Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Weekly photo challenge. 14.2.11 – 20.2.11 – Lychgate.
  • The challenge for this week is to take a picture of your bike under a lychgate.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lychgate

Just to clarify the rules, the idea is to get you out on your bike somewhere different this week and take a picture when you get there, not to search through your My Pictures folder and post a picture from years ago.
    That’s why I chose lychgates, everyone should be able to find one within a reasonable distance, but it’s unlikely that anyone will already have a photo of their bike under one.

As an added bonus topical theme for this week, try to get a picture that relates to Valentine’s Day.
    I thought that would be a bit too difficult on it’s own, which is why I didn’t use it as the main theme.
    If you’re thinking of trying to link the two themes in one photo, try not to intrude on someone’s big day. 😉

stuartie_c
    Free Member

That’s why I chose lychgates, everyone should be able to find one within a reasonable distance

A lychgate, also spelled lichgate, lycugate, or as two separate words lych gate, (from Old English lic, corpse) is a gateway covered with a roof found at the traditional entrance to a (English) churchyard

From wiki.

That’s me out.

I didn’t realise it was a purely English thing.
    For everyone else then, take a photo of your bike next to a church gate.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

OK – I’ll give it a go. Though it will require me to do two things that I haven’t done since New Year; take a photograph and ride a bike.

Oh, and go to a church…

_tom_
    Free Member

Should be good for this one this time – loads of village churches about 🙂

Trekster

stuartie_c – Member
    That’s why I chose lychgates, everyone should be able to find one within a reasonable distance
    A lychgate, also spelled lichgate, lycugate, or as two separate words lych gate, (from Old English lic, corpse) is a gateway covered with a roof found at the traditional entrance to a (English) churchyard

From wiki.

That’s me out.
    Me to 🙄
    But I may just know of one. What is the definition of “roof” ? Will be road bike again, 100mls last week and no mtbing 🙄
    Will be rectifying that this week if the rain/snow stays away for a bit, trails are just a mess atm.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

woohoo first one to get a picture???

On my commute this morning St. Mary’s (Shaw / Newbury)
    http://www.shawchurch.org.uk/shaw/

redthunder
    Free Member

That’s why I chose lychgates, everyone should be able to find one within a reasonable distance, but it’s unlikely that anyone will already have a photo of their bike under one.

Wanna bet!.

slugwash
    Free Member

I also had trouble tracking down one of them there lynchgates. Luckily I came across this one on my commute this morning about 50 metres from my house 😉

DeeJay
    Free Member

No trouble finding this one – its in the village where my father-in-law lives! 😕

click the pic for the inscription

GRAEMEJONES

This one is on my commute.I promise to put more effort into the ones later in the week. 😉
    It is St.Michaels in the Parish of Coppenhall and was built in 1919.

rOcKeTdOg

but it’s unlikely that anyone will already have a photo of their bike under one.

oh rly 😉 took me ages to find it though

old one for now

IMG_1317 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

redthunder
    Free Member

Possible add on to the this thread challenge.. Can you also take a snap of the church as well 🙂

Trekster

Will do. Setting off snow to get mine before snow comes
    Bit windy tho 🙄

Trekster

Cummertrees nr Annan on the way to Dumfries.
    Last service was on Sunday and is now amalgamated with another local church, Ruthwell.

Ruthwell, the new church for the Cummertrees and Mouswald congregations.

Mouswald where my Gran, Grandad and Mothers relatives are buried.
    This building is for sale.

more here in the odsandsods folder

MrSparkle

Here’s a fresh one, from tonight’s slighly disasterous ride:

rOcKeTdOg

from tonight (check the exif if you want)

aaa by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

crispybacon
    Free Member

Hmmm I didn’t think I’d be able to play this week as most of the churches near me don’t have a lynchgate.

Very unexpectedly on today’s ride as we were coming back into Exeter via Alphington we came across this church & Lynchgate – woo hoo!

Yours truly under the lynchgate

the Lynchgate & Church and ‘erm a wheelie bin

It’s Monday and I haven’t set this week’s challenge yet.
    I’m thinking it might be time we did war relics; hill forts, pill boxes, ROC bunkers and the like, as it’s been mentioned before.
    Any better suggestions ? I’ll start the thread this evening.

MrSparkle

Go for it (there’s a pill box near us!).

rOcKeTdOg

War relics hmm, that’s a toughy, wars through any period in history?

sharki
    Free Member

Leant up against a classic car/bike.(pre 1960’s)

RD surely there’s loads of old pill boxes around, or memorial crosses..

rOcKeTdOg

Pill boxes tend to be coastal don’t they? About as far from the coast as you can be here, pondering it though

sharki
    Free Member

Most can be easily found along the coast yes.
    They were also built at other strategic sites inland, especially along canals.

Check out the gallery here and go find your nearest defence site. The gallery is in alphabetic order (county name it seems) Worcestershire is 85ish.

HTH.

Some cracking locations and buildings, etc listed there. 🙂

z1ppy

They were also built at other strategic sites inland, especially along canals & rivers

(where’s the link from your post Sharki?)

I used to go via Lechlade in Oxon to work, and feed the ducks & swans on the river opposite a pillbox, quite strange in the middle(ish) of the country.

Though I’m not that I’m aware of any pillboxes in Worcestershire/W. Mids – but I know there are air raid shelters about… Redditch definitely has one obvious one.

The other thing is that normal houses had pillbox slits added to them @ places like cross roads

sharki
    Free Member

Opps!

Nice pill on the malverns near Holt it would appear, a mortar spigot near Evesham as well as anti landing posts and home guard stores elsewhere..

http://www.pillboxesuk.co.uk/

In Somerset there was a pill box built to look like a caravan type home, and in the summer during the war, they would make straw people and animals to make it appear from the air, it was just farmers or gypo’s, iirc.

Quite a few on the north somerset coast where clad in peebles from te beach so they blended in.

Nobby

Trekster

So what is this weeks challenge ❓

There’s a few agreeing with war relics, so I’ll go with that.

redthunder
    Free Member

Late submission…[todays ride]

and a fine example of a Norman archway 🙂

Lych Gate All Saints Church Compton Greenfield Almondsbury
    Lychgate. 1924-5 by P. Hartland Thomas. Rubble and stone dressings, timber
    framing and stone slated roof. 3-bay jointed cruck rising from rubble and ashlar
    side walls. Unusual counter-balanced stile gate with ploughshare handle and
    strap hinges. Original lantern.

redthunder
    Free Member

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Weekly photo challenge. 14.2.11 – 20.2.11 – Lychgate.’ is closed to new replies.