Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Today was a really Good Friday
  • bigsi
    Free Member

Finally made up my mind on sizing for the new frame having got to Freeborn in Horsham with forks, wheel, stem & bars to sit on an L & XL frame losely built up (cheers to Paul 2 for all his time & efforts)

Decided on the XL as the L was just a bit too cramped for my liking and got it built up today when i got home with bits from the Swift (RIP).

Not had a chance to get out on it yet but looking forward to tomorrows ride 😀

btw I'm not one for lining up logos and valves. 😉

PSA – Freeborn only have a large & medium frame left and have said they aren't getting any more Paradox frames in till next years ones are released by Banshee in November so if you want one be quick. 😯

KevinPP
    Free Member

Nice looking frame Si. At that size it makes your 29er wheels look 'normal' if you know what I mean.
    Its going to get a very muddy christening today methinks.

bigsi
    Free Member

Cheers Kevin. It did get muddy for about an hour till i managed to do this to the rear hub

BoardinBob

😯

How the hell did you do that?

bigsi
    Free Member

BB – Got to the bottom of a short sharp climb, changed in to granny ring and into the large sprocket on the cassette and heard a loud bang at the same time as the pedals slipped slightly, walked it to the top of the hill and this was the aftermath. 90 minute walk home ensued 🙁

samuri
    Free Member

That's quite impressive, looks like something I'd manage although I can't ever remember snapping a hub in half. Chapeau!

bigsi
    Free Member

The reaction of my lbs mechanic and those involved in the ride is not printable but no one had ever seen a hub split in half before !!!

Anyone know how much a Hope ProII freehub body costs 😕

matthew_h
    Free Member

Unfortunately, it's not all that uncommon with Pro IIs. Seen a few and heard of more that have done that.

bigsi
    Free Member

matthew – really ? Are there stronger alternatives for similar money available then.

Oh and has anyone got any idea if its covered by warranty, i bought it new in late 2007 ?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I'm sure if you send it back to Hope they'll help you out.

Looks for hubs with forged shells rather than machined. They are usually stronger.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

another broken rear Pro II. I believe it was only a batch that were like this? and it was probably around that time. contact hope and i reckon they'd sort it for free.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hope-pro-2-rear-hub-failure-warranty-details-please
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12577466&highlight=cracked+rear+hope+pro

matthew_h
    Free Member

Companies always use the "it was just a dodgy batch" phrase to try to reinstall some faith. Not sure I believe it myself.

bigsi
    Free Member

Hmmm, interesting threads there, cheers.

My lbs are going to ring Hope for me on Tuesday to see what they say but it sounds like the same problems as have cropped up before.

Fingers crossed for a free replacement.

solarider
    Free Member

Makes me worried for mine. They do all look like identical faults.

Out of interest, do Hope rebuild your wheel when this happens? Changing the hub FOC is good service, but not if you then have to fork out for a rebuild and new spokes.

bigsi
    Free Member

Solarider – It sounds like exactly the same fault/break. It runs from the spoke hole across the hub body to the other side. I had no warning and had only built the bike the night before having cleaned the hub and there was no cracks showing that i noticed.

I'm going to push for a free wheel build as i don't see why i should pay out for one as its obviously a known manufacturing fault and nothing i have done wrong.

Worst case senario and I'll get one of the SLX 29er specific hubs for £35 from CRC.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Today was a really Good Friday’ is closed to new replies.