Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Trans-Provence 2009: PHOTOS
  • TP_Melissa
    Free Member

A small selection of photos from the first ever Trans-Provence (7-day enduro rally event).

We finished in Monte-Carlo a week past Saturday.

phildowling
    Free Member

mmm now that looks like more fun than Transwales! maybe it'll be 2 trans events for me next year!

Trail bikes look like the way forward.

TP_Melissa
    Free Member

A touch drier than the Transwales perhaps 🙂

Yes, most people were running 5-6" "all-mountain" builds. The winner was on a Cannondale Prophet.

ferrit
    Free Member

It was an awesome week. I'll be there next year for sure!

Dougal
    Free Member

ferrit – Thought you were signed up to do it this year?

RHSno2
    Free Member

WHO WAS FERRIT?

cp

yep! Defo doing that next year 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh bugger.

I did the washout 2008 TransWales and said "That's it, no more" and now I've just looked at the pics and I _NEED_ to do the TP.

I can't find it on the website, but how much is the entry fee please?…..

Straightliner

Absolutely brilliant week in the sun, and completely restored my faith in smaller events after the debacle of the 2008 Trans Wales.

Ash and Melissa, you have created an utterly fantastic event and long may it continue. See you in 2010.

RHSno2
    Free Member

This event has so much Mountaing Biking soul.

vdubber67
    Free Member

So it's like a proper Trans event without the distance or the climbing then?

😉

Looks great!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So it's like a proper Trans event without the distance or the climbing then?

Looks great!

You still have to climb, but not as much as we did on the TW. Each day starts with an uplift (That is a simply GENIUS idea!!!) Then you pedal from there.

Please, How much to enter??? Roughly??? 🙂 I need to sweet talk MrsPP. Actually I hope she reads this and saves me the bother. 😀 **flutters eyelashes**

Stu

It was an awesome week.

Doug – did you read what Chris wrote? He isn't just talking about the photos…

Does sound pretty good by all accounts, when does the entry open for next year? 😀

ferrit
    Free Member

I did do it this year Dougal!! And it was awesome.

And there was plenty of climbing. Oh yes.

Again, fantastic week. Hats off to Ash and Melissa!

Ferrit (aka Chris, Team Wife-Beater)

Well done Mel and Ash for making it happen!

robgarrioch

God, that looks fantastic; extend much envy to those who partook. Reckon you're in for imminent over-subscription thanks to those photos… How serious of a race is it – i.e. no holds barred/no quarter given, or have-fun-getting-round-a.quick.a.p.? I'd love to take that course on but aint a racer in any shape or form.

cp

info from start of novemeber, entries from mid november, according to the website.

how much was the 09 event?

marionheck
    Free Member

Looks awesome….. imagien it could be busier next year.

Good work and well done.

D

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Looks amazing.

Out of interest what was this year's entry fee?

RHSno2
    Free Member

The concept of euro Enduro was a bit of a surprise for a lot of Uk riders. The 'racing' side is so very different. Each special stage (26 total) had different aspects but they were all about one thing. Great Singletrack with a bias towards descending however this is no easy ride. Intense was a word thrown around alot.

Everybody really got into the competitive aspect. Fighting for seconds whether it was 32nd or 3rd and created lots of banter and chat for the climbs (LOTS).

I can't do it next year and it makes me VERY sad.

Straightliner

The stats do not do the ride justice – the Trans Wales climbing and distance is a piece of cake in comparison to some of the days on this. Most of us non-Alpine dwellers underestimated the length of climbs and the descents that would be involved, but the scenery and trails more than make up for any amount of climbing we had to do. The uplifts help a lot, and are a lovely touch, but you will still be riding and walking up plenty of mountains.

Price next year is not confirmed, this year was probably a bit cheaper at ~600Euros as we were guinea pigs in effect.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Wow… been looking for an event like this for time, can someone give me some contact details as would be interested in finding out more. 🙂

robgarrioch

The main link's right at the top ^^^ there m-t-b

paul78
    Free Member

This race was a great experience… i've never ridden such sustained technical singletrack.. as more of an endurance racer i was expecting the climbing element to be dumbed down by the uplifts but after a few days i was glad the vans were taking the sting out of the tail of these big big hills..

Can't recommend this enough as an event… very well organised… food was unf**king believably good and trail and evening banter was second to none..

I'm already planning a return trip to this area after being shown the way by Ash and Melissa and their event… i don't think entries will be available for long after they open so would probably register interest now with Melissa…

For those there this year.. how punishing was that 14km sigletrack descent?? and how good was that free for all down the landslide??.. that needs a mass start for sure 🙂

dave360

wowser, I is looking good. 2nd pic, just below the gimpy looking bloke on the green bike.

Monte Carlo rally for montain bikes innit. And it was soo awesome.

How many did it on hardtails?

paul78
    Free Member

dave360, enjoyed our additional road work up the col de chateau neuf 🙂

wish i'd done it on a hardtail for sure… was quite a few there.

vinnyeh

Looks superb. Uplift idea is great, reckon this'll be an instant sellout next year.

How many entries? Any dnf's? I only see 29 names on the results list- was that the entry limit then?

RHSno2
    Free Member

or maybe you should have done it on any other bike than an Ellsworth Moment? 😉

Hardcore hardtail would be great. You'd be beaten up at the end if you were really going for it. There is a lot to be said for the 'Error Handling' of a 6 and 6 trail bike when absolutely F****D.

The 14km descent. Note to self. You WILL sweat luck a B*stard so wear gloves! Doh. Barely being able to hangon (arm pump) with hands slipping off the grips cos of sweat on steep, slippy steps was one of the low points for me. Getting to the bottom in one peice was a high though 🙂

For possible newbies: The Kona Mash Up/Kielder Avalanche would introduce you to the efforts required just for the Special Stages then add 1400-2000m of climbing (Pushing/carrying)

Oh ok. Here is a video with riders Chest view (mine)

ittaika
    Free Member

this was one amazing event!
    i was way out my depth when it came to the racing (there were some seriously fast riders there) but had a blast anyway.
    many thanks to ash and melissa for organising it all and thanks to the other riders for making the event so much fun.

Straightliner

I think there were 7 or 8 hardtails competing – highest placed 7th I believe. There's a lot to be said for the hardtail brigade as there's less to go wrong, but Rob is also completely correct about having something to take the sting out after a brutal day in the saddle and give you a safety factor. I may still have all my teeth had I not been quite so exhausted on stage 6.

And Dave, that outside foot should be down and you should be railing that turn dude! 🙄

Tracey

Great video Rob

Tracey

RHSno2
    Free Member

I love this shot of Martin looking liek a pro. Really sums its up. Balls out and on the gas. Props to Martin and Ash on that photo.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Well done Ash, Melissa, all the helpers and all the competitors.

Photos look great. Mmm Next year…?

(amused by the Ash fanboi in the first pic. Xen and goggles, now who does that remind me of? :roll:)

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Looks perfect, more about riding than racing in a great place with a bit of racing to quell the competitive desires, Melissa, have sent email to register, will likely see you next year.

RHSno2
    Free Member

JonEdwards: How dare You. I have been schooling Ash on the ways of Special Style for years! 😉

JonEdwards
    Free Member

LOL… That makes more sense. I guess the nice wide strap keeps your lugs pinned back for extra streamlining too! 😀

RHSno2
    Free Member

It bloody well does but its the first I have noticed it 🙂

JonEdwards
    Free Member

…sorry mate, couldn't resist…! 😳

gary

You still have to climb, but not as much as we did on the TW. Each day starts with an uplift (That is a simply GENIUS idea!!!) Then you pedal from there.

Yes, that's what we all thought before we arrived in Gap. Think of the uplift as lifesaver rather than softener 🙂

Oh, and don't take racey shoes – my toes are just back to normal after a week clambering up things in Sidis!

But to echo all the comments above – a bloody great week in all respects.

G.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Trans-Provence 2009: PHOTOS’ is closed to new replies.