Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • What amazes you?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’m looking out the window to the south and it’s a beautiful, cold winter’s night with a nearly-full moon. The Winter Hexagon is prominently visible despite the light from the moon and, beneath it, Sirius outshines the light pollution from a medium sized Fife town.

Right up above me in the vault of the heavens is a star called Capella which, Stellarium tells me, is 42.2 light years away. The light that I’m seeing from that star was emitted by it a few months after I was born in 1968.

That amazes me. I’m not sure if my amazement is because my Xmas holidays have just started and I’m a wee bit pished or because it is incomprehensible that something can be so far away but still visible.

What do you find amazement in?

Your ability to type….

stuartie_c
    Free Member

😀

RealMan
    Free Member

The fact that Futurama doesn’t get the tv time it deserves. ITS THE BEST SHOW EVER FFS.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What do you find amazement in?

Stuff like that, actually. The mind-bogglingness of the Universe and that. Many’s the time I’ve boggled me own mind thinking about such stuff.

I like looking up at the stars on a clear night, somewhere coastal and rural. And then trying to get me head round the fact that what is visible is something like 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of all the stars in’t Universe, or something crazy like that.

It can get a little too much sometimes. Try doing it on Acid though… 😯

druidh
    Free Member

The fact that someone will have a trained professional diagnose their sick child and then prefer to follow the advice of some well-meaning amateurs on the internet.

Actually stu – the Universe is the one thing that does it for me – it’s totally incomprehensible, especially when you consider that it may just be a speck of dust within another universe, and then try to contemplate what existed before the Universe, or whatever the Universe may be contained within. Is there an edge, is it infinite?

Kunstler

This thread is like that lovely time just before closing when everybody has the love for everything and the desire to express it. I think you’re all amazing. No really, I do.

druidh
    Free Member
    MrSmith
    Free Member

that people seem willing to share the inanity of the everyday lives as well as their ‘dirty laundry’ on a forum to be read by thousands of people they have never met.

druidh
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    that people seem willing to share the inanity of the everyday lives as well as their ‘dirty laundry’ on a forum to be read by thousands of people they have never met.

You don’t “tweet” either then?

CashCowell
    Free Member

mazez amaze me

stuartie_c
    Free Member

C’mon MrSmith, we’re trying to transcend that banal ordinariness.

Druidh – only 22% in Scotland.

takisawa2

The mince pies the wife baked earlier taste pretty amazing. She realy should have hidden them though.

tartanscarf

After watching my wife birth our wee boy yesterday I’m amazed at the strength that women have, and the miracle that is life itself.

Plus stars and stuff too 🙂

LycraLout
    Free Member

Steam trains
    Potatoes – really, boil them, mash them, roast them, they’re amazing
    Breasts – female ones, wow
    X-ray imaging
    TV – amazing technology used deliver drivel into our homes, I mean X-Factor?
    High speed motorcycling and being alive at the end of it
    Sailing boats
    Readers Digest Prize Draws
    Keith Richards is still alive
    There’s a public observatory near where I live and from there I’ve seen Saturn’s rings and Jupiter’s spot (quadruple amazement in one sentence)
    The Royal Mummies in the Egyptian Museum
    Salmon jumping at Buchanty Spout

There’s so much more, but I’m tired

kimbers

20 million people watched the xfactor final

that amazes and saddens me

this country is doomed

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

In the UK? I’m sorry I just don’t believe that at all. I know that’s an estimation, but I’m pretty sure it’s a grossly over-exagerated figure.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well, I’m 54 & still stuff like the OP amazes me (thinking about the cosmos gives me a bad head)
    Danny McWotsisname amazes me.
    People who volunteer to go to prison amaze me, bar the odd exception.
    I amaze myself sometimes!

GW
    Free Member

call me shallow but I still find a nice pair of tits far more amazing than any of that guff! ^^

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Yeah, that too GW.

Just wait ’til you get to touch them – it’ll blow your mind.

kimbers – Member

that amazes and saddens me

this country is doomed

Do you actually believe the crap you write?

What exactly is wrong with sitting down with the family on a Saturday night and watching some light entertainment?

This country may well be double **** with a portion of chips, but blaming Cowell & co is a bit wide of the mark I’d say.

Kunstler

Uh oh. Now it’s like that time just after closing. Oh hang on, did someone just mention chips?

Did you call my pint a puff?

Northwind

I’m always amazed when people read something unbelievable and instead of thinking “That’s unbelievable! Perhaps it’s not true!” they think “That’s unbelievable! I shall believe it anyway”. Yet if you give them a completely simple explanation for it they’ll refuse to buy it.

loddrik
    Free Member

That people, with all the scientific knowledge we now have, still believe in god.

DrP

Similar to the above; that with strong scientific explanation, or a sound ‘physical’ theory, people still jump to mythical and mystical causes for a lot of events that occur….

Creaking house – ghosts – really??

DrP

warton
    Free Member

I’m the same, space and the universe and all that. I just can’t get my head around the scale of it…

DaddyPig
    Free Member

Eals

Pieface

it amazes me that people don’t believe in God. what other explanation can there be for the creation of this incomprehensible universe

AdamW
    Free Member

it amazes me that people don’t believe in God. what other explanation can there be for the creation of this incomprehensible universe

Ding ding! Round one!

Hold on a sec, I’ll get the kettle on and rustle up some hobnobs.

Right, I’m sorted. Now where’s woppit? 😀

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member
    uplink
    Free Member

God eh?

Well, what was it the Stephen Tompkinson character said in Brassed off?

What’s He doing? He can take John Lennon but allows Thatcher to still walk this earth [or similar]

yup, it’s pretty amazing that anything that is real would allow that to happen 😉

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

As I get older and bits of me stop working as well as they used to I realise what an awesome creation I used to be. It amazes me what I took for granted back then

surfer
    Free Member

It amazes me what I took for granted back then

Yup. Doing a pre Christmas clean and emptied out my (all things are relative!) medal draw. Its a bit saddening when you look back at even mediocre performances and struggle to even reach those speeds never mind sustain them!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

is it infinite?

It both has to be and can’t be.

DezB
    Free Member

You know what amazes me? The inability of people in their cars, to move their little finger to push the indicator stalk. How I typed that with no swear words I’ll never know

donsimon
    Free Member

Cheese.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the pale blue dot:

(thankyou Carl)

the hubble deep field image:

every point and smudge of light is a galaxy, each one containing billions of stars, this image is nothing more than what you see when you look into a small patch of darkness between the stars.

how does santa do it?

(we are truly tiny and insignificant, it’s our ability to understand this, and our humble character to accept it with open minded awe that are equal to the awesomenessitude of those images)

carbon337
    Free Member

The price of Oil being as low as what it is:

Search for it, dig it out if its there using expensive and intensive methods.

Pump it around the world via ships and pipes.

Get it refined, and then driven around the country, put into holds.

Then sell the stuff on forecourts.

How many people are involved/paid in that process – i find it astonishing that petrol is only 1.20 ltr. Bloody Coca-cola is more than that and that’s just some sugar etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘What amazes you?’ is closed to new replies.