Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Weekly photo challenge. 25.7.11 – 31.7.11 – Post boxes and Memorial Benches
  • A double challenge this week, Post boxes and Memorial Benches.
    One or the other, you don’t have to get both in the one picture.

The rules;
    1. Take a photo of your bike with something that matches the theme in the picture.
    2. Interpret the theme any way you like.
    3. Pictures should be taken between the dates in the topic title.
    4. If you post a picture you can either suggest a theme for next weeks challenge or vote for someone else’s suggestion. First suggestion to get two supporting votes becomes next weeks theme, probably.

GRAEMEJONES

One of a matching pair of benches in memory of Walt Subotta,fit as a butchers dog until Leukaemia got him 😥 .This one is at Delamere, the other one is at one of the view points on what is now the MBR Trail at CYB.
    I hope it’s a long time before I have to contribute towards another ! 😉

King George VI era Post Box.

redthunder
    Free Member

Victoria -1901

IMG_1394 by SGMTB, on Flickr
    George VI 1936 -1952

IMG_1415 by SGMTB, on Flickr
    Elizebeth II 1952 –

IMG_1505 by SGMTB, on Flickr

Whos going to do the Edward VIII in Henleze, Bristol ?. Or is it an urban ride this Friday for me 🙂

The start of this lunacy 😉

IMG_1523 by SGMTB, on Flickr

IMG_1524 by SGMTB, on Flickr

IMG_1521 by SGMTB, on Flickr

rp16v
    Free Member

i would say i can do it tommorow but its abit out of my commute path lol

crispybacon
    Free Member

I just remembered this weeks photo challenge as I was riding along.

This is a George V1 post box @ Higher Downgate Cornwall

[img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6011/5990785014_510b7a95f9_b.jpg[/img]

sunkenvilla
    Free Member

Hey. My first contributions to the weekly challenge. The first two are a memorial bench in Delamere Forest. The other two are of a post box in Winsford spotted on my way back from Delamere, which I later realised Mr Graeme Jones had already told me about.

sunkenvilla
    Free Member

No idea why my pictures aren’t showing, uploaded to Flickr and used IMG button to add the links. This would be so much easier on a social site like Facebook.

GRAEMEJONES

Yes, but who wants to be sociable like FACEBUCK, 😉

sunkenvilla
    Free Member

Sunkenvilla, I think you’re linking to the Flickr page, not the picture its self.
    Edit,
    Cross posted, looks like you’ve got it now.

sunkenvilla
    Free Member

sunkenvilla
    Free Member

sunkenvilla
    Free Member

sunkenvilla
    Free Member

Thanks to Mr Jones for his help. What an awkward way to post photos, but at least I’m on here now. Hello from a newbie!

sunkenvilla
    Free Member

And also thanks to MidlandTrailquestsGraham for joining in as well. Sorry, I’m just used to social media site posting. Forums seem so old fashioned now but I’m sure I’ll readjust.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Memorial benches was my suggestion last week but once again i am too broken to ride. Here is the bench and views that inspired me. I like that they are often set with a great view. No apologies for using photos from earlier in the year.

The bench

In memory

The view – Lincoln Cathedral (apologies for the crummy phone pic

redthunder
    Free Member

Well, in a completely sad way I went and snapped the Edward VIII at Owen Grove, Henleze, Bristol.

Edward VIII Post Box in Henleze, Bristol. by SGMTB, on Flickr

Edward VIII Post Box in Henleze, Bristol. by SGMTB, on Flickr

Then I went onto the Bristol Harbour Festival and the new trail at Ashton Court :-). Which is great IMO.

redthunder
    Free Member

The inventor of daps.

IMG_1678 by SGMTB, on Flickr

IMG_1680 by SGMTB, on Flickr

el_diablo
    Free Member

Too nice an evening not to get out!

I probably should have got a bit closer so you could read the plaque.

Some people get a bench, this guy got a signal box.

Arley station on the SVR.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

It’s above Rainow – on one of my favourite loops. I always knew it was a memorial bench but am embarrassed to say I’d not stopped to read it. Now I have done, it’s doubly poignant. In case you can’t see from the pic the inscription is: “Happy memories of Peter Sheldon Cyclist 1938 – 2003 You will never be forgotten”.

OCB
    Free Member

An apposite choice! ^

This is about the oldest post-box I can think of hereabouts.

Suggestions for next week (based on what else I saw today):
    Piles of horse droppings.
    Home-made signs for things (ducks, jam, manure, plums).
    Wells.
    Village centre war memorials.
    Orchards.
    Country Shows.
    I also saw some frankly ridiculous driving in the lanes too, but I won’t suggest that 🙄

(Hint: Before driving in the lanes – practice using reverse, and please, do try to gain at least some appreciation for the small size of your vehicle – you’ll find that you really can get nearer than a meter out from the nearside hedge without anything actually touching your paintwork … (an’ be thankful I wasn’t driving a tractor and trailer)).

z1ppy

Going for quantity not quality here:

Couple of Elizabeth II Post boxes from around Brown Clee
    (not really sure where I was)

Then the “Wall of death” that is the top of Kinver Edge, from about a 0.5 mile long stretch, & still managed to missed 3 (one due to a crowd of walkers & the other 2 as ppl were using them!).
    Small photo’s are the view from the preceeding bench:

One for TJ:

sunkenvilla
    Free Member

How about this for the next challenge, new rides/trails? OK, I know this will be easy for me as a new biker (with two new rides coming up this week) but surely the challenge will be fun for the more experienced members.

I like the idea of new trails as a theme.
    I was going to go for home made signs, but I’ll do that instead now.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/weekly-photo-challenge-1811-7811-new-trails

crispybacon
    Free Member

I know this isn’t a memorial bench but it is a memorial stone dedicated to 4 RAF aircrew who lost their lives when their plane crashed onto Hamel Down Tor on Dartmoor during WW2

I did find a dedicated bench in Houndtor Woods

[img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6149/5998474825_36e4dae163_b.jpg[/img]

GRAEMEJONES

Why is it you never find what you want when you need it? Not too sure due to the styalised script, but is this a Edward vii Post Box.It’s opposite The Wheatsheaf pub In Shrewsbury.

bikebouy
    Free Member

One of my fave trails, looking down the River Hamble. This bench says, “Enjoy the view, I know I did” but it has no name on it. Anyhoo’s thanks, I don’t stop there often, I’m normally hammering past it, but hey.. what a view.

Oh and thats my recently refurbed Lefty, it’s nice to get back on it.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Weekly photo challenge. 25.7.11 – 31.7.11 – Post boxes and Memorial Benches’ is closed to new replies.