Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What all purpose 29er/700c disc rim?
  • nedrapier

I expect I’m into moon-on-a-stick territory, but bear with me.

I’m buying a frame which I like because it’s versatile. Most miles will be 10-15 mile daily commute, but it’ll also get use as rigid 29er, tourer…

I’m after a rim that will take up to 2″ MTB rubber (max that will fit in the frame) and take a bit of abuse off road, and will also take fast road tyres as well (23mm? or at least 28mm). It’s a disc only frame, and I’ve been limiting search to disc rims because it’d look better on the bike not to have the machined surface.

I’ve considering the rims suggested on a couple of “what rim” threads on here and I’d be interested to know peoples’ thoughts and what the min/max rubber might be:

A317 – £23 each (cheapest, if it’s good for the whole range, great! flexy though?)
    Open Pro CD – £45 each – (cx rim? good for 2″?)
    TN719 – £45 – (min width road tyre?)
    Stans crest – £56 – (min width road tyre? outside runner – wide and pricey?)

Cheers!

thomthumb
    Free Member

useful chart from sheldon regarding tyre/ rim size combos.

supercyril
    Free Member

what frame?

rOcKeTdOg

DT X470 i use 2.2, CX tyres and have had 25x700c on them without issues

nedrapier

cyril – Singular Peregrine.

Seen the S. Brown site before, and wuill check back, but the it says the chart is cautious and range is often exceeded without problems, so I thought I’d ask about experience on specifics. I’ll have another read though, some useful stuff on there.

I’ll check out the DT X470, ta.

firestarter
    Free Member

Exal lx17 will do all you want but has a braking surface but you can’t have it all. Very good strong rims

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b131s116p1565

I’ve run 23mm and 2″ on then no problems.

Double walled & eyeletted and cheap too, spokes are cheap at spa too and they sell individually . In fact I bought my deore disc hubs there for 38 quid the pair as it happens 😉

I tracked these down when looking for the same type of wheelset your after for my crosscheck

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve got tn719s.

i’ve happily run a 32C tyre on there, not a 25 though. unsure about a 28, as i don’t have any and it’s a difficult thing to gauge.

when you say a fast road tyre, for what sort of duties? light slicks are almost as good as slim ones….

cynic-al
    Free Member

quite a compromise: 23mm tyres up to 2″ in fact maybe impossible if you want to run latter at low pressures.

are you really wanting one bike to work as a proper road bike AND a proper off road bike?

as for rims open pro is the obvious choice for a light and strong rim. would take a 2″ tyre ok at high pressure. dunno about disc rims.

nedrapier

are you really wanting one bike to work as a proper road bike AND a proper off road bike?

Yup! As I said, I expect I’m into moon/stick territory. I guess you took it as read I want them to be strong, light and cheap too?

I’ve got the dekerf for “real” mountain biking, but I’d like a better commuter and I like the versatility the Peregrine gives to do that, and tour and take it off road for long, mellower rides, or just a different sort of mtb ride.

I expect the best answer is to have two sets of wheels, but the build is going to be compromise anyway to sneak it under £1000, and I’d like to know where the boundaries are with the various rims.

nedrapier

al – Open pro at OK at high pressure.. how high is “high”?

Ta.

cynic-al
    Free Member

dunno. back in th day folk used similar width rims on mtbs but we used maybe 40-45psi

if I were you I’d work out where the priority is, sounds like it’s road stuff, and buy accordingly. a light rim with a light tyre will rock on road rides, if you’re on a budget even a 500gm rim will help.

or as you say maybe buy heavier cheaper set now and if you get the road bug them buy some nice light wheels.

john_l
    Free Member

I used A317s on my Peregrine – bit heavy but a good compromise for all the things you’re looking for.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve tried a 2″ on my open pro it worked but it wasn’t the best fit

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I have the TN719 rims, they are excellent.
    Running 28c tyres, although I wouldn’t go much thinner.

Ran them for years on my bike as a courier, they must have done 20,000+ miles without a problem. Numerous spoke & hub problems, but never the rim.

rootes1

Yer tn719 I fitted 28 to see, fit ok…. not sure thinner would be ok..

Perhaps best to build up two sets of.wheels? Easier to swap back and forth.

ferrit32
    Free Member

Spamage – i have a set of Halo Freedom disc 29ers on Hope Pro 2s for sale in the classfieds which should be good down to 28c (although I havent tried them) and upto to 2.2 , disc only and like new.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I run some 28s on mavic touring rims, suspect view might manage 25s

nedrapier

The A317s seem to work. I reckon I’ll go for these, or maybe the TN719s if I’m feeling flusher.

I’m not going to be winning races on it, so if it turns out 28s or 32s are the smallest I can get on there, I’ll probably not be too devastated. Actually the TNs might be better, then I’ve got a good off road rim which I could compliment with a decent set of road rims at a later date. If I go for the A317s, I might find myself wanting to upgrade in both directions.

Cheers all. Should be built up in Jan/Feb, hopefully looking not unlike one of these. Depending on how the winter pans out, I might even end up with the studded tyres as well!

boxelder

XT on Mavic Open Pro here. Obviously fine with any road tyre and would take 2″ MTB tyre too I reckon (I’ve happily run 1.8″)

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve had a 2.4″ Racing Ralph on an Open Pro. Bit wibbly wobbly at lower pressures, but it made it through a 24 hour race.
    A 2.1″ Small Block 8 was spot on.

petrieboy

Within the £1,000 limit you say?? Mmmmmm interesting! Whats the spec??

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What all purpose 29er/700c disc rim?’ is closed to new replies.