Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Unobtrusive rear mudguards that work?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Moon on a stick or is there a product out there which is fairly compact, yet actually keeps your bum dry? Never used a rear mudguard, but figured it would not hurt to give one a try.

Thinking something like this maybe?

Of course all requests to MTFU will be taken as par for the course 8)

packer
    Free Member

Don’t think there is anything out there other than things like the one you’ve pictured. I use a Crud Guard which is the same basic design as that and does what it’s supposed too, but I’ve always thought it was bigger and flimsier than I would like it to be…

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

What bike have you got? Rear suspension adds a whole new set of problems for mudguards.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Old rear Crudguard – brilliant.
    New rear Crudguard (or raceguard I think) – utter cr4p.

The worst bit of “evolution” of any bike product ever. I’m glad I kept my old one!

Jamie – looking at that bracket, it might suffer from the same issue as the newer Crudguards – you just cannot get the seat tube part to tighten enough.

The old Crudguard had two bolts and is about 324523455 times more secure.

z1ppy

IMO this is about the best mudguard ever made, everything else since has been about making it look ‘cool’ (to the detriment of there mud stopping abilities), as mudguard & cool will never meet.

The Cycraguard pictured or the newer Cridcatch are about as best as you’ll get ‘compact’ wise, get some waterproof shorts to compliment them.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Zippy – looks like it has two bolts? Just like the old Crudguard. Ideal.

z1ppy

S_M, I reckon you right the previous verion of the CC was better than the newer incarnation. Not sure about the fixing on the original crud catch (pictured), I’ve only ever seen one in the flesh & I think he’s retired that now (fetching clear plastic)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Matt, it’s from 1994.

I wish they would bring the Wolfguard again (can’t find a pic).

thomthumb
    Free Member

ah. I still have my original race guard. tis ace.

mtbfix

For unobtrusive you want to get some waterproof shorts. Any guard that works will stand out.

Oh, and Wolfguards were a load of rubbish. Mine would never stay tight for any period of time.

z1ppy
    Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Al – I know (I have eyes fitted too) – proves that newest is not always best.

Mudguards have taken a step backwards IMO with single bolt fixings.

sobriety
    Free Member

I use these seem to work ok and don’t look too ridiculous.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was joking re teh Wolfgard. Apols Matt, not sure what your point was there!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Someone (Zefal I think) used to do a mini fender that fitted actually onto the seat kinda like a seatpack would. It wasn’t brilliant but kept most of the dreaded vertical brown stripe off you.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m going to design an inflatable or folding one, maybe hidden under the saddle or in the seatpost, with a remote switch so it can be activated only when riding over puddles, for the uber-cool. Just think, no one will ever see a pic of your bike with a mudguard ever again!

Version 2 will have a sensor which detects puddles and deploys said device automatically.

I’ve patented the “dry-bum” mechanism and registered it’s name already.

Northwind

Topeak do an inflatable don’t they? No remote switch though :mrgreen:

Crud seem to have improved the current design, you’re spot on though, the old design was ace, the new one when it came out just didn’t work at all, and it was obvious it hadn’t even been tested with a 27.2 post because within days of them coming out the whole internet was moaning. They blame their machinist which might be true but how do you ship a product without ever testing the final version?

They’ve revised the bolt now which should help. Failing that you can drill out the bolt and stick a standard nut and bolt through it, that works well. And they do look nice.

midlifecrashes

If you have V rake bosses, Decathlon make these, and they are great. Clamp on the matching front one isn’t great though.

Click pic to link. Now does anyone still make bolt on canti bosses I can bodge onto square section seatstays on my Horst Turner?

druidh
    Free Member

If you still have v-brake mounts….

and a whole £8 from Decathlon

Fitted…

02/04/2010 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

beeds
    Free Member

Black Hill looking good druidh,pity the forecast is shite for tomorrow grrr
    Do like the fact that guard isnt attached to the seatpost tho!

z1ppy

I have to admit that decathlon one us really good, probably the best I own or have tried, but only of use if you have canti mounts, so no-good for my FS

epicyclo

Thought of using a rear rack? 2 functions for the price of one.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s about time someone developed some “strap-on” canti-mounts for that mudguard….

Northwind

I was trying to figure out if I could glom half a crudcatcher onto my hemlock’s seat stays. Probably, is the answer, but maybe not for very long.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i always thought

was the best rear guard…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

MTFU and use the washing machine, if we wanted to stay clean we would go to the gym

Jamie
    Free Member

MTFU and use the washing machine, if we wanted to stay clean we would go to the gym

Now if I had posted that I wanted a mudguard to keep me clean then you would have a very valid point. Unfortunately I didn’t, so you don’t. To save you actually reading the OP, It is about keeping dry.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone else. Think I might give the one I linked to in the OP a go and see how I get on.

Northwind

“MTFU and use the washing machine, if we wanted to stay clean we would go to the gym “

Staying clean isn’t really the goal IMO, staying drier and so warmer is. When you’re out in serious cold getting wet is not pleasant, a nice spray of ice-laden reservoir water up your chuff doesn’t add much fun to a ride, especially if you do it in the first 10 minutes of a 6-hour sub-zero ride.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

“MTFU and use the washing machine, if we wanted to stay clean we would go to the gym “

Staying clean isn’t really the goal IMO, staying drier and so warmer is. When you’re out in serious cold getting wet is not pleasant, a nice spray of ice-laden reservoir water up your chuff doesn’t add much fun to a ride, especially if you do it in the first 10 minutes of a 6-hour sub-zero ride.

Too bloody right, as I’ve learned over the past 20 yrs of MTBing! Even my brand spanking new Orange 5 has a ‘tart guard’ on. Looks crap, but who cares, I can’t see it when I’m on it!

Jamie
    Free Member

Which unfortunately I do not on my Dialled PA. Shame, as looks ideal.

Waderider
    Free Member

The current lack of a decent crud guard bugs me too. I have the current crud guard on my main bike, and it has weak points I don’t recall on earlier designs.

Specifically, it rattles A LOT at the join between the two moulded components (the actual guard and the clamping arm); this is unacceptable to me because I’ve made sure the bike has no rattles other than the chain. Also the single alloy bolt is prone to seizing if not kept well greased – I don’t expect to have to maintain a mudguard.

The crud guard MK1 is my favourite design too, but it isn’t going to work or sell well in an era of full bounce. I’d like one though as all my bikes are hardtails.

Mr Tomkins are you reading this? I’ve been using your products since day one, and for the first time I’m actively looking elsewhere for something to keep my arse dry.

a11y

Using a Cycraguard here. Previously used Crudguards, but the Cycraguard is much easier to move between bikes: doesn’t involve removing seatpost from frame. Clamp on mine is a QR-style lever, different to the one in the first pic – clamps OK but despite a rubber spacer kit, I wrap a bit of leccy tape around the seatpost to help it grip.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

i went to the effort of making my own bracket for the RaceGuard to keep it out of the way of the suspension while keeping it close to the wheel.

There is a cross brace on the old superlight attached by four allen bolts which was perfect for attaching the bracket. For the last year it’s worked well and i’ve been pretty smug (apart from druidh pointing out the decathlon guard) until the steel fatigued last sunday and the thing fell off!

For me it is time to admit defeat and buy a decathlon guard, i just need to find some v-brake posts in my spares bin.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I think the Cycraguard is a good choice. Not the lightest by a fair margin, but all the others I’ve tried all broke off after a few weeks/months. The Cycraguard is solid.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think the Cycraguard is a good choice. Not the lightest by a fair margin, but all the others I’ve tried all broke off after a few weeks/months. The Cycraguard is solid.

Not to sound like a complete tart, but do you have a pic with the Cycraguard fitted?

stumpy01

Woah! That Decathlon guard looks just the ticket to stick on my Inbred through the winter.

I agree about the raceguard. The best one was the flat blade one. I’ve got a clear one that’s developed a long split in it, so is pretty unusable now.
    My new raceguard works OK, but the threaded insert has started rotating in the plastic bracket. Need to send off for a new bracket, although might just try supergluing the insert in place.

shortcut

I am running one of the previous generation Crud Guards – brilliant.

I have run the new generation ones – no problem getting them tight enough. Major issue keeping them in once piece. The flap bit falls off and gets lost halfway down the trail. Utter carp!

packer
    Free Member

V8_shin_print – great work with that bracket! You should make another.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

packer – thanks! In practice it wasn’t stiff enough so the guard would slap off the tyre once the trail started getting lively. I would like to have a go at redesigning it to have the plane of the steel perpendicular but realistically it isn’t worth it. Even the raw materials are more expensive than buying the decathlon one and that’s before you factor in several hours graft which could be used riding / drinking beer. 🙂

PhilO
    Free Member

Which unfortunately I do not on my Dialled PA. Shame, as looks ideal.

Why not remove the Vee-mount brackets from the guard and replace them with appropriately-sized P-clips?

Must remember to pop into Decathlon myself next time I’m passing…

ETA: How come nested quotes work in Preview but not when you post? 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Unobtrusive rear mudguards that work?’ is closed to new replies.