Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tag-along bikes
  • molgrips
    Free Member

How old do your kids have to be before you can put them on a tag-along type bike?

wwaswas

not an age per se but you have to be pretty confident they’re going to stay hanging on and not get distracted and point at something with both hands.

in terms of size – easiest thing is to try one in the shop they’re usually fiarly adjustable for reach but I had to cut the seatpost donw for our daughter who’s a bit short for her age.

molgrips
    Free Member

Trying to decide how big a trailer we need to accomodate kids until they get big enough for a tagalong.

DezB
    Free Member

The recommendation on Tag-alongs is that the child should be able to ride without stabilisers.
    (although we started a little before this, when he was about 3 1/2)

antigee

my youngest started at 3,1/2 and was fantastic at keeping both hands on, feet on pedals etc because she really enjoys it and wanted to go out – her older sister more like a year older before could trust – mind you i let her fall asleep once, thought it had gone a bit quiet!

a mirror helps

antigee

matt_outandabout

Agree with the comments re hanging on and confidence – first lad was on at 3+bit, next one was 4+, just been out with youngest at 3.5…

I found that on easy stuff they love it, but you have to be careful not to get a little over and….having said that the eldest came down Lockerbrook on a tagalong at 4+!

DezB
    Free Member

^^^ That’s not really me and not really my child btw!!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Get practising. There is a tagalong race at the Big Bike Bash*

*DezB must use his own child in this race

takisawa2

Contemplating the same thing here.
    Currently using a trailer but its a tight squeeze with the boys winter coats etc.
    Ours are currently 19 months & 3 yrs.

DezB
    Free Member

Get practising. There is a tagalong race at the Big Bike Bash*

No point. We’re gonna win !

antigee

my stoker is currently in plaster 🙁 – not a bike related injury – so i’m not in the doghouse

jojoA1
    Free Member

3 with first and 4 with the second. My daughter was shorter than my son and couldn’t reach the pedals even with the seat right down.

Second the falling asleep risk, you can usually tell though, as they start sagging to one side as they nod off!

molgrips
    Free Member

Second the falling asleep risk

Your ride’s not interesting enough 🙂 Have you tried the local downhill course?

st

We started my daughter on a tag along when she was just over 3 1/2. She’s just turned 4 and although still riding here bike with stabilisers is more than happy riding the tag along on the back of here Mum’s bike without any stabilisers.

watly_biker
    Free Member

We used a trailgator so could attach a v small bike – my son was around 2 and a half – just kept off road or quiet roads and have had no problems, he even pedals sometimes !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tag-along bikes’ is closed to new replies.