Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Tell me about Turbo Trainers please.
  • fbk
    Free Member

Ok, so I need to improve my fitness for the summer but injuries mean I'm trying not to use my right hand too much.

A turbo trainer seem a sensible bet but I'm a bit new to the concept so, what makes a good one? what features should I be looking for? Anything I should avoid? What are the pros and cons of magnetic vs fluid? Any tips on using one? Anyone got a good one they're looking to sell? 😉

I've got a MTB HT or a road bike I can put on it so pretty flexible.

Thank you 🙂

Starrman28
    Free Member

1.A bit boring 2. Sweaty 3. Really good way to keep/get fit if you can put up with 1 & 2. 🙂

Joxster
    Free Member

I've got one in the garage for sale, will work on a MTB and a road bike.

I hate them, spent many a long dark night doing 4hrs of intervals till I was sick or passed out.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I would suggest that Rollers are infinately more enjoyable than a Turbo, but it depends on how much you can use your injured hand. On a road bike with 53-11 gearing theres plenty of resistance to get a good work out, and the balancing keeps you occupied

Phatman
    Free Member

Noise?

Any particular turbos that could be used in a flat without making enemies?

trail_rat
    Free Member

not a elite ullrich pro anyway ….. mine upstages the washing machine…..

upstairs flat who is a deaf 90 year old (be her own admission) even complained and she hears NOTHING ….

and rollers any quieter ?

fbk
    Free Member

Hmm. Ok, so I get the bit about them being boring and noisy – I'm not sure how long I'll keep using it but it seems a necessary evil it the moment.

I've got a pretty full iPod that need some listening too anyway! 🙂

Rollers do look more "fun" but I need to keep pressure of my hand so not really practical.

Joxster – what ya got? P&P from Scotland may be prohibitive though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

tick. As much as I hate TT, it looks like I've just landed myself in the same boat.

Joxster
    Free Member

Turbo Trainer

One of these, brand new £90 including postage.

radoggair
    Free Member

got one at xmas, used 5 or 6 times.

really boring
    really boring
    really boring
    really boring
    realy bor…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

think u get the point. Tried ipod, reading magazines, cant get into it. Do half hour tops then get bored, jump off, eat chocolate, go on STW

samuri
    Free Member

To add to this, I'm after one nice and cheap. Obviously they're so heavy collection in person would be best so anywhere in the North West, Newcastle (upon tyne) or anywhere in between would be considered.

Mikey65
    Free Member

If you have some spare cash go for the Fortius/ I-magic Virtual Reality trainer (£400) http://www.tacxvr.com/en/products/i-magic ……Great fun and good training….There are VR websites http://www.vrcyclist.com/ that you can download rides from and "race" other peoples times which makes it a bit more interesting than a normal Turbo.Real life videos add to the training/riding and these are not easy. I did the Mt. Ventoux ride one day in winter and after 3 hours riding and less than a mile from the summit of the climb, the bloomin chain snapped, and that was in the shed.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Turbo trainers really good especially in the winter. Provided you have a structured training plan on them they aren't boring but are hard work. If you just sit and turn the pedals then time will stand still. The i trainers are ace if you can afford the. If not you can buy sufferfest downloads( fight club, downward spiral) both of which are very good

oldgit
    Free Member

Well worth having a set.
    I use mine in three ways. Training mainly through winter, Easing out injuries and pre event warm ups.

Come in usefull at 24s and also for setting up bike position.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I'm with Mikey65 – though I got the Elite RealAxiom. I couldn't imagine I would be able to keep using a normal turbo but so far am using the RealAxiom no problem. I have DVDs of real climbs and get all sorts of stats out of a session. I did find a 2nd hand a few months ago so saved money but now I wish I'd just bought a new one before lost winter as I'd be fitter now.

andrewy

Whatever you do, don't get a fan one; the're really noisy (think jet taking off). Also, I found using a heart rate moniter very good. You can really set a steady pace/heart rate on the turbo, much more so than on the road and it can make for a very hard session. But you will get fit if you stick to it.

fbk
    Free Member

Great. Thanks for the info. The digitally enhanced ones do sound good but a little out of my price league at the mo, especially for something I may not use much.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I've got a good one for sale.
    It's a Elite Hydro Crono Mag if you're any where near Watford.

mt
    Free Member

fbk – Member

Turbo trainers are a form of torture that has been around for a very long time. It's thought that the Spanish inquisition used them as a way to reform the wayward without actually causing permanent physical injury (saddle sore and piles were not seen as an injury, as the cure of a red hot poker up the ar.e was not popular) though the mental scares eventually lead to the start of the Reformation. A variation was used in depters prisons and the work houses in the 17 and 18th century. As a form of torture the turbo was banned by the Geneva convention before the 2nd world war due to the amounts of pain that can be self inflicted, particularly if a user becomes addicted. There has been no evidence that turbo trainers have been used by the CIA at Quantanamo as George Bush rufused to allow such inhuman torture.

Radioman

I went for a different but a bit more expensive solution…a Gym quality Schwinn spinning bike. Hardly any noise and totally solid "industrial" strength. I find turbos on bikes a bit wobbly and a faff.

I use it in the winter and have a fan in the room plus some music!! I find using a HRM keeps the training a bit more interesting… I made a special spinning compilation from my I-pod. Even so I rarely go over 40 mins!but in rotten weather in the winter its better than nothing and for me easier than going to the gym..

stevomcd
    Free Member

Something like http://www.thesufferfest.com more or less solves the boredom issues! (Too knackered to be bored).

fbk
    Free Member

Ti29er – did email you re the one you're selling. Not sure if you got it though ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Have a Look here neil for some ideas?

http://turbo-trainer.co.uk/

Colleague at work had a Cateye cs-1000 (discontinued) – I got his old one which is a basic Mag one and isn't too noisy – Fan ones I expect are noisy – The fluid ones are prob the quietist but more expensive 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Turbo Trainers please.’ is closed to new replies.