• This topic has 23 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jonb.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Trails around Hexham
  • pascoa341
    Free Member

Just moved up from Leeds where I lived right next to the Meanwood Valley Trail. Loved that one as it was perfect for a 1-1,5 hour bit of entertainment after work. I have been cycling around Hexham now for a while, but cannot seem to find any nice trails in the immediate vicinity that allow for such a ride. Does anyone of you know if there is anything like this there? Cheers!

neninja
    Free Member

Go south and there are loads of cracking trails around Hexhamshire, Slaley, Edmundbyers.

Shackleton

Not sure there is much from your front door but buy the OL43 explorer map and look just to the south of Hexham.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

There are informal groups that ride from The Bike Shop in Hexham. You should ask there. Our group usually meet at 8pm on Wednesday evening. There is lots of local riding on your doorstep if you know where to look.

toons
    Free Member

I lived in Leeds for 10years, nice trail that.

Few of my mates live in that area, drop me an email (it's in my profile) and I'll send you a route.

paul4stones

You can lose yourself in Dukes wood for an hour or so without difficulty. Head out on the Slaley Rd and turn left into the wood after the houses stop and just explore. There's a constantly evolving DH bit too – see if you can find it 🙂

toons
    Free Member

There's a constantly evolving DH bit too

I wonder who that is 😉

jonb
    Free Member

There's a report somewhere that was published by the council looking at mantaining the trails already in use. Had them on a map which looked handy. I've ridden some great stuff round there but was just following a guide (local).

dickydutch

I often ride around hexhamshire common, usually starting from Whitley Chapel. Will give you a shout next time if you fancied a blast. Girlfriends parents live in Blanchland, although I havent yet explored that area to its full potential. Heard excellent things though.

pascoa341
    Free Member

Wow! That's a lot of replies really quickly! Thanks for all the advices. I will go past the Bike Shop to ask if they know when groups ride. Might try to go along on Wednesday one time. Also thanks for the other recommendations!

neninja
    Free Member

If you don't mind a 30 minute drive there is always Hamsterley. The new red sections that have been completed – section 13 and Transmission are great fun. You'll just ride straight back up to do them again!!

warton
    Free Member

There is loads around haxham, as people have said

Hexhamshire common
    Blanchland coomon / edmundbyers
    slaley
    chopwells not that far away either

toons
    Free Member

Pascoa341 I've emailed you a few routes!

Enjoy

dickydutch

toons – bit of a cheeky request, but would you mind forwarding on the routes to me please? Always looking for alternatives to the ones I already know!!

warton
    Free Member

me too toons if thats OK?

Kahurangi

Would you mind shooting a duplicate email off to me please, toons? I lived in Hexham for a couple of years, just moved to Newcastle, but a bit more knowledge would be fantastic 😀

toons
    Free Member

JonT, just click the links above.

dickydutch

Thanks toons. Looks like some of them may be better with a local guide!

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Toons – some nice loops there. Everywhere is perfect at the moment (if you like slightly damp, greasy roots!).

toons
    Free Member

@dickydutch – ah, yes if you don't have a garmin 🙁

Kahurangi

toons – just found time to have a quick look though your links, I think there's a few modifications to our regular routes I can get out of there 8)

I'm not sure that maze of red lines though Duke's Wood means an awful lot to me though, I couldn't put them together with the routes I know in there!

toons
    Free Member

The first 4 links are my mates.

The rest I just pulled from searching garmin connect.

It did look v odd to me as well.

jonb
    Free Member

Can't get it to work properly but here is a link worth a look. The download is a pdf.

http://www.hexhamcommunity.net/modules/download_gallery/dlc.php?file=22

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Trails around Hexham’ is closed to new replies.