Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • This is how rides should be…
  • flamejob
    Free Member

A couple of weeks ago I put some used tyres on a forum 'free to collector- cake appreciated' and this bloke turns up with a lovely tray of fresh cakes from the local bakery.

He has a look around my place and susses that I am a keen biker, probably the AM, DH, HT and road bikes decorating the walls of my apartment. After a bit of chat he says 'hey do you fancy coming on a ride this Sunday? There will be beer and food!'. As it happened Mrs Flamejob was going away so I said yes on the spot.

I had a look on their forum to check which genre I would be riding and prepared my Specialized Pitch with more XC oriented tyres, bought a new CamelBak bladder and gathered my All Mountain kit.

My new buddies picked me up from the edge of the city and we headed North at daybreak, chatting the normal banter about bike gear and previous exploits. We soon hit the carpark meeting spot on the edge of the town and saw we were some of the first there so we found a bar and had a caffeine boost, surrounded by retired gents starting their regime of Sunday drinking.

After kitting up there was soon an arc of about 150 riders, mainly on 6" bikes toting armour on their backs, being split into groups of about 12. Stickers were slapped on helmets denoting the colour of the group and we set off with two 'sherpers' from the local club to guide us; one at the front, one at the back.

The start of the riding consisted of steep granny ups, some of which were a walk. I had glanced at the elevation profile of the ride and noticed that the first climb was about 500m of relentless up, but it turned out that it was a chilled pace with lots of chatting.

At the summit of the climb the lead sherper donned his armour and said 'so.. who is the fastest down?' For some reason everyone pointed to me, so I pushed my seatpin lever cranked the TALAS knob on my 36's and we started an incredible, technical descent past some amazing buildings nestled into the folds of the hills.

This cycle of ups and downs continued for a couple of hours until at the end of a climb I saw a tent with ladies giving out beer, sarrano ham, cheese and snacks to a good humoured crowd all spattered in mud.

During the following six and a half hours of riding over incredibly varied terrain, through rivers and down truly epic ridgeline descents there were a few more food stops and when we returned to the car park there was a crew of blokes cooking pork cuts and chorizo on a griddle and more ice buckets filled to the brim with soft drinks and beer.

I was knackered but incredibly happy. The 'sherpers' were some of the best riders I have had the pleasure of riding with, those kind of blokes who are unassuming and modest, but rode their Nomads to the extent of their capability, up climbs that would scare trials riders and down rocky chutes that a lot of DH riders would double-take. I was honoured that they asked 'do you have a DH bike, here's my email address'.

In the end I was welcomed by complete strangers to ride a completely free, fun and well organised event that didn't involve any machismo or red tape. A fantastic day out.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, the Guildford locals know how to look after a fellow biker.

doug_basqueMTB.com

So true, it's been my experience too. I ride with a group of Spanish guys from foromtb who come from all over Spain to meet up and ride. Normally seems to be about 50 people. The first ride at the lunch stop I pulled out my sandwich and was about to start when I noticed that everyone was pulling stuff out of their backpacks, there was a table cloth, dried meats, cheese, wine, bread, chocolate and everyone was sharing it all. I felt like a total chump with my sandwich for 1 but of course I was welcome to share everyone's. Weekends away are fantastic with a total feast at the end of every ride and normally some great technical riding and good riders.

There wasn't a guy on a Nomad with triple clamp 888's up front? I know a guy that lives down your way that rides a bike like that. He's very, very handy on a bike!

alpin
    Free Member

😀

jealous.

sharki
    Free Member

Is jealous!

DenDennis
    Free Member

care to enlighten us where, pliz??

dinos donde tio!

brakes
    Free Member

wow, all that's missing is dancing girls

Curly68
    Free Member

That sounds fantastic! I ofund the pace hard going at the Retrobike meet at Thetford Forest as I usually ride with my kids, so fitness isn't great 😳 Walking up chatting sounds the way forward to me and blast down the descents, bliss!

flamejob
    Free Member

@doug there was this bloke, and a weird thing is I counted fifteen, yes 15, nomad riders from the club! I think they did a group buy direct from the 'states.

@DenDennis the ride was last Sunday in Cordoba

Here is a barcam video from one of my new mates, one of the tamer downhill sections; me in front. Normal rules apply – It was steeper, faster and more technical than it looks!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Flamejob, that could be him, I can't remember the colour scheme. Definitely the pisspot lid though and a set of goggles! Only thing was I would have expected him to be right at the front!

There's a lot of Nomad's I've found. Also a fair few Oranges 'cos a lot of the guys know Steve.

flamejob
    Free Member

This is a video from said bloke with dual crowns.

After the XC guys it gets to the kinda stuff I was talking about so go about 2 min in.

domjohn123
    Free Member

That riding looks awesome, wish we had that kind of terrain in Oxfordshire lol

rOcKeTdOg

Blimey how lucky are you?, terrain, weather and great blokes to ride with, how good were you in a previous life?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I like it that their pals who came to film them got there on Vespas.

flamejob
    Free Member

The Vespa made it up some pretty steep climbs!

It was great to have guys taking photos; like those ones you pay €20 for at major events… but for free!

Like this one

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So you're not gonna bother going out with them again I take it? 😉

matt_outandabout

Looks like Croydon to me.

easygroove
    Free Member

very refreshing

flamejob
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    So you're not gonna bother going out with them again I take it?

Naa… it was rubbish really. I mean there was no one on a 29er, no singlespeeds… there were guys wearing lycra on 6" bikes and I even saw a bloke with barends on risers. One guy even had the gaul to put first generation 36s on a current Intense Tracer.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘This is how rides should be…’ is closed to new replies.