Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • TrailTech Lights – after-care thanks!
  • grtdkad
    Free Member

Not sure if you remember the review of the TrailTech MR16 HID lights that chipps did last year? (March 2009 issue) I bought one not long after and have been using it a couple of nights a week ever since – it's an absolutely stunning light (in every respect)! Blinding even!

Anyway, mine had to go back to them recently due an issue relating to a loose connection and the response from the guys at TrailTech up in Galashiels has been second to none – really first class.

I'm really grateful (Mayhem next week etc) and thought that they deserve a mention…THANKS CHAPS!

grtdkad
    Free Member

Singletrack review:

Do you remember when the first HID light showed up in your night riding group? That light was so amazing that the halogen lights used by other riders were suddenly redundant in the wattage wars. With that rider behind you, all you could see was a huge shadow of yourself projected onto the trail with a faint pool of yellow light where your light was feebly trying to compete.
    Things are better now with many riders now using HID or the new generation of bright LED lights and everyone is lighting up the trail, enjoying good runtimes and discovering what fun night riding can be.
    Now along comes the MR16 to upset things again.
    Originally from the motocross/ATV world, it’s chunkier than you’d normally see on a bike, but not outlandishly so, with a secure bar mount, a rubber O-ring switch with ‘gas gauge' and a fair size battery that can be fitted to a plate on your bottle bosses, or on a stem-cap mount. The headlamp is very shiny and houses the single, new generation HID bulb.
    It draws 30W and the claimed output is 1850 Lumens, though given how people measure them, the best test is to run it against something you know.
    Oh lordy, is it bright! Firing it up is just like the time you first saw an HID light. It sparks, then glows brighter, and brighter until you can’t believe it can get any brighter, and still it does. The beam is a decent 38° flood and the volume of light is enough to illuminate anything you could possibly need. I had riders with the latest LED lights telling me to overtake because they could no longer see their own beam.
    The original HID lights prompted people to ask how anyone could need that much illumination, yet we now happily chug along with huge lights. The MR16 really is another step up again. While it’s a bit chunky and weighty
    (365g) enough to belie its motorized roots, it’s not that far off some of the bigger systems. Run time is claimed as up to three hours and the orange LED came on around 2.5 hours, so that all fits.
    Overall: The biggest, baddest lighting system you can put on your bike today. Fairly pricy and only good if all your mates have one too, or you’ll have to ride at the front. Simply astoundingly bright.
    Chipps

Note they are at a UK website (Galashiels based) at trailtechproducts.co.uk

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘TrailTech Lights – after-care thanks!’ is closed to new replies.