sunken technical decents,It was a bit boggy in places but it diddent spoil the riding. 😉

Its not an area of the Lakes i have ridden much so it was a nice change,The recently opened High Newton Bypass has opened the area up a bit (quieter roads)and meant we could use some good road climbs to utalise the off road downhills! 😈

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

More pics 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

I wear shorts cos I’m dead ‘ard. 😛 Surprisingly it wasn’t actually amazingly cold. Still not as ‘ard as lowey though – those pics of Walna Scar in the snow are classic!

fullbouncebill – looks nice. I’ve never really ridden round there either.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

According to someone on this forum you were being “irresponsible” having that much fun.

Oi, Grumm; you were being irresponsible for having that much fun!

There, all happy now? 😉

Seriously, though, it looks awesome. Stunning. Bit bloody cold, mind. Brrr!

I can see why you would love something like that. I love visiting places with that sort of landscape. And you’ve got to put the effort in, to get the reward. And there’s a certain amount of risk involved. And maybe better to take such risks, than sit at home worriting about stuff all the time. Yes, I do ‘get it’!!

Lighten up, people!

grumm
    Free Member

It was slightly disturbing that there was little pools of blood in the snow most of the way down our descent. Probably some people doing something reckless and irresponsible I imagine. 😛

Sandwich

Typical, fantastic winter with no job and no car! I would be in Glencoe now if I could get away. Nothing like a good epic winter day out on the hill.

kennyp
    Free Member

Grumm, like everyone else says, fantastic pictures.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I wear shorts cos I’m dead ‘ard.

I wear shorts because I’d like you to think I’m dead ‘ard, but in fact I’m mostly just stubborn :o)

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers kennyp. Awesome weekend – I’m still buzzing about it.

Yeah in fact I didn’t even think about not wearing shorts – don’t really have any appropriate riding gear that’s not shorts.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cracking pics.

funkynick

grumm… I think it might have been a little less icy when I did it as we didn’t need crampons until we got to the plateau where it had all iced up. The ridge itself was just covered in snow so pretty easy to move along, although I am not sure I’d want to do it in ski boots… or were they ski mountaineering boots? I think the ridge goes about Grade I doesn’t it?

And that gully doesn’t look too bad, probably a good little route when it’s nicely iced up…

devs
    Free Member

Typical, fantastic winter with no job and no car! I would be in Glencoe now if I could get away. Nothing like a good epic winter day out on the hill.

9 rescued 3 dead in Glencoe yesterday. Not the safest place to be just now.

grumm
    Free Member

It wasn’t really icy apart from near the top. tbh we could have managed fine without crampons because the snow was mostly fairly soft, but we didn’t know that and didn’t fancy having to put them on halfway up the ridge. Was our first winter route so being a bit cautious.

Rockfax gives going up Sharp Edge and down Hall’s Fell as a Grade I/II, but we just came down the easy ridge on the other side of the tarn from Sharp Edge.

It was a cracking route though – felt quite alpine in character with all that snow on it.

polarisandy
    Free Member

hmm nice pics. esp one with sun.
    This is Helvellyn fri afternoon.

follow link for more

null

polarisandy
    Free Member
    grumm
    Free Member

Nice one – anyone else got any snowy pics from the weekend?

DeeJay
    Free Member

This was Friday in the Lakes too. Met up with Fagus for a ride from Ambleside

grumm
    Free Member

Looks lovely DeeJay – love those tracks around Ambleside.

Any more?

DeeJay
    Free Member

grumm

forgot to add ‘there are more if you click the pic’

More snow than I expected on yesterday mornings outing from Barningham and across the Moresdale Road – very entertaining though.

josemctavish
    Free Member

It was a wee bit snowy on our bivvy trip:

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Superb snowy weekend in the Lakes! (pics)’ is closed to new replies.