Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Wanna Help Us Build A Pump Track?
  • abductee
    Free Member

If you have missed the point read this

Crell
    Free Member

abductee – Member

I have seen the bmx track in alavaston. There is a bmx skate park as well. Have they also recently built a pump track?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.905068,-1.435658&spn=0.002469,0.006968&t=h&z=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYjoZxIluTI&feature=channel_page

Your location is right but the image on Google Earth / maps is the old track
    The pump track is to the right of the start hill. It's nothing to write home about (unlike the BMX track); certainly not in the same league as the ones in the earlier vids but it serves a purpose.

This is a better vid from when we hosted our first inter-regional (and later a National) this year. MTB's welcome. Come practice, and race cruiser class. Pumping technique, manualing etc all coached at out club sessions. Advert over 🙂

You know that pumping technique works when you can get round the entire Derby track without pedalling. I still have some practicing to do 🙂

http://www.derbybmxclub.co.uk/

Ben_Haworth

Okay, just out of interest, how many folks could do Aug 15-16th weekend instead?

Ben_Haworth

('cos Aug 22-23 is cutting it a bit too fine to deadline time really!)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I quite like the derby one, feels realy quick, even if it is more mini BMX track than pump track.

As for pumping the whole of the track, surely impossible without pedaling the second corner, that third straight is mahoosively tall?

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

Kimbers

I have had a spot under scrutiny for a while where a pump track would work. I was going to crack on this autumn. Se7 area. Give me a shout

Worksafeconsulting@gmail.com

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Would 'no' be the wrong answer? What's wrong with getting out the OS map and finding some fantastic bridleways to ride? Is there really a need to build new (and presumably short) sections of off-road trail to ride on?

The oft repeated mantra about most things MTB: "It's not about need".

If you haven't tried one it's a bit harder to explain. If you have then you either "get" it or you don't. Lee McCormack's site (leelovesbikes.com) gives some good reasons.

I find them fun, challenging, physically knackering (in a way you'd struggle to imagine), good for technique (cornering, conservation of momentum etc) and very social.

Done well they're great. Done not so well they can be insanely frustrating. I have had a hand in several now but, as is often the way in STA, there's more to it than just me, particularly Knacker and Nick.

Crell
    Free Member

I quite like the derby one, feels realy quick, even if it is more mini BMX track than pump track.

As for pumping the whole of the track, surely impossible without pedaling the second corner, that third straight is mahoosively tall?

Don't get me wrong, the pump track is OK, and the berms do launch you, but that's not where the design effort went.
    As implausible as it sounds, yes the track can be pumped. I have witnessed it on a few occasions (namely when we had the National champs) and a lot of riders came to practice in the preceeding weeks. One pedal rotation permitted off the gate. My PB is almost to the end of the 2nd straight 🙂

I'd echo the comments that pump tracks are fantastic for building and improving your handling and skills; particularly cornering and rythm. If you compete then pumping is invaluble as it allows to to gain speed where you can't pedal (terrain permitting).

If you're ever at the track come and say hello. I normally have two kids in tow – one on a Redline Flight junior and another on a decathlon special. As of last week my daughter decided she liked BMX after all, though I think that's just a ploy to get another bike 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'll keep an eye out for you, I'm usualy on a red CountryBikes BMX or red DMR (although have attempted a few runs on the road bike which was scary trying to keep the rear end planted!)

As for those of you who've never tried pumping, to put it into perspective I'd say pumping one dip/lip/corner properly probably gains you 2,3 or 4 pedal stokes, in the distance you struggle to get one in! Thats why practicing on a pump track is good.

taka
    Free Member

i can do the 16th

taka
    Free Member

and the 15th 😉

dobby156
    Free Member

Depending on where it is, I would love to help, got nothing better to do.

Email me the details if you want to some dumb muscle 😀 (assuming i can get there via public transport hitch hiking a bit of pedalling).

dobby156 {at} googlemail {dot} com

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i think i could do that weekend ben.

stumpyjon

15 – 16th should be OK for me (gets me out of my daughters birthday party, loads of 5 year old girls at a dance studio, and before you all shout I'd only be sitting outside waiting for them finish).

Ben_Haworth

Woop!

It's looking very likely it's the 15-16th weekend.

I'll have more info on Friday.

Keep watching the skies!!! (or this forum thread)

2hottie
    Free Member

Benji I will help, if you guys at STW come and help build the tracks at Gisburn?

Deal?

taka
    Free Member

2hottie – Member
    Benji I will help, if you guys at STW come and help build the tracks at Gisburn?

Deal?

im going to the next did day :mrgreen:

2hottie
    Free Member

Taka good on you fella

see you there

Ben_Haworth

September is looking not mentally busy on weekends (unlike the past 3 months!) so I'm all up for helping out at Gisburn man! 🙂

Ben_Haworth

Confirmed date is Saturday August 15th.

I'll post the location details later this week…

stumpyjon

Scott beat me to it, you will owe us as we'll be ducking out of a Gisburn dig day to make the 15th & 16th 😉

steel4real
    Free Member

I'd be interested, but can't gaurantee availability for either weekend. One thing I would suggest is to ensure it's a bit bigger than the one at Stainburn, I know the STA guys put a lot of effort into it, but it's pretty pants.
    I've never seen anyone get a full lap on it properly. With their 'knowledgeable' comments above, I'd have hoped for something more akin to the other rather good stuff up there.

nick_b
    Free Member

The PT at Stainburn is tight but it does work, especially since its had plenty of time to bed in (pump tracks are always slow when they're first built). It can be tricky to do full lap to start with but after few goes most people I've seen manage at least one full lap (it's all about the technique), also one direction is slightly easier to get round than the other….

The pump track we have built at Thackley (Buck woods) is slight bigger in terms of space but is still rough the same length as Stainburn in total, plus it has a nice roll in to give you some momentum 🙂

lister-hooded
    Free Member

depending on location August 15 will be good for me…

gravity-slave
    Free Member

When you've built it, you've got to host a pumptrack pursuit enduro!
    Here's the lowdown on the format (scroll down for video):
    http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/?a=474

Fancy a series?!

mark_b
    Free Member

One thing I would suggest is to ensure it's a bit bigger than the one at Stainburn, I know the STA guys put a lot of effort into it, but it's pretty pants.

More useful feedback from someone who has never bothered to contribute in person (? – please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong……)

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

LOL, I'm not going to get all touchy about the PT at Stainburn 😎

It was the first one we attempted and it's been through umpteen incarnations and re-builds. If you think it's bad now did you ever see it 2 years ago 😉 It's also a bugger to win good material to build with there so it means rebuilds and tweaks are difficult to do. The finer fraction of the soil / sub soil is great stuff but you don't need to go very deep before you're hitting a lot of rock. That makes digging incredibly hard work. Hence why Clixby's (god bless Hugh) put us in the drainage channels, rather than digging them all by hand.

Honestly though, IMO it's a hard track. I can do laps on it though (and like Nick says there's an "easy" and a "hard" direction). Given I'm no great shakes I'd suggest that if you can't or folks you've seen haven't managed it then they probably aren't "getting it" yet, for whatever reason.

Personally I need all the help I can get with rock hard, fast rolling tyres and a dedicated HT. Trying it on a FS with proper knobblies and trail pressures will make it a lot more challenging.

TBH, I'm happy to admit it's not perfect (nothing we've ever built has been 😉 but we have built, or tried to build stuff. We're aware enough (ish) to know when things haven't worked and to learn lessons from that. Hence I think I/we know a lot about what can go wrong. It doesn't necessarily mean we'll always get it right, but it's a bit of a head start and just leaving people to make the same mistakes would seem daft.

Say Hi next time you're up at the woods if you see me. Old bugger, red estate, poor skills, talks a lot 😎

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hi steel4real
    We came out on one of your rides a few months ago from peckett well, I was on an on-one summer 456. Anyway, I digress….

I'm pleased that Cheeky concedes that Stainburn is difficult, so it can't be me that's rubbish then! 😉 . I certainly can't ride the PT at Staimburn yet, but I've not spent much time on it. I've now had some tuition on proper technique from a couple of other SingletrAction guys (who can ride it), and it's definitely all in the technique, I think I'm getting the idea now (after floundering around for a while) and I'm getting there. And certainly, it did feel easier on Cheekys PT bike with appropriate tyres. From watching some of the good STA riders (who all admit to going throught the same learning curve) it seems that if you have the correct techniques, then it does work.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member
    lank45
    Free Member

location up yet?

taka
    Free Member

The Date: Saturday August 15th (and Sunday August 16th too probably)

The Time: 10am

The Place: Flappit Quarry, nr Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, map link – http://tinyurl.com/l4kwxx

150m or so from my house 😉

frepster
    Free Member

I think this is a great idea and good luck but isnt at least some of the point of a pump track is that it takes up hardly any space so you can build one anywhere ie an urban location. That way anyone (including non driving youths) can ride it and just grind out a quick 30 minute session.

Building it in the middle of a quarry so you need to drive to get to it seems like you are missing a trick really.

taka
    Free Member

i can go use it every night and morn and im a youfe 😆

Ben_Haworth

you try finding an available urban space! ;-P

taka
    Free Member

have you got permission?

Ben_Haworth

aye

taka
    Free Member

from darrel? at guilson quarry? or bcc?

im just nosy 😀

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Pump tracks are pump tracks. Put them wherever you can. Then love and joy will rule the world 😉

They generally aren't worth driving to but as there's so few at the moment I guess people do. I think the urban things was more about the fact people could squeeze them in your typical (American 😉 backyard.

Ben_Haworth

*bump*

Anymore for anymore? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Wanna Help Us Build A Pump Track?’ is closed to new replies.