Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Torque wrench for bike maintenance
  • RustyMac

I’m doing more and more of my own bike maintenance and it seems as though a torque wrench would be a worthwhile investment. What is the lowest Nm torque setting required? I know my suspension bushes require 13Nm and 26Nm but what do other parts require?

Cheers

Rusty

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

6Nm for brake levers, rotor bolts maybe.

votchy
    Free Member

Got one of those BBB ones, 2Nm to 24Nm, covers everything except my bolt thru axle (27Nm) Thomson stems and seat post clamps are 4Nm IIRC

RustyMac

Nice one 5lab, ta very much.

I saw this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160452840920&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    and was wondering if it would be suitable.

RustyMac

cheers votchy, but the BBB one doesn’t go high enough for my suspension pivots.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you’re unlikely to find one that does a big enough range.

I have a halfords pro one that does 8 to 60 NM, anything smaller than that i use my judgement

molgrips
    Free Member

Got me one of these for Christmas:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=20794

For 26nm just pull a bit harder than the click 🙂

Marko

The problem is that any torque wrench is only accurate in the middle of it’s rated range. So a 20- 100 Nm wrench will be spot on (assuming it is calibrated and certified on an annual basis) between say 40 and 80 Nm.

Hence you may need more than one 🙁

Hth
    Marko

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Same as Molgrips. Always had top service from Cyclestore too. Always worth phoning or emailing for availability though.

Perfect for a my biking needs. Certainly worth getting if you have anything Carbon Fibre.

bigjim

Xtools one does the job nicely.

RustyMac

No carbon to worry about fortunately. I think I’ll go for that Sealey one as it will cover my suspension bolts and will go high enough for anything else like bottom bracket installs, then worry about getting something that will cover the smaller ranges at a later date. I can also use the Sealey on for work on my car too which will make it a more worthwhile purchase.

sh1tforbrains
    Free Member

Torque wrench smork wrench.

Just tighten it up till your knuckles go white, that should do the trick.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Torque wrench for bike maintenance’ is closed to new replies.