Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)
  • Tattoo – how painful?
  • cinnamon_girl

Been thinking about getting one but I'm a wuss. 😳

Can they be done under general anaesthetic?

Thank you so much. 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Lots of my mates have found that drunk is normally the way to go. 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

Why not have a large dose of WTFU!

sc-xc

Can they be done under general anaesthetic?

As I understand it, no. It's counted as assault.

Not painful though, obviously dependant on where you get it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You pussycat! It hurts a bit but it's not agony just uncomfortable. Like a 'will you stop doing that' kind of thing. Anyone who tells you it doesn't hurt is either lying or using Emla cream.

cinnamon_girl

I'm teetotal, oh yes 😆

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i gave a mate some moral support once for his first tat…he almost passed out then had to go home from work…it was in the classic tramp stamp area though and its sposed to be very tender theyre..

im not a fan of em at all,seen quite a few cute ones on gals though…one of mates had one done when he was a larger chap…hes since shrunk and so has his tat…very crap!

sorry prob not much help!

Bunnyhop

I must be odd, as I really don't like them.
    Or piercings for that matter ( even though I have pierced ears).

cinnamon_girl

Mine will not be on public display 😉

izakimak
    Free Member

Stab yourself in the arm very fast 100 times with a needle, by the time you've done that it'll be numbish.
    HTH

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I'm teetotal, oh yes

Should be cheap then.

voodoo_chile

a bit ,depends where it is ? what are you getting ?

batman11
    Free Member

Have one on my shoulder was ok was a bit leaner then though just scratchy.
    Think it depends where ribs=pain under the arm= pain bu most areas are just uncomfortable plus it does depend on how big it is etc.
    Im gonna go back soon for one on my calf just trying to find a good place near me.
    Bat.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i went "out" with a gal who had a small man pushing a lawnmower once in a "discrete area" raised a smile!

jam-bo

anyone who tells you they don't hurt is lying.
    some places hurt considerably more than others.
    there is no going back so find a really, really good tattooist and with their help design something you really, really like.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I'm with bunnyhop on that .. what happens when you're old or wrinkly! Look at Cheryl Cole constantly showing of her random tat on her arm! Or go for the "tramp stamp" .. small of back? that's what I've heard not that I have a clue about tatoos as I'm squeamish of needles at the Dr so I stay away.

Oh and isn't it an offence for a tat person (artist!??) to do a tat when someone is drunk??

I am laughing at izakimak comment though 😆

cinnamon_girl

OK, I need to MTFU in life anyway 🙄 No, will not stab myself in the arm cos it won't be there, that's just silly!

Not decided on design yet, could be just a name, could be a guitar, who knows. The only person to see it will be cinnamon_boy when he catches up with me. 😉

cinnamon_girl

I'm old and wrinkly anyway so … what the hell?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

It does hurt although no more than a cat scratch or picking a scab. My inner arm hurt more than my shoulder and upper arm.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Drag a sharp needle across your skin slowly so it sort of scratches a little and go backwards and forwards a few times over the same patch and you'll get the idea.

Then, multiply that feeling of pain by about 5.

batman11
    Free Member

Think you should find a good tattoist and get an original design done me thinks!!
    Bat.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for all the replies. 8)

sc-xc

google 'Joolz Denby'. Great tattooist.

coffeeking
    Free Member

While there's absolutely no logical reason that it should be, I have to say that any tattoo is a tramp stamp for me.

cinnamon_girl

Might just check with my daughter, she's had a subtle one done.

Bunnyhop

She's had labour pains, so I think she'll cope.

When you coming oop North c_g? It would be great to meet up.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Yes painful, usually when it goes across bone just below the skin or in areas with lots of sensitivity such as your wrist. Mine goes across my spine and the pain starts out louder but then becomes regular as the tatt is done… You become sort of used to it as it goes a long. It heightens near bones etc.

In terms of picking a design don't pick it from a book. Find somebody who can draw something unique for you.

cinnamon_girl

Hi Bunnyhop! Up North in June, hoping to make a Bogtrotters ride on my way back down. Yes, would be fun to meet up!

izakimak
    Free Member

i used to work with a chap who had L T F C across his fingers on the right hand and E S U K across his left ones.

molgrips
    Free Member

i went "out" with a gal who had a small man pushing a lawnmower once in a "discrete area"

Classy.

hels
    Free Member

Yep what ti pin man said. Starts off painful but then you get kind of used to it. More painful nearer the bone. Mine is a band around my ankle, had just got settled in and comfy and used to it when he got to the back. Yowsa.

Worth it, have never regretted mine even my mum likes it now. Unlike an old boyfriend of mine from back in the day who had Tank Girl all over his back. Oops.

allthepies
    Free Member

You're barking if you actually would even *consider* having a general anaesthetic for something as trivial as a tat.

cinnamon_girl

Just remembered when my then wayward teenage daughter came home with her lip newly pierced. 😯

It was family dinner time, she then had to attempt to eat with this bit of metal in her mouth. Food was dribbling down her chin, dog was in position to clean up, father's blood pressure was going sky-high with anger. It wasn't a pretty sight. 🙄

gator
    Free Member

Like some of the others say

Sort of a stinging pain
    – so more painful in tender places – ribs / up under your arm.
    Outline tends to be worse as the area changes

Shading gets a bit numb as there are more needles and works the same area longer.

Some tattooist are better than others – speed of the machine is a factor.

Go to an artist recomended by somebody.

And fully agree about design – make it yours.

It hurts – but not bad – as for LA = no chance !

Stop being a wuss – get it done 🙂

woffle
    Free Member

short answer. yes.

long answer – the amount of pain depends on where / how long and most importantly on the style of the tattoo artist. You do get somewhat used to it after a while, especially if you're under the needle for 3+ hours which, if you're having anything substantial / any blockwork, is going to be likely.

can hurt the wallet too. Especially for decent artists who do something 'custom' rather than picking a pattern out of a book. Mine last one ran into hundreds…

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Believe it or not but the pain or discomfort is addictive 😉 it is very rare to stop at just one and yes we will look stupid when we are wrinkly but who cares? Live life!

cinnamon_girl

Ooooooooooooh, I'm in a quandry!

Trouble is, I'm after a bikey part too. 🙄

Really … do I want more pain?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

http://www.elixirtattoo.co.uk/main.html

I know Sunderland's dodgy but Mel is VERY good, she's a fantastic artist as well so she can do proper 'custom' stuff.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

CG – why not ask the expert?* Who, as it happens, also happens to know the best artists in your area, one if which happens to use rotary machines that don't hurt as much, and would be happy to tag along as tattoo studios can be a bit intimidating for a first timer….?

*Me. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Tattoo – how painful?’ is closed to new replies.