Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tubeless: Stans or JRA Wheel Milk – which is best?
  • petem77
    Free Member

About to go tubeless for the 1st time.

Which is better – Stan's Notubes fluid or JustRidingAlong's Wheel Milk?
    …and why?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Can't speak for the Wheel Milk stuff, but I've had excellent results with Stans (after using Slime and Bontrager Juice). Stans has my seal of approval – no pun intended.

njee20
    Free Member

Wheel Milk dries out VERY quickly, Stan's all the way.

Offroading
    Free Member

Ditto, wheel milk dries out far to quick. Stan's is best.

dobo
    Free Member

wheel milk works well but does indeed dry out fast, so frequent topping up is needed

petem77
    Free Member

Looks like a clear win for Stans. Thanks for your help.

I'm off to to order now…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Wheel milk needs topping up every 3 months. When I run out I'll get Stans.

votchy
    Free Member

About to get flamed here as my opinion may be different to others, ran JRA wheel milk in my ghetto set up last year, 10 months on same tyres, never topped up and when I swapped tyres in the winter there was still plenty of nice runny wheel milk in there so I never had an issue with it drying out. I have never tried stans so cant comment on that.

uplink
    Free Member

similar results here
    The JRA stauff just dried into a big lump very quickly
    Stan's is good & Joe's has been OK too

Jamie
    Free Member

Been using JRA for a year or so, top up ever couple of months if that.

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

How often do people top up Stans?

Farticus

Have used both, and Ultraseal. And Oko which seems to be for Agricultural use.

Ultraseal may well be ultra, but seal it doesn't – well, it isn't very reliable. It doesn't dry out, but as it's pretty useless that's no advantage. Don't touch it.

Oko – bit like Utraseal but contains small bits of rubber. Seals pretty well and doesn't dry out but still not as good as latex-based sealants.

JRA – excellent on UST tyres which are less prone to dry out. On non-UST tends to dry out too quickly. Seals well.

Stans – seals very well, dries out less quickly than JRA but more pricey.

Now using Stans throughout the fleet, 6 wheels on UST rims / UST tyres, 2 wheels on Stans rims (one UST tyre, one non-UST tyre). Personal preference is to use UST tyres in all cases as they seal well and don't let sealant dry out.

njee20
    Free Member

I found Wheel Milk would dry out in a couple of weeks often. I've never had Stan's dry out, but I change tyres fairly regularly. I guess if you don't use the bike it's more likely to dry.

martyntr
    Free Member

Never used the JRA alternative, but have been using stans for a year and have no problems at all..

Bimbler
    Free Member

I found Wheel Milk worked really well, only needed to top up every 4-6 months and even then there was plenty of liquid left. Used Bontrager UST rims with Bontrager TR tyres.

When my wheel milk runs out I may try some of the home brew recipes

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Use wheel milk here. Generally it dries in 8-10 weeks. I tend to top up when I remember. Cheap though. Even when its dry, you do get a degree of additional puncture protection, just like latex tubes are more puncture resistant

Since its the water that evaporates, you could just put 10ml of water or so in every fortnight – if you were that worried about the cost. Mostly its the hassle factor for me.

I get through about a litre a year for two bikes, sometimes UST, mostly not not.

firestarter
    Free Member

my jra kept leaking air no matter what i did the stans stuff sealed it straight away and holds air much better and far longer

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless: Stans or JRA Wheel Milk – which is best?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM