Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • The Lakes – Climb every mountain, ford every stream……..
  • fergal
    Free Member

The Lakes epitomises everything great about mountain biking for me, please inspire with photos of derring do and suggestions of the best tours and descents……. follow every rainbow, ’til you find your dream!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Tour of coniston finnishing off with one of the best decents in the lakes,walna scar.

fergal
    Free Member

It’s on the to do list for this year, which is the best way to get to the Walna scar rode from Coniston.

Drac

Lakes July 09 by Lee Collis, on Flickr

Lakes July 09 by Lee Collis, on Flickr

crazy-legs

Best way up to Walna Scar Road is to climb up from Seathwaite here

Absolute pig of a climb though.

You can also come up from Jackson Ground on this track here but that is MUCH better as a descent.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Itis up hill opp the pier turning with a car park at the bottom of t the scar. We tend to loop Consiton firt then do walna last to end at the car park. Long long ride though and the last climb is a killer.
    Enjoy the jump in the middle!!
    We come up the trail ^^^^ said is best as a downhill from seathwaite is a killer climb and looks very impossing then you need to get back there as well

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

If you just want to do walna scar i would suggest setting off from torver,up onto broughton moor,stephenson ground,cracking decent down to seathwaite followed by a long climb up to the top of walna scar.then it’s downhill all the way 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Heading up Black Combe last month…

At top…

On way back down…

Dick Turpin riding an Orange Five to top of Crag Fell…

freeridenick
    Free Member
    clareymorris

Is that Mr Wier there?!

chakaping
    Free Member

Is that Mr Wier there?!

Certainly is. He always puts me up when I’m oop north.

🙂

simon1975

High Street October 2010:

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Not done all that much Lakes riding. Hopefully I can get lots more in this year.

Kind of duff pics, but the riding was incredible. Straight up Nan Bield, then down the way we came.

Windy on top.

The pictures don’t do the radness justice. This bit was incredibly rad. To the max.

I’ll take a full susser myself next time…

fergal
    Free Member

Freeridenick top draw, incredible set of pics, my forensic department are trying to come up with locations, so far:
    Nan Bield
    Ullock
    Loughrig Terrace
    Lowerman
    Rosset gill, could you please explain how, with panache or with a lot of pain, do you ride short sections to get them wired or assault the whole thing? pretty full on either way.
    Causey pike?
    Anyone for any more.

fergal
    Free Member

Ckakaping brrr…good to see we are not all fair weather ninja’s.

Blackcombe not sure where that is.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Causey pike?

Causey Pike’s fun but it’s more fun taking in the whole of the Coledale Horseshoe. Lots of options up and down, good clockwise or anti-clockwise.

anc
    Free Member

Can’t see causey in nick’s set, Blencathra, bowdale hause or warnscale bottom, perhaps. Not sure which piccy you mean. Blackcombs near millom duddon est, south coast cumbria.

fergal
    Free Member

Yeah sorry wasn’t sure whether Causey pike was in there, yep just clocked Blencathra at the end, is that the voi normal.

Parkedtiger sorry to dig but what is the best descent off Causey there are a few options.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

If you just want to do walna scar i would suggest setting off from torver,up onto broughton moor,stephenson ground,cracking decent down to seathwaite followed by a long climb up to the top of walna scar.then it’s downhill all the way

Yep, that’s the way we do it. Get a nice mix of singletrack and rocky trails on that loop. Most (if not all) is rideable as well – I can’t ride up the back of Walna but it is possible; I’m just lazy.

anc
    Free Member

Off the front after a wee scramble off Causey top there isn’t really any other viable option. The options he’s on about are the various descents on the Coledale horseshoe. Causeys a bit of a straight up and down affair, doesn’t take long.

freeridenick
    Free Member

all sorts in there

Skiddaw
    Blencathra
    Stake Pass
    Black sail pass
    Helvellyn
    Warnscale bottom
    Boredale Hause

Rosset is proper hard and scary 😯
    Attack and hope for the best!

DavidM
    Free Member

Bliss

fergal
    Free Member

Search high and low….superb, showing my ignorance again, Black sail down to Wasdale purchance?

nickb

A couple from High Street

and one on Parkamoor

EDIT – is it just me, or do none of these images work? Anyone else having problems sharing photos from Flickr?

fergal
    Free Member

Not working.

DavidM is that one ride or many, got to be Black sail?

fergal
    Free Member

To any Lakes regulars if you were doing Whiteless Pike then cutting up to Sail pass, which descent would you take, along ridge to Causey pike or down Rigg Beck?

DavidM
    Free Member

A few different rides in there Fergal. In ascending order its Walna Scar, Stake Pass, Honister, Dropping down to Sty Head and the gnarlier of the two Patterdale – Howtown trails.
    More Lakes based nonsense here for anyone who is interested

chakaping
    Free Member

Fergal – Black Combe is quite a steep push/ride up (more than an hour) and then five mins or so bombing back down, not technical but great fun – and no gates.

Stopadoodledoo – I might be wrong but I think I had a chat about the Lakes with you in Aston Hill car park last year.

JohnClimber
    Free Member
    clareymorris

JC I see your cloud inversion and raise you 2 more………
    Helvellyn

and Howgills

OOh and a cheeky Tuesday night sunset to finish off!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

clareymorris FWORR! 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

fergal
    Free Member

Sorry guys but i’m determined to keep my theme going…follow every byway, every path you know..climb..

Quite a juxtaposition there David, good skills!

stoney
    Free Member

Here`s a few of my offerings……

Here`s Clarymorris!!!!

Ford every stream……

Fancy dress snowball fight 😆

And following on from CM`s post..a couple of sunsetty ones…

😛

clareymorris

I was just going to comment on how lucky we are living up here – but actually I chose to move here so luck has nothing to do with it 😀

BTW Andy that b+w one of you is ace!

stoney
    Free Member

It`s a pleasure living here and what a playground we have eh?

Pic of me C/O Gav….. 😛

anc
    Free Member

Didn’t feel that lucky out tonight mind….. Roll on spring! Bored of getting soaked 😕

lowey

On a very dark day for me your pics have made me smile. HB Clarey!

fergal
    Free Member

anc could you solve my dilema regarding rigg beck or Causey pike as descent options in that direction, Which is best, appreciated.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq85/poorlybottoms/ClaifeTarnHowsDec2009041.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5D[IMG]http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq85/poorlybottoms/ClaifeTarnHowsDec2009041.jpg[/IMG]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘The Lakes – Climb every mountain, ford every stream……..’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts