Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Under 500 quid "new" hardtail options ??
  • scaredypants

for someone I work with

Merlin malt, or what else ?

Any particular components to avoid – shite forks etc ? (I'd rather not suggest he gets one with an isis BB & the merlin are shimano it seems)

cinnamon_girl

Second-hand I would say.

scaredypants

Yeh, so would I C-G but I think it'll end up being new (not averse to "old" year's models though)

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

pauls cycles might have a few deals. if he is small there is a nice giant XTC for his buget (16 inch).

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s2p1264

scaredypants

aye, had a look on paul's (anyone got good things to say about the chainsets/BBs that giant use ?)

(he's a medium I think – bit like doris stokes)

cinnamon_girl

I wouldn't even go there, particularly remembering the "what cheap bike for the g/f" threads!

Problem obviously is that you can't explain to non-cycling folk that a cheap bike will be very heavy and most likely put them off mountain biking for life.

Would they trust you to help them pick up secondhand parts?

Northwind

Go direct to Halfords, buy one Carrera Fury, unless he wants an XC whippet. Really very good, for silly money. And you can check it over and make sure nothing's fitted the wrong way round 😉

Alternative might be the Decathlon Rockrider 9.2, they're both great for the money but the FUry has the better fork and wheels.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Carrera Fury.

takisawa2

Having built a couple of cheap(ish) bikes for family using SH bits, I'd recomend that route but can understand your erring towards new for a friend.
    One thing I would say is to go for something with hydro discs.
    Even basic RockShox forks perform well these days.
    Deore kit also performs really well.
    I reckon you could spec up a pretty tidy Inbred for £500, they'll have a decent steel frame then, not some bone jarring alloy job that while light is quite harsh for a beginner.
    Its a case of scouring online shops, for ex: I picked up a superb 90mm Da-Bomb stem from CRC for £8…
    One problem is thinking objectively, & not being drawn to XT/Thomson/Hope level kit.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Edinburgh Bicycle have a cannnondale for under £500 in their Jan sale. You can get a perfectly decent bike for that money, got a good Trek for that a couple of years ago for the other half. If they are only going to be an occasional user they don't need discs, better with good v brakes especially if they are only going to be fair weather biker. If they get really into it they will have to upgrade any bike at that price or get a more expensive bike.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

my old inbred – perfect machine, and only £400 to you sir!

vdubber67
    Free Member

What about a new build? Something like a Dirty Jo

There's some as new RS Darts on here for £35 too?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

yep, a build would be another suggestion…

i've just done one for my gf – £350 it cost (ok, with some generous donations…)

dirty jo frame
    full deore group inc wheels (on 517s)
    revelations
    schwalbe tyres
    hydro discs
    fsa/wtb/easton finishing kit

just have to look around to see what you can get and not be too fussy about matching kit (although her bike looks ace imo!)

chakaping
    Free Member

This £500 bike won a grouptest in the latest WMB I think…

Revolution Triad

Good spec, not sure what the BB is though.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Merlin MALT1 LTD with 2010 Deore disc brakes groupset & 2010 Rockshox Tora SL Forks looks good for £499……

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Wiggle have some big bike offers in their sale. I'm always a big fan of look for what has the biggest discount to get to what I can afford. Also check winstanleys they can have some good prices on older bikes.

That bike of chakaping looks a very good buy. Also the fury is a good bike, friend has one and he keeps up with people who have bikes that cost 10x that on 95% of trails.

acorlett

Carrera Fury…

rolfharris
    Free Member

The Giant Talon is a really wonderful bike. For about £450 you get hydro discs, which feel great, a decent cockpit with proper width bars and a short stem, good tyres- all the controls are excellent.

The fork's a bit clunky but you'll never find anything brilliant sub £500, but everything else is so good that if he gets into it properly he can always upgrade.

I sell them to everyone who wants to get into mountain biking seriously because it's a proper mountain bike, not a look a like, and it's so easy and confidence inspiring to ride that it makes anyone a good rider.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There's a Felt hardtail on wiggle
    Here

Looks quite good.

gazza100

spesh hardrock with 20% off from Dales cycles.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

My mate has just got a 2010 Trek 4500 (I think thats the model) for £499. Shimano hydraulic discs and I think the fork has a lock out. Smart looking machine and he's very happy with it.

The Carrera Fury got a good write up in WMB magazine and seeing it in Halfords the other day, it looks fantastic – frame with smoothed welds, decent fork, Mavic rims, hydraulic disc.

I'd steer clear of second hand unless its nearly new/unwanted because you can gaurantee it'll need a new drivetrain, cables etc etc a lot sooner than £500 of new bike, even if it does appear to have slightly better components.

Crell
    Free Member

What's the score with the Dirty Jo frames? Are they any good? Does anyone have a 14" frame (xc) or pics I could see? This could be a good cheap 1st 26" wheel frame for my son.

rolfharris
    Free Member

This is hungry monkey's. We've got 1 left that I keep forgetting to get photos of. It's silver and a bit shop soiled so we're after £70ish.

Build into a nice wee bike.

0091paddy
    Free Member

0 point in building a bike up…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Under 500 quid "new" hardtail options ??’ is closed to new replies.