Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 196 total)
  • That razor you lot recommend?
  • Conqueror
    Free Member

That razor you lot recommend?

Was it the Merkur classic?

Can’t find the thread. Getting a bit annoyed with my Braun electric.

LsD
    Free Member

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/Double_Edge_Safety_Razors.html

Is where I got mine- there’s a few different Merkur razors to choose from

Stoner
    Free Member

Merkur progress is the one I have and very pleased with it too

saladdodger
    Free Member

I use the Muhle R89 ( thanks to a shaving post on this site last year) and I get the best shave every using it and I feel so clean afterwards

http://www.shaving-shack.com/muhle-r89-double-edged-chrome-safety-razor.html

A good razor may seem expensive and short term they are but worth every penny 10 blades for £3.00

motivforz
    Free Member

Or for cheapness compared to a merkur, get an old gillette superspeed or similar. I got one for £10 off ebay from the 60’s, chrome still perfect, nice to use. Depends on what you fancy though, if you like the look of merkur then go for it, I would if I had the cash.

spooky_b329

I got a Merkur Futur adjustable, mainly sticking with settings 2 and 3.

Been ploughing through a big trial box of assorted blades, getting on best with Astra Platinum (most confidence inspiring) and Feather (most comfortable). Gillette 7 o clock were the worst, nicks everywhere with plenty of blood, and Personna, Platinum Chrome and Supermax all merely average, generally felt blunt and suffered razor burn.

Should’ve chucked the Mach 3 out years ago, actually, the damn acne causing thing is still sitting in the bathroom…

Stoner
    Free Member

When I got my Merkur I got some sample blades (Feather, derby and Israeli) – this thread reminded me I needed a reload and Ive had best results with the unbranded Israeli ones so have just ordered another 30 of those, as well as some new shaving cream from shavingshack.

geoffj

I’m not trolling here – this is genuine question.

Why? I mean a mach 3 gives a great no-nonsense shave and takes me less than a minute in the shower.

Whay would I want to risk cutting my face to bits with one of these?
    Closer shave? More satisfying? What is it?

Stoner
    Free Member

smother shaving without clogging
    closer shave IMO
    very therapeutic, nice to take some time over yourself. If you’re in a rush, sure, grab a disposable.
    Something quite engaging about the simpler engineering. More base.

So in summary, it’s a personal thing mainly. Not necessarily better in all respects, just different.

Singlespeed of shaving if you will 🙂

geoffj

Singlespeed of shaving if you will

😯 😕 😐 🙂

matthewjb
    Free Member

matthewjb
    Free Member

I mean a mach 3 gives a great no-nonsense shave

I found the multi-bladed Gillettes didn’t actually shave that close.

My Merkur shaves much closer on one stroke. And I don’t seem to get a rash.

Also it’s cheaper. Even allowing for the higher cost of the razor, over time it’s much cheaper.

Multi-blades are a solution looking for a problem. How many blades are they up to now? 5? 6?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Singlespeed of shaving if you will

You said it.

However, I’m tempted. 🙂

freddyg
    Free Member

I have just chucked my mach3 after 3 months of shaving with my safety razors. I kept the mach3 as I have an early rush off on a Monday morning, so wanted to have a quick shave. Even with a new blade, after the safety razor, the mach3 felt blunt. It dragged.

I wish I’d started this years ago. Nice smooth shaves and the rash has completely gone. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I always found mach3’s iritated my face, got a cheepie safety razor for boots for about a fiver and the cheep wilkinson sword blades, it was a revelation!

I then got a merkur progress (the longer of the 2 versions) and the difference is similar again.

Mach3’s might get it about as close as the closest setting on the merkur, but……

M3 clogs ever few cm even with just a weeks stubble, the merkur will cut a 4month beard off without even needing a rinse,

M3 ‘feels’ blunt, and my face backs this up by getting the same rash if I leave the blades in the merkur too long

As for blades, I’ve about 20 packs in the cupboard, some are stupefyingly sharp and take a lot of care to avoid a bloodbath, others are more usable form the start, if you’ve been used to disposables start with cheep blades and a cheep boots safety, its much harder to cut yourself.

Stoner
    Free Member

the trade off of a safety razor multi-blade disposable is that to be safe they have to keep the blades away from your face.
    Anyone remember that rubbish wilkinson sword with wire over the blades?

With a DE razor your face has no protection from your cack-handeness, but the blade does get to be presented much closer to the face.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Did you cut the shit out of your face the first few times you used it?

I bought a mate a shaving brush and some soap and a dish for his birthday and the brush and dish were so nicely designed I wanted a set myself 🙂

What’s a good compromise between giving a go without breaking the bank if I really hate it?

M3 clogs ever few cm even with just a weeks stubble

I hate that too.

Stoner
    Free Member

no, very little butchery. But get yourself a styptic pencil to stem any nicks (its made of alum block and causes skin/pores to tighten stopping bleeding)

http://www.shaving-shack.com/

see how cheap you can set yourself up with some cream, a starter pack of blades, cheap Dual Edged safety razor and styptic pencil from here. I reckon less than £30. £30.74 + £4 p&p

EDIT
    I very often only shave once a week prior to a trip into London to a client site. I have a very tough beard and after a week, with a disposable razor I can only shave a cm or two before it clogs and needs a very hefty rinse. WIth the Merkur I can shave my whole face without clogging, but usually do so and flip sides as well. It does become a bit of a ritual. A nice one.

freddyg
    Free Member

My first go was terrifying but didn’t cut myself. I’ve had a couple of nicks over the last few months, but only when I’ve been a bit slap-dash.

I bought an old Gillette Tech off eBay for less than a tenner, a sample pack of 90 blades and I already used a brush and soap. It was a complete revelation. Give it a go, it doesn’t cost much and gives a great result. Plus you actually have a pleasurable experience.

Edit. The missus prefers it too and even bought me a Merkur progress for Christmas.

Pah, stubble’s where it’s at.

I drag an electric stubble trimmer across my chops every 3-4 days. No rash, no cuts and I look cool.

(note – looking cool is subjective and hampered by the fact I look like I’ve been chasing parked cars, but hey ho – still no shaving rash)

Cougar

I’m pretty much the same as Stoner.

I bought a cheap soap and brush from Tesco to try it (less than a tenner for the pair), and it was a revelation. G/f bought me a proper one last year and it’s -lovely-.

After discussion here, I took the same approach with a DE razor, and picked up an el cheapo one from Boots. I’ve not really reported back since, so, hiya.

In honesty, I’m underwhelmed. I’ve not written it off yet, but if I’m in any sort of rush I’ll go for the Sensor. The DE seems to give me a comparable shave to the Sensor, only it takes longer.

Now. I appreciate that I’m using entry-level stuff. My current thinking is that a good razor or decent blades might make all the difference; however, I’m loathe to spend a lot of money in case I’m wrong.

What do other readers think? Worth a punt on blades at least?

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.shaving-shack.com/10-feather-10-derby-extra-10-israeli-made-double-edged-razor-blades.html

£7 ish with free p&p

Blades are weird, the sharpest arent necessarily the closest, the bluntest not necessarily the most butchery, and enough votes for each of the blades to conclude that blade choice is really personal.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Hey Cougar, I’ve got a spare ’60s Gillette you can try if you want – happy to send it over.

chewkw
    Free Member

or a reasonable start-up kit:

1) Safety Razor: Merkur Progress Safety Razor 500 (£40 – £45)

2) Safety razor blade: 200 Personna Red Israeli Bulk Pack £13.46 or buy sample blades. Astra is also good but a bit more expensive.

here

3) Shaving soap/stick: Palmolive shaving stick: 50p from Tesco / Morrison etc. Buy two grind down using cheese grater into a shaving bowl. Press it hard to make them compact. There you go £1 shaving soap. Or if you use shaving stick then you rub the shaving stick onto your face. Face lathering.

This

4) Shaving brush – Badger/Boar: £25 – £30.

Any from here.

5) Shaving bowl: small Pyrex glass bowl from Lakeland £3 or spare bowl in your kitchen.

6) Aftershave/balm: Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm £4 – £6. (little to no scent) They are good and you can apply aftershave before or after as you like them.

7) Aftershave lotion/splash-on: whatever you like too many to mention.

There you go:

1) The lower end budget based on the above price = £86.46
    2) The higher end budged based on the above = £98.46.

But you can still reduce them further if you try:

1) Edwin Jagger DE Safety Razor DE87 = £20 – £25.
    2) use a Boar brush = £14
    I have this one
    3) Blades as above as Personna is rather good. £13.46
    4) Shave stick = £1.
    5) The rest whatever is available to you.

Total = approx £53.50

200 blades will easily last you a year unless you are a blue beard. Shaving stick x2 using face lathering easily 6 months. (grate into bowl will last half that)
    Safety razor … at least 10 years easy if you take care of it.
    Shaving brush at least 5 to 10 years easy if you take care of it.

🙂

p/s: styptic pencil : £2 from Boots, Superdrug, etc

Woody
    Free Member

Cougar

There is a big difference between razors and blades and you need to experiment to find what suits you best. As said above, I’m not keen on 7 o’clock blades either

I bought a cheap Boots one and also an old ‘travelling’ Gillette. They are both ok but compared to my more ‘expensive’ Parker (£21 with 6 blades) and Merkur, can’t remember the model, the difference is chalk and cheese. Used properly with a decent brush and soap, I only need to shave every other day when at work, there is no way I’d have got away with that using a multi-blade.

After the initial outlay you will save a fortune AND get a much more enjoyable closer shave.

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

After discussion here, I took the same approach with a DE razor, and picked up an el cheapo one from Boots. I’ve not really reported back since, so, hiya.

Cougar … try the one suggested above and you will see the different. Be patience with your technique. It is all about angle of the blade. Do Not apply pressure, like Sensor, and let the blade does the job. Also try sample of blades. The one in boots might not work for you but others might.

p/s: All my safety razors are Gillette from 1940s to late 1960s.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve one of these that does a fairly nice shave

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t get it. Surely it’s the blade that’s the important part with one of these – the razor is simply holding the blade in the right place. Surely a cheapy one does just a good a job of that as these niche expensive ones people are suggesting?

chewkw
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

I’ve one of these that does a fairly nice shave

That’s not a knife …

This is a knife … Trueways Survival Tool (LMk2) AKA Lofty Wiseman (Mk2)

Or perhaps this one by Chris Caine.

😆

p/s: I am getting one of them too …

tron
    Free Member

P&G (Gilette) and Wilkinson bring their new products in to my work (in exchange for donations to charity if you want a razor) when they launch them, so I’ve tried most razors going excepting KoS.

I’ve used double edge razors in the past, and thought it was the only way I could get a really good shave. Ended up using Mach 3 on a day to day basis as the shave was OK, and I could shave without paying too much attention and no risk of cutting myself, and the blades weren’t too dear.

Recently we’ve had both Wilkinson’s and Gilette’s latest, and the Wilkinson hydro is spot on in my view. I was surprised, as I’ve always seen the Wilkinson razors as lagging behind Gilette. The new Fusion is pretty similar to the old Fusion, but blades are silly money. The Hydro gives me a shave very nearly as good as I could get with an old school razor, with no aggro and blades that are a) cheap (think similar prices to Mach 3 blades) and b) last well. Use KoS oil and some shaving gel from a can, and you’re sorted.

Your mileage, may of course vary. All faces are different 😆

montylikesbeer

parker model 91r

Progress vulfix 660pure-badger

The above two for a cheap lead in to more nicheness and what have you

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve always wonder about getting a proper razor as I get through 1 Mach 3 blade per week (shaving 5 or 6 days).

I need to shave quickly in a morning though and a Mach 3 never nicks me but I do think the cost of blades is ridiculous for some thing that last such as short time.

Reading the above it sounds like you need to take your time with proper razors, or have I got that wrong?

Woody
    Free Member

It is probably best to take your time initially until you get used to it but IME all the scare stories about bloodbaths are unfounded. The key, as chewkw has pointed out, is not to use any pressure and let the blade do the work.

If I’m in a hurry I reckon that it takes me about a minute longer than using a multi-blade, which is the extra time it takes to soap up and then rinse the brush at the end. Having said that, I tend to shave at night now and take my time as there is something quite satisfying about doing it properly.

There are plenty videos on youtube, the one below takes 10 minutes but I’m sure I normally take considerably less than that (I’ll time it later as I’ve 3 days growth I need to get rid of!) 45 minutes is just silly for noobs and best ignored!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSIP6uQ3EI&feature=channel[/video]

sharkbait
    Free Member

Reading the above it sounds like you need to take your time with proper razors, or have I got that wrong?

Initially, yes. Once you’ve go the hang of it (and this includes finding the blades that you prefer) it can be almost as quick as a multi-blade.
    One of the main differences is that I (and everybody else who uses a DE razor) find that shaving actually becomes enjoyable and not something to be rushed. For this reason quite a few people will actually shave at night instead of the morning as you still don’t have any stubble the next day.

sv

+1 for the Parker DE razor, very nice quality. Feather blades work very well for me.

sharkbait
    Free Member

With regards to not applying pressure, I’ve found that the old Gillettes are mostly quite light which makes you think you need to apply pressure. My Merkur Future is pretty heavy and you litterally just let it float over your skin for a great shave.
    The Merkur also makes a great noise as it’s cutting the hairs and this actually helps you get the correct angle to start with.

Stoner
    Free Member

For this reason quite a few people will actually shave at night instead of the morning as you still don’t have any stubble the next day.

indeed. I shave in the shower* the night before the trip to the client’s so I don’t have a ridiculously early start. The close shave lasts all of the next day before a shadow starts to appear again.

* Unless I soap up in a shower I can never get my beard wet enough for long enough to make it comfortable for shaving. I have silly tough hair. I have a 5″ diameter circular mirror that sucker cups to the shower screen. Easy.

poppa
    Free Member

Interested in this, couple of Q’s.

1. Do you have to use shaving soap if you use a ‘proper’ razor? Is there any reason why you can’t use foam or oil if you are in a hurry?
    2. What is the technique, is there a difference?

Stoner
    Free Member

1) you can use whatever lube/soap you like, but a nice soap lather makes for a well lubed, cushioned shave. And you can afford to make a nice thick one as DEs dont clog. It takes all of 30 seconds to get a nice lather up and on your face, so I dont see it as taking any more time.

2) loads of tips on sales sites/you tube on technique. Its usually a personal thing but the most important one I’d say is “dont put much weight on the razor, let it do the work”

mafiafish
    Free Member

I may get some stick for this but off the mass produced razors I’ve tried the venus is by far the most comfortable, least irritating.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 196 total)

The topic ‘That razor you lot recommend?’ is closed to new replies.