Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tell me about… laying lawn turf
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So – next week I am digging out a flowerbed and path and turning it to lawn – should I just lay the new turf onto the freshly-dug space or do I need to do anything first (ie lay onto a layer of sharp sand)?

ta

cynic-al
    Free Member

I asked a week or 2 ago adn got constructive advice, plenty on google also.

I may just get some pros in…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I may just get some pros in…

Office hands… 😉

yossarian
    Free Member

just make sure you’ve got up the big stones and that the area is level, and I mean properly level.

nostoc
    Free Member

Firm it down well – don’t over-compact it, just tread it down so it won’t settle unevenly later
    It is just the right time of year to seed it if you want to save money

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

t is just the right time of year to seed it if you want to save money

Yes we had considered this but we want it to be ready so our little girls can get out on it almost straight away and it isn’t a massive area anyway (about £50 worth of turf max we reckon).

thepurist

Even if you lay turf you’ll need to the kids from playing on it for a few weeks anyway otherwise it’ll just rip up.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I thought it was a week or two before it could be walked on? Surely it will be quicker than waiting for grass seed to come through enough to walk on in any case?

BTW – they are only small kiddies (1yr old) so it will only be light walking on it occasionally, not dragging around heavy toys all day every day.

Drac

When I’ve looked but never got sorted I found this site to be useful.

http://www.onlineturf.co.uk/content/247

cynic-al
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Office hands…

Someone to sue if it goes **** up more like!

I like the seeding idea though…could I do that in a month’s time or would that be too late?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I like the seeding idea though…could I do that in a month’s time or would that be too late?

I must admit it WAS my first idea (and one of the main reasons I am doing it straight away) but then I decided, for the small cost, I would rather get turf down straight away.

I too have office hands but I love getting stuck in to this stuff – hiring a man with a mini-digger for the day to help (only £170 – bargain) as we have several trees and bushes to remove as well as digging up the path and removing a boundary wall.

Where’s th’ammer?

thepurist

If they’re tiny kids then yeah, not such a big issue. Had a client with 2 10 yr olds who was pretty dissapointed when I suggested they shouldn’t be playing football on their day old lawn (with goals set up and everything) when I turned up for a site visit…

You’ll still need to make sure it’s watered though so it’ll need a good drenching now & again, but you can prob do that after they’re indoors & it’ll be fine by the morning.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers purist – and I have a hosepipe/sprinkler sorted out for regular sprinking 🙂

Dobbo

It’s pretty easy.

Dig down about 18 inches, add half decent soil, kill weeds, walk on a bit, lay turf, the water it a lot regularly. We did our in Autumn so it’s just hard first cut and not been walked on much since laid.

Before

After

nostoc
    Free Member

You can sow seed any time the soil is warm enough to germinate but the idea is that in april you will also have sufficient moisture so as not to need extra watering. If you are in Scotland things may run a bit later.

gusamc
    Free Member

dig, remove weeds etc etc
    level
    rake and remove stones bigger that 10mm
    repeat above two steps till done
    tramp/firm down earth (but not too much)
    lay turf (butt ends up firmly so nearly overlapping(ie no gaps and very tight fit) do like brickwork pattern (ie avoid long straight lines) – use planks to avoid standing on laid stuff
    water and stay off
    repeat step above a lot for about 10 days

I found it surprisingly easy and rewarding (as compared to digging and removing a 4ft diamter tree root manualy) it was really easy and quick……

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dobbo, that’s a right shitty view you have thee…I’d much rather mine…another terrace 🙄

Anyway, m_f…we had ours done last year.

Preparation is key (as I’m sure you’re aware). Lots of rotovatin’ and weeding. Once the turf goes down, you need to saturate it at least once a day. I spent 20 minutes each day soaking it through and through and then a bit more again.

If the weather is dry, then you may need to do this twice a day 😯 to prevent shrinkage.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

smart – lots of good tips here thanks.

I shall resist willy waving about my view though 😉

Scamper
    Free Member

Did my lawn for the first time a few years ago and found it pretty easy and rewarding.

Rotorvated old turf into ground, raked to remove old clumps, stones etc

Think i then lightly wackerplated the ground to even it all out, then raked again to just break up the surface.

Laid turf making sure the joins are staggered and the turf laid very close together.

Watered twice daily for a week or two.

Jobs a good `un.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mastiles has saved me a post as I need to do an area of about 25 m2 again for 1 year old.

My questions..

Its borders that I am grassing, borders that have become over grown so there is all kinds of weeds and bush type things growing through. I’ve removed as much as possible, but I know when I did this last year loads grew back. Will the grass layer prevent stuff growing back ?

How much does turf cost? Quotes I have had locally are approx £3 m2 and both suppliers said there is no point paying more. Is this true?

Ta

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Make sure you get decent grass with a good backing of good turf – it should be about and inch & a half thick. Also make sure that the place you get it from has looked after it and it hasn’t dried out. DON’T get turf from a DIY store!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I shall resist willy waving about my view though

As will I about being surrounded by culture. 😛

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

🙂

ads-b
    Free Member

Other than the usual advice- make sure you get it very level with no stones under.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😛

Dobbo

I shall resist willy waving about my view though

TBH I hadn’t noticed it until you mentioned it. 8)

Hope the edited pics help!

cynic-al
    Free Member

DD you need a shower?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

DD you need a shower?

You’ve lost me 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about… laying lawn turf’ is closed to new replies.