Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tell me about Brookes Saddles…..
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Worth the money? Do they really end up shaped to fit yer bum and are they really comfy?

ta

MrNutt
    Free Member

they’re a fad, it’ll never catch on, like that internets thing, just a flash in the pan.

RustySpanner

Been very happy with mine, both B17 Narrows.

Fist was used on-road only and took about six months. It just got better and better over the next five or six years, but was eventually stolen along with my road bike yonks ago.

Sick of crappy OE saddles I bit the bullet and bought another one a couple of years ago. Used both on and off road, it was broken in after a couple of months and several soaking, muddy off road rides – result!

Only probs? They need looking after and weigh a ton.
    B17 in any of it’s incarnations not really perfect for off road as the bag loops threaten to rip yer tackle off as you hang off the back.
    You need to measure against your favourite saddle to ensure you buy the correct width.
    And they are not expensive, both mine cost about £40.00.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve had one for a couple of years now – a standard B17. I must have a Brooks-shaped bum, because it was really comfortable right from the start even wearing normal trousers. It’s been swapped between both my bikes for the last couple of years, so gets daily use and is left outside at work in the rain and the snow. Only used the proofide stuff a couple of times.

ski
    Free Member

I sold my Ti Swift off my commuter, regretted selling it nearly straight away (Tom if you are watching, can I buy it back 😉

Quite slippery when new, felt like I was slipping about all over the place at first, mine felt comfortable from day one though

Leather did sag a bit when it got wet, used loads of their pro hide stuff underneath the saddle which helped.

The length of the rails also meant I needed to use a layback post to get the right position.

Ti Swift version is not that heavy tbh, if you can afford the new price that is 😉

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve seen it suggested that you can cover the outer of the saddle in foil and sit it upside-down in a baking tray, then fill the inside of the saddle with oil (linseed?) and leave overnight to really soak in.

RustySpanner

I believe you can now buy ‘aged’ versions, pre broken in.
    Sounds like a good idea, but guess we’ll have to wait 50-60 years to see if the lifespan has been affected. 🙂

andym
    Free Member

They seem to be very popular with the sort of people who who go on endlessly about their Trangia stoves.

My experience is that it like any other saddle it depends on whether the shape suits your bum. Loads of people really rate the B17, but personally I find it too short. Be prepared to take a few hundred miles breaking it in.

I much prefer my Selle Anatomica which is waterproof as well.

RustySpanner

AndyM:

Yeah, you’re right, the “Keep it real” brigade love them 🙂
    However, unlike Trangia’s, ringworm & slavery they still seem relevant today.

Oh, and if you regularly lend your bike to someone else, they won’t find you’re broken in saddle as comfy as you do. It’s like borrowing someone else’s shoes. Even if they fit, they don’t feel right.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Brookes Saddles…..’ is closed to new replies.