• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by aP.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Torq 12:12 memories
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

After my other thread, I thought it would be nice to say how the event went for everyone.

The course in the dry was brilliant for me, zippy and planted. Chatted to some great riders, who as always made the event brilliant 🙂

Spot prizes at the end was excellent, lots of riders who just entered for fun or a challenge and didn’t expect to win anything ended up with holidays, brakes, mechs, Lights…. awesome stuff and great atmosphere.

Ricks

lateo
    Free Member

A quality race with some quality people both on and off the course

Hilight for me was the first beer after my first Solo… And the ‘bridge’ DJ out on the course! Never failed to get me pumped up for the second leg

The organisers did a brilliant job with the course – easily as enjoyable as many ‘headliner’ races pushed out by the MTB media

Definitely back for more of the same next year

fisherboy
    Free Member

Excellent course. Shame about the timing of the rain couldn’t have been worse. Strange how some of the single recovered but the fire roads seemed to get worse as the day went on. one of the best courses ive ridden.

Alejandro
    Free Member

First ever enduro for me, did it as a 3. Really enjoyed it, typical Gorrick course, lots of great fast flowing singletrack which holds up amazingly in the wet, well interspersed with fireroad sections to allow overtaking.

Highlights: atmosphere, good craic, everyone on the course was friendly, my new bike and the first time I’ve ridden it properly, the wet laps which I seemed to excel on (people seemed to have difficulty on it), being passed by an elite rider and seeing from a riders’ perspective just how bloody fast they are!

Bad things: my lack of endurance showing after just a couple of laps, the weather, attempting to drive back afterwards without falling asleep at the wheel.

Was a really good event, will be back next year for sure. A big thank you to the organisers if they are reading this, Gorrick races are always brilliant and this was no exception.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Great event yet again, even with the weather. I prefered it once it got sloppy and slidy, course held up great considering the amount of water that fell on it.

We rode it as a pair last year and did pretty well but went to mixed team this year so that we could help our mate who entered his 1st ever 12hr solo event. Chris was the star of the show for my money, only one month of training due to injury and illness, started off steady away and gradually picked off riders until he finished 2nd after 13hrs of riding! Awesome.

Great idea with the race number raffle as it gave other people than the fast bods chance to win something.

bikebore
    Free Member

First solo, great craic, great course. Done a couple of D2D’s and this was on a par. Very well organised, course drained well considering. Anyone else catch the mist coming up round pheasant plucker hill around dusk? Magic moment……

Nice mixed crowd, defo back for more next year!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

We managed not to come last in the team event (again) but are getting closer.

I find it staggering how fast the quick riders are, I appreciate being unfit & doing it for a laugh I am always going to be slow on the uphills and flats but being local and used to the course would be ok on the techie bits – generally speaking that was the case but then every so often one of the top riders would come flying past no matter where I was on the course.

Speaking as somebody from the rear end of the field I would like to say a huge thank you, of course to the organisers – the course was as good as it could be and the organisation was great, but also to all the other riders, where possible I moved over when I heard somebody behind me and certainly when they asked to pass & every time I got a thank you or a positive comment; it is really appreciated .

Thanks to all for a great event

I regret missing this now. 🙁
    I’ll do it next year.

By the way, did you know one of the classes was won by a trailquester ? 😛

CiderRiderRich
    Free Member

Third year of doing it solo and best yet. The changes made to the course (Crusty Bob, etc…) by the organisers and trial elfs were excellent – made it much more rideable and safer. The changes made to the course during the race, by rain and riders were great too. I loved the way you could ride a section, sort out your line and then one lap later it looks totally different and your line has disappeared.

Great atmosphere as always, though found there were less words of support for solo riders – could this be because the blue glow sticks were fairly dim (especially once covered in mud)??????

Yep loving the mist on the hill, but also the final rays of sunshine on the back course – a beautiful sight after all the rain.

See you all next year

Jason
    Free Member

My third time doing it solo and I thought it was an excellent event. Given the amount of rain the course seemed to hold up really well and stayed 100% rideable for the duration of the race. The few tweaks to the course the Gorrick team had made seemed to have worked well.

The mist on the meadow was great.

I had a slight sense of humour failure when my chain snapped on Pheasant Plucker Hill about six hours into the race. I then found the spare Power Link I was carrying wouldn’t open up properly. Luckily a bodge involving a much shorter chain and not changing gear got me to the finish on that lap!

I would agree that the rider etiquette was great. Everyone was friendly and whether I was passing others, or being passed myself everyone was cooperative.

The DJ was really good, and rather than just playing tunes was encouraging every rider who went passed. A shame they didn’t hang around under the bridge until the very end, but I know they had to get back to the marquee.

Looking forward to next year.

GorrickTeam
    Free Member

We would like to thank our sponsors and riders for making the 12:12 better than ever this year. Not even the showers could dampen the enthusiasm and friendly vibe. See you all for the Autumn Classics and Brass Monkeys later in the year.

MicArms

1st Torq for me, wasn’t expecting the course to be so good, the singletrack just seemed to go on for ever!! ( loved the Banksey section). Pity for the down pour from 2 til 4 that turned it all swampy, but the course soon dried out. I was running a semi bald bonty XDX on the rear, not the most grippiest in the gloop but even managed the short Torq climb after ‘Duck or Grouse’ with out dabbing for my 10 laps.
    Had it stayed dry for the event , it would have been fanastic. Deffo back for next year.
    Again, for all the speedy whippets that tore past me, top manners and much appriecated words of encouragement.

shortcut

Great course, great organisation, good beer and a fantastic team.

Well done to all involved – manners and ettiquette were top notch both when passing and being passed.

I may even do a couple of Autumn events this year.

aP
    Free Member

Was good fun – although I managed to break my prescription inserts at 4 laps so couldn’t see to ride. The course was good and seemed to allow for the fast boys to come through relatively easily – Billy-Joe Whenman came howling past me when I was on my 2nd lap.
    Oh well, got home in before it was dark, had a take away pizza (a rare treat) and watched the F1 before folding into bed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Torq 12:12 memories’ is closed to new replies.