Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Tools in handluggae on easyjet?
  • yoshimi

So got down to 32kg last night…………it was a struggle. Very pleased with myself – then realized I’ve not packed any toiletries!

Can you put the following things in hand luggage? Y or N?
    Pedals
    Allen keys
    Adjustable Spanner
    Disk Rotors

Del

of course. so long as you’re happy to give them to the nice security man.
    put it in your hold luggage.

Gooner
    Free Member

No, i would nt
    i had a spanner and screwdriver conficated last year and a mate had his shock pump confiscated from hand luggage

not sure about rotors but i would nt risk it as it is probably down to the “jobsworth” on duty that day

stealthcat

Buy toiletries when you get there? Or take small ones that are within the limits? Superdrug have a pretty impressive range of mini-toiletries for travelling…

I’d think allen keys would be just about OK, and I’m fairly sure I’ve had pedals in hand luggage before, but that was an internal BA flight. I can’t see why they’d object to disc rotors, but the AJ might be considered a dangerous weapon!

woodsman
    Free Member

N

Don’t be silly

joemarshall
    Free Member

I spent ages once convincing a security guy that an alley key set was not sharp after I accidentally left it in my carry on bag. I got it through in the end, but it is not worth the hassle.

Joe

steveh

Do you mean 32kg total or for the bike? I’m guessing total. If so don’t worry you’ve got 20kg still to play with at no charge. in easyjets conditions of carriage it says…..

1) Carriage of bicycles:

The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag
    Only one bicycle per bicycle box or bag will be permitted
    No other items can be carried in the bicycle box (i.e. clothing)
    The handlebars must be flush with the frame
    The pedals must be flush against the frame or removed

Passengers travelling with bicycles are recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure. Bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle.

From this link section 10.
    http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html

Pring this out and take it with you to the airport. I’ve never had any trouble with this to show them. You can start taking things again now!

sofatester
    Free Member

No.

crazy-legs

It’s just not worth the hassle and you almost certainly won’t get through with them anyway. Leave the rotors on the wheels, just pad with cardboard.

cynic-al
    Free Member

flew with them last week. 32kg is the limit for all your check in bags including the bike.

I had pedals in my carry on which was fine. I’ve also had Allen key sets in without problem. But it’s pretty aribitrary IMO

grumm
    Free Member

I certainly wouldn’t risk it.

I had a swiss army card confiscated, though they missed my park multitool which has a knife on it. 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

cynic-al – the above posted by steveh is correct

We had their CS director at Luton confirm it to us & his staff last year – the problem is most of the check in staff don’t seem to know this rule so make sure you print it all out & push it under their nose if the argue [not easy abroad]

yoshimi
    There’ll be a Boots [or similar] air-side, just buy your Lynx there

Gooner
    Free Member

32kg is the total weight including your bike ;

Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kg.

you can take up to 50kg but you will have to pay excess baggage costs on everything in excess of 32kgs

saying that Jet2 did nt weigh our bikes last week at either Leeds (outward) or Geneva (return)

mrsflash
    Free Member

My dad has had nail clippers confiscated before so no way will you be able to take what you’re listing.

Second what gooner said about Jet2 not weighing the bikes.

sv

All confiscated stuff can be reclaimed within 30 or 60 days IIRC.

steveh

Gooner not correct, the terms in my post above increases that limit to 52kg with bike and luggage. Not everyone knows hence print it out and take it with you. The bolded bit in previous post is the key, bikes are expempt from excess charges so as long as it’s below 32kg for manual handling regs and your suitcase is under 20kg you’re fine.

Cynic al if you had to pay excess baggage then get on to them and claim it back. As uplink says they don’t know their own rules.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You may be right but I would not have fancied your chances at Geneva.

Gooner
    Free Member

steveh/yoshimi,

i am wrong! stwveh is correct

your bike can weigh up to 32kgs – you pay £18.50 each way for this

you can then take another piece of hold luggage up to 20kgs

ring easyjet on 07812 882 236 and they will confirm this

grumm
    Free Member

sv you have to pay for them to store it for you though I believe – that’s what I was told at Liverpool Airport, and it wasn’t cheap.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

I’ve had a multitool (no knife on it just allen keys and screwdrivers) confiscated from hand luggage in the past. So I’d stick your tools in the hold bag if I were you.

sofatester
    Free Member

It’s getting stupid now.

WTF are you going to do with a multi tool on a plane? Unbolt the wings? Poke the pilot in the eye with the 3mm?

mrmo
    Free Member

got pulled up on zip ties, last time i flew.

I still can’t get my head round a conversation i had in Sydney with Check in.

“can i take this boomerang as hand luggage” (it was only a foot long)
    “yes, just don’t hit anyone or throw it around”

This was in ’04

thomthumb
    Free Member

Poke the pilot in the eye with the 3mm

it is possible!

never had my bike weighed – just throw them in the bike bag.

younggeoff

Hi all, I’ve just been on the phone to easyjet 08712 882236 and spoke to Claudio who was very helpful and steveh is correct. As long as the only thing in the bike bag is the bike i.e. sporting equipment it’s exempt from excess baggage charges so you can have your 20Kg hold bag and up to 32Kg of bike in a bike bag 🙂

yoshimi

Just rang customer services- hold suitcase is 20kg but if you pay extra for the bike which I have then you get an extra 12kg so bag plus bike is 32kg maximum

yoshimi

I’m seriously confused!

cynic-al
    Free Member

ha ha

steveh

As I said they don’t know their own rules, you get 32 plus 20kg. People i know have used my info to reclaim excess charges succesfully that they were charged wrongly at the time.

uplink
    Free Member

yoshimi
    ring them again & ask them to explain the bit about the bike being exempt from excess charges
    Point them to the relevant bit on the website

gusamc
    Free Member

re tools – no
    I got had over for having a 3inch long paper clip – honestly, they told me it could be dangerous ……….

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I flew out to Kaprun last year.

I payed £15 for my 32kg Bike box.

And still had the normal 20kgs aswel.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

mrmo – Member
    got pulled up on zip ties, last time i flew.

zip ties can be used as handcuffs

epicyclo

I usually protect my bike by packing rags around it.

Fortunately as a fashion trendsetter, I can get off with wearing rags at my destination 🙂

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

A mate of mine had his allen keys confiscate on one flight

SteveH – just to confirm then, youre saying that you can have 20kg luggage and 32kg for the bike? I did that last year and got seriously ripped off for excess baggage charges.I emailed Easyjet 5 times on return from my holiday only to be told that that was correct and that they have a “no refund policy”.How did you claim your fees back?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The maximum we’ve been allowed is 32kg total. Easyjet don’t weigh your hand luggage however, I got 18kg in mine… I once had to dismantle my multitool at security. Apparently Allen keys are OK, but Torx and Screwdrivers are a no-no. Wobbly multitools aren’t much fun…

steveh

foolish miracles – yes thats right the bit i posted above clearly states that bikes are exempt from charges for excess baggage once the fee is paid. Getting your money back now will be very difficult I imagine. If I had to pay and get money back i’d issue a small claims court against them for it, which they won’t defend (and if they do their terms back you up) and you will win. Luckily i never had to though.

Oliverd1981 – again you definitely have 52kg total they just don’t know their own rules well enough.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I don’t like to start my holiday by having an argument with easyjet staff, even if I’m right. At the current excess baggage rates I can’t afford to be wrong. Also I’m now seasoned at travelling under 32kg.

davesmum
    Free Member

Anything that could be seen used to cause damage is not too good an idea. The airline isn’t relevant as it isn’t easyjet who scan your hand luggage. I would have thought a pump would be ok, but screwdrivers and allen keys are a bit dubious.

Slightly off topic, but I frequently fly with a laptop bag full of cables, electronic boxes, ecu’s, etc and very infrequently get asked about it…. when I tell the nice german security man ‘getriebe ecu’, they just let me through and on my way.

duir
    Free Member

For hand luggage do not risk it. In my experience of UK airport security (which is extensive to the tune of 5-6 times a week) they are just getting worse and worse and worse. One of my cabin crew last week had to argue for 15 minutes to get her decanted yoghurt through staff search. The amount of yoghurt was not in question but the tub it was in had too high a value in ml on it. The guy just would not budge even though the tub was clearly 1/4 full so what hope do you have for obscure mtb tools and bit!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just emailed Sleazyjet requesting a refund on the charge.

Will let you know how it goes…not expecting much, might just dispute the payment with visa if it goes nowhere.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Tools in handluggae on easyjet?’ is closed to new replies.