Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The Mother Of All Child Seats?
  • hpil
    Free Member

OK, so i’m the proud owner of an SC Heckler (2006)and two daughters (2006 and 2008), and i wanted to take them all on holiday. Quite fortuitously, I found that the mounting block for a Hamax kiddie seat would fit on the upright section of the rear triangle (as opposed to the seat post upright), and the extra bar for small framed bikes would still allow the seat to be positioned sufficiently far back. This means the kiddie seat can go on the Heckler but be mounted on the rear triangle and thus independant of the shock – no need to muck around with shock settings and minimal launching around of child.
    This is the MkI…

It’s worked a treat for a couple of years – wouldn’t go down red routes or anything but ok for mild off-road and canal towpaths etc. Trouble is, daughter#1 is now pushing 15kg and when loaded up there is only an inch of clearance between the back wheel and the underside of the kiddie seat frame – the slightest bump and i have a 15kg brake on the back wheel, and it’s even worse if the kiddie seat starts bouncing in rhythm when you’re cycling uphill.
    So i made one of these from a couple of gas struts bought off the interweb:

The ‘L’ shaped brackets sit over the rear axle and clamp up tight with the quick release, and the upside down U shaped bracket bolts to the underside of the kiddie seat support frame, and, ta-daa…

now i can take all my babies on holiday, and its a two minute job (if that) to pop the quick release, press the release button on the seat mounting block and convert to child-free set-up.

The (almost) finished article – skinny innertube on left strut to preserve rod and seals from muck, inner tube still to be fitted to right strut.
    Obviously i’m not intending to do any serious stuff when loaded up with progeny (and i dont really want to think what the SC warranty guys might say), i just want to be able to take the good bike on holiday, pootle around country lanes with the family and enjoy the bike properly should i be granted an afternoon off…

matt_outandabout

8) 😆

(but would a trailer not be better?)

sc-xc

The rear seat is ace. Not too sure about the blue/red one up front though.

hpil
    Free Member

Don’t have room for a trailer in the car, there’s less rolling resistance for off-road stuff, and it’s easier to negotiate gates etc. Having said that, i suspect the time will come when a trailer (or probably trailer-bike) will become necessary…

Dango
    Free Member

Looks good IMO

sheeps

Never trust a shit engineer 🙂

GW
    Free Member

with the seat attached to the swing arm don't you run the risk of squashing your daughter between the saddle and her kiddie seat if it bottoms out? (or have you regularly squashed her and just don't care/notice?)

Smee
    Free Member

They say that a good engineer is someone who can make something for a penny that any fool can make for a pound. Could you not have just put the very first clamp on the seat post?

dawson

Sir Sheldon of Brown had a good suggestion…

http://sheldonbrown.com/carrababy.html
    😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

Would you make another rear like yours? I also have a Heckler and a Hamax for a daughter who doesn't like bouncing off 2.4 ADvantage.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Could you not have just put the very first clamp on the seat post?

That's what I did on my Heckler. It seemed to work OK.

I was more concerned with the extra weight overloading the suspension.

So last year I took my Chameleon on holiday instead of the Heckler.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘The Mother Of All Child Seats?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM