Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tyre Mystery…
  • DustyLilac
    Free Member

A chum of mine runs 2.35 LUST Ignitors on 09 Crossmax SXs, and has run tubeless Ignitors on a variety of bikes for years (on both 823s and 819s before the Crossmax). He has recently bought an Intense Tracer frame and swapped most of the bits from his Blur 4X onto it, including the wheels and tyres. In about 6 weeks of riding these wheels/tyres on the Blur 4X he had no issues, including racing at the Kona Mash-Up. Since building up the Tracer about 3 weeks ago he has been plagued with punctures in the rear wheel (using the same tyre as was on the Blur). The punctures are small splits in the sidewall at rim level. He is an annoyingly smooth rider, but does ride hard and fast mostly on DH singletrack.

After an other puncture last weekend he bought a new tyre (from the same small LBS) and on the second evening ride this week it too punctured in exactly the same way.

What's going on? No change to pressures, no change to riding style or locations, same wheels, same tyres.

We can't figure it out – any ideas?

sockpuppet

check the rim tape?

jfeb
    Free Member

That's what happens if you turn your back on a Blur 4X – they are like Herbie 😉

(I write as a Blur 4X owner)

May be the tyre has just reached the end of its life and is starting to perish? It could be a coincidence about the change of bikes.

Has he sold the 4X already? There always seem to be a couple of people on here looking for them.

DezB
    Free Member

The tyres have got old?

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions

May be the tyre has just reached the end of its life and is starting to perish? It could be a coincidence about the change of bikes.

Has he sold the 4X already? There always seem to be a couple of people on here looking for them.

Rear tyre was new when wheels were bought about 2 months ago, and replacement tyre was bought last weekend and is failing too?

4X not for sale, it's being rebuilt in slightly more hardcore mode.

check the rim tape?

No rim tape with Mavic tubeless rims.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I've had 2 LUST tyres go exactly the same way. 2.35 HR's on 819's. Went within 7 days of buying them and both when going quick on rocky terrain. Speaking to some people out here they've had exactly the same problem. The conclusion we have come to is that LUST sidewalls are too thin for any sort of fast rocky riding.

Maybe change of bike = new bike braveness = faster, I don't know.

jfeb
    Free Member

Another thought – might he have ridden through something that has perished the tyres? doug's suggestion sounds more likely though

DezB
    Free Member

The conclusion we have come to is that LUST sidewalls are too thin for any sort of fast rocky riding.

Thanks for posting this – I was going to get LUST Ignitors for an Alps crossing, but was worried that the "Light" part would be a compromise in resilience. This has confirmed my fears.

Brooker99
    Free Member

Is there any damage to the inside/top surface of the rim it's self which is cutting into the tyre?

DustyLilac
    Free Member

You could be right Doug, he's definitely going a bit quicker on the Tracer, I've had to up my game to stay with him… I'm running Rubber Queens on Crossmax SXs and their extra heft (about 100g heavier) and stiffer sidewalls may account for why I'm not puncturing. I'm certainly not smoother than him 🙄

kevonakona
    Free Member

Different latex gunk? Read somewhere that the gunk can lead to delamination and i'd have thought rubber perishing.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Use sealant.

doug_basqueMTB.com

DezB, I definitely wouldn't recommend them for an Alps crossing. If it was just me then I'd say 'fair enough' but it's not. If you're doing more downhill than up then I'd say that you'd be better putting on some dual ply's and sucking up the extra weight. At the moment i'm running my LUST's with DH tubes but will replace them with dual ply's and run them as tubeless. Seems to be a good combination from asking around although I haven't tried it myself yet. Also worth stating that I used 2.35 WET Tubeless ready Big Earls for months without a bit of trouble until they eventually wore out and the sidewalls ripped but they looked like this first!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Sealant's not going to help. I tried a couple of different types and it just leaks out. Even if you hold the rip until it seals then it just opens up again because of where it is in the tyre. Also tried proper tubeless repair kits and it sealed for a few days and then opened up again on hard runs.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Is there any damage to the inside/top surface of the rim it's self which is cutting into the tyre?

Each puncture has happened in a different spot on the rim, both sides too, no obvious damage anywhere.

Different latex gunk?

Same No Tubes stuff used for years

glenh
    Free Member

Sealant doesn't work that well with sidewall splits unless they are very small.

My guess is just faster riding and perhaps working the rear harder due to more travel.
    Try a full UST rather than LUST.

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers Doug, I think I'll suck up the extra cost and go for Hutchinsons.
    I've got some old Scorpions on at the moment and they are the toughest tyres I've come across. Would be perfect, but the buggers don't make them anymore and mine are about a year old.
    Tempted by the Big Earls though as they are much cheaper!

scaredypants

maybe the suspension set up isn't right/same on the new bike – harsher, so more chance of snakebites or just "working" the sidewalls more ??

doug_basqueMTB.com

DezB or Dusty, I'll sell you that back big earl if you want? Semi slick is where it's at this year…

DustyLilac
    Free Member

maybe the suspension set up isn't right/same on the new bike – harsher, so more chance of snakebites or just "working" the sidewalls more ??

Could be, he had the DHX Air on the 4X pretty much perfick, RP23 on Tracer is certainly working well, no harsh bottom outs, but is probably not quite at the definitive setup yet.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tyre Mystery…’ is closed to new replies.