Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • TBC Wednesday night ride – slot cars at the ready
  • druidh
    Free Member

Well, with all this chat about Scalextric, it seems only proper that we have at least one go at it this week. Normal rules apply – leave TBC after 6, Bonaly at 7 (punctures en route notwithstanding). Magnatraction not allowed.

Route details to be confirmed, but currently thinking Bonaly – Clubbiedean – Harlaw Woods – Dens Cleugh – Maidens. The (fool)hardy can then shoot up over Harbour Hill and down Scalextric from the top, while the rest of us tackle the quad track around the flanks.

Northwind

"Magnatraction not allowed."

😥 That's the only way I can get round the corners.

coastkid
    Free Member

will be along with paul (stanfree) again,do some trackside filming this week 😮

AlasdairMc

Hmm, might join you again this week. The idea of more Scalextric is tempting, where is this upper start you speak of? I normally just cut left before the gate at Maidens, or is there more if you follow the wall line from the gate instead?

Kit
    Free Member

I'm working 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

Alasdair – I was referring to the descent off the top of Harbour Hill – from the broken wall. My ability to get up there is, however, (at best) variable 🙂

Hey – if we get down fast enough, we might have time for a second run……

druidh
    Free Member

Kit – Member
    I'm working

I can assure you that you're not working for me….

Junkyard
    Free Member

Liking your approach to man management can I get a job with you then?

You can tell from the forum I am surly and opinionated so perfect for the task surely?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmm

I have a unfit very occasional cyclist friend to show around on Wed. I think that might be too much for him especially with the ride to and from Leith. I might be missing. Shame – Dens will be goood right now as it should be dry(ish)

Junkyard
    Free Member

take him as your stoker TJ 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmmm – not such a daft call. He was a part of our tandems at ten under team.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Certainly wouldn't be riding scalextrix no brakes.
    Beach ave road that I hit 43 on my solo we hit 55+ on the tandem.

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Yes – Of course you did. 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

I wouldn't worry TJ. The only "stiff" climbs will be up the Beech Avenue and then up Maidens. Plenty will be spinning away up them.

coogan
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmmm – not such a daft call. He was a part of our tandems at ten under team.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Certainly wouldn't be riding scalextrix no brakes.

Its not that tough that scalectrix. And beach ave is just a steep bit of tarmac, no challenge to hit that speed.

stanfree
    Free Member

[/quote] TandemJeremy – Member

Yes – Of course you did.

Love the banter on the TBC threads.

Druidh what week are we going to try the Peaks route you mentioned last week.
    I.E Head for red road then turn Left and over the top of the hills towards Loganlea/Glencorse . It looks a killer but totally uncharted in my books.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh – Member

I wouldn't worry TJ. The only "stiff" climbs will be up the Beech Avenue and then up Maidens. Plenty will be spinning away up them. [quote]Route details to be confirmed, but currently thinking Bonaly – Clubbiedean – Harlaw Woods – Dens Cleugh – Maidens.[/quote]

Que?

coastkid
    Free Member

paul that sounds like another hill running route!///not two in one week…my lungs couldnt take it! 😮

druidh
    Free Member

Paul – I will never lead a group around the peaks. Especially not the sort of numbers we've been getting. Too much impact. However, you now know where they are…..

stanfree
    Free Member

Indeed Colin yer probably right ,Just sounded interesting last week . If the mountain goat Coast Kid is wary of It I'll pass. I dont know If Poets Glen can be thrown in this week as Ive never done it If not no worries.

See you Wednesday.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The ( perhaps rather arbitary) code for the pentlands asks MTBers to stay off the paths over the tops of scald law and so on.

A few years since I have been up there now so I don't know what the erosion is like ATM

stanfree
    Free Member

Probably out of my league TJ , but Im always looking for new tracks on my doorstep albeit ones that wont upset the Pentland rangers.

druidh
    Free Member

The path off Scald Law to the Kirk Road is pretty heavily armoured now, so I'd have no qualms about descending that t all (and have). Some of the terrain between West Kip and Scald Law is quite a bit more fragile. Definitely one for the "softly-softly" approach.

robgarrioch

I'll probably have to skip it this week, getting stuff together for heading to the weekender after work on Thursday… still haven't decided which bike…

Bit of rain yesterday / last night, but probably not enough to make it sloppy, might even firm up the ground a bit…
    Never know though, may turn up for the first half

ojom
    Free Member

Even I will miss it. Will be on the A14 heading to ipswich of all things to do on a wed night.
    Back next week though!

jimmy

I shall be in attendance

13thfloormonk

I won't make it, staying on tarmac until these cuts heals up, most annoying!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

how long roughly will this ride go for, time wise? i'd love to break my TBC ride duck tomorrow! 🙂

ChrisL

I may be able to make it, though I've said that and failed before. 18:40 at the ex Alfa garage on Gorgie?

Many years ago when I had a cycle computer on my MTB, I think I got up to 45mph or a touch above it going down the road at Beech Avenue. I topped out there because I couldn't spin quickly enough to get any more speed out of my top gear (44:11). My helmet started trying to take off from my head. 🙂 Are tandems taller geared or were TJ's legs a comedy cartoon blur in order to get to 55mph?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Chris – both tandem and solo have a 36/11 top gear. I took a run at it so was flat out at the top of the hill with my legs in a comedy blur and tucked right in and then waited. The tandem goes faster cos it has the same drag as a solo but more weight to push it down – terminal velocity is about 60% higher

Its really obvious when you freewheel alongside someone down a hill.,

Alanr
    Free Member

Should be along. See you at Bonaly.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MrK mkII – bonaly back to bonaly by that route is something like a couple of hours I guess – maybe a bit more with faff factor you get with groups

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Is the meet at the Scout car park at 7?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i think i might be along! it depends on whether i get my forks onto my kona. and if i'm kanackered. early start thursday…

i'll be on an old red kona hahanna at bonaly – if i'm not there i'm not out! 🙂

kieron

AntM
    Free Member

I'm up for it 😆 meet you at the shop or on route.

druidh
    Free Member

TBC at 18:00 (ish)
    Passing the old Fiat garage 18:40 (ish)
    Bonaly Newsagents 19:00

What bike should I bring?

ojom
    Free Member

Take the Van Nic…. FACT

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

druidh,

Can you confirm the route. Coming over from West Lothian by bike so would prefer to meet you all around Harlaw.

Ta

cynic-al
    Free Member

55mph UP exponential hill?

I'm gonna google that. Can't be do able.

druidh
    Free Member

I'm thinking the following…

Leave the newsagent and head up past the scout camp to the car park. Round Clubbiedean to Harlaw (option of heading up Pistachio I guess). Round to Black Springs and Dens Cleugh to the Glen Road. Up Maidens from the South. Up or round Harbour Hill and down Scalextric.

The best meeting point from West Lothian would be the Harlaw car park, or the wee sign-post between there and the Maidens/Black Springs junction. Nice to have you along!

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Ta,

What time at Harlaw car park?

Regards

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘TBC Wednesday night ride – slot cars at the ready’ is closed to new replies.