Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Superstarcomponents – 20mm Hub, review
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Just got home to find my Superstar Components 20mm “Superstrong” front hub on the desk.
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=79

Some shots and a quick “first touch” opinion.

I already own a SSC “Superfast” QR front hub and a “Superleggera” rear. Both have built up into good wheels. I did have the rear freehub replaced under warranty early on due to a notchy bearing but since then no more problems.

I wanted to get a 20mm hub for some new Reba Maxles. SSC are knocking the superstrongs out for a very cheap – £20.00 (as well as the superfast £17.10) and it seemed too good a bargin to let pass.

As with the other hubs the machining and finishing is very good indeed. The design is simple enough – a one piece 20mm hollow axle that sits inside two interference fitted bearings. Bearings are 6805RU EZO.

End cups are slid on to the axle end. There is an internal rubber O-ring in the cups to aid the fit. The cups fit inside the hub shell recess is fairly closely so should help keep some dirt away from the bearing seal faces although they are by no means dirt seal fit. Comes in at 236g vs quoted 235g.

Have also bought the QR conversion adaptors for an additional £7 so I can use this wheel in my Carbon forks as well (which I will do as Im building up a monster rim for some big rubber that will go well with the rigid forks). Should build up into a nice stiff wheel.

For the very reasonable price its a decent bit of kit and almost worth grabbing a bargin to put in the shed for a rainy day.

Hope ProIIs are 50g lighter but at £50 for the hub and another £15 for the conversion (either to QR or 20mm) they are quite pricey.

MrNutt
    Free Member

nice n’ shiny, 50g heavier than pro2?!? thats a fair bit isnt it, still nice lookin’ piece of kit, how do you find the pick up on the rear superleggra?

smell_it
    Free Member

I think they are lovely looking hubs, but after owning the XC wheelset, I wouldn’t be paid to have another superleggera rear. Started slipping after less than 3 months, easily sorted by a service but I didn’t want to be cracking it open every 2-3 months, and I had no confidence in the hub when out and about. Oh, and the customer service 🙁 Was a shame really as for the first 2 months thought they were the bee knees.

GW
    Free Member

reviewing a product without ever using it? you should get a job with one of the MTB mags 😛

sodafarls
    Free Member

They do look nice, and I suppose there’s not a lot to go wrong with a front hub?

Stoner
    Free Member

smell_it – I confess Im worried about the rear as I run it singlespeed. The pick up is very good, btu as you say if it were to slip, then it could be knackertastically disasterous! 🙂

When yours slipped did it engage within the crankstroke or did you need to freewheel to get it to engage? To fix it did you just put some thicker grease on the wedges to make them stick to the shell better or a lighter grease to make the spring work better?

Stoner
    Free Member

well spotted GW… 🙄

hence “first touch” opinion. Not a Grinder review is it.

smell_it
    Free Member

Stoner – would spin anywhere between a quarter to over half a rotation and then engage again. Thicker/ more grease and it continued to slip, but lighter grease sorted it. I ended up getting rid after the second service of them, as I just didn’t trust it, and I was worrying more about the hub and not enjoying the ride.

I_Ache
    Free Member

That front hub looks nice. I hope your getting a discount because I might get one now for when I change the little bike over to 20mm.

Stoner
    Free Member

Oh, Im hardly fruit’s PR mouthpiece 🙂

But good value taiwanese factory hubs are good value taiwanese factory hubs regardless of the logo stuck on them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Superstarcomponents – 20mm Hub, review’ is closed to new replies.