Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 294 total)
  • What is it with these massive rucksack/camelbak things ?
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

See more and more people doing 4 mph on their full sus MTB’s, shin guards et al. Look like Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Are they going camping or what with all that stuff? Just no need at all for all that luggage and kit.

Its not as though are riding hardcare “shredding the rad” like Lopes/Peaty etc.

Ive done 6 hr + MTB rides without the need to have a 25 litre+ bag on my back.

I blame all these magazines and websites they look at. These are people living(dreaming)the extreme life style thinging.

They are defo missing the point of MTB’ing.

What is the world of MTB coming too, sad really, people being drawn in to a “lifestyle” and all this shit they dont need. 🙁

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 maybe they’re bivvying 💡

jedi

the point is that it’s their leisure time and they are enjoying what they do

GW
    Free Member

I hate big backpacks and loads of kit too but am glad others carry them as it at least gives me a chance keeping up on group rides.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No, they are missing YOUR point, similarly YOU’ve completely mised THEIR’s.

I’ve seen guys on 6″ travel bikes at Swinely and wondered whats the point, shortly before following them and craping myself as they sail off a 10ft drop without batting an eyelid, just because you ride hyper-jeycore-xxC doesnt mean they do.

JB
    Free Member

I think its really funny, there were loads of them at Sleepless in the Saddle this year… great big pack, full of stuff and all for a 7.5mile lap!!! Madness… 🙄

j_me
    Free Member

Base Jumping drop offs.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

It’s the brave new world of “skills compensators” and the purchasing of techno shite you don’t actually need. The good guys ride well on hard tails and carry the minimum kit required. The really good guys ride SS …………

RustySpanner

So where do you carry YOUR picnic then? 🙂

They are defo missing the point of MTB’ing appear to be quite happy enjoying themselves in their own way.

I like seeing newbies on bikes – reminds me of being a kid again.
    Let them get on with it and learn by their own mistakes.
    If we keep telling people what to do, they’ll just bugger off and find another hobby.

Were getting as bad as roadies with all these self imposed rules and regulations.
    Ignore them all, have fun and be yourself.
    What does it matter to you if someone chooses to break your narrow minded self imposed conformity?

kimbers

kingkongsfinger, pull yourself out of your arse and just let them be

Drac

I have a big ‘camelback’ for carrying my DSLR, I have a 6″ travel bike as I like full sus as it’s what I like to ride for what and where I ride.

I laugh at some of thise wearing shin guards and body armour on gentle routes but if they’re enjoting themselvse then that’s the point of MTBing.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Carry what you need, however you need to carry it. I always tend to carry my Camelbak with the required tools/spares/food and normally a bit extra to help others out with, took my younger brother to CwnCarn yesterday who is fairly new to the ‘sport’ and he was impressed with how much kit I could fit into a small bag, (lobo) some of which I’ll use regularly (tubes/patches/multitool) and other have yet to use but are there just in case (space blanket for example), ride with what you feel comfortable with after all isn’t it all about individual choice?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have a mate who brings loads of stuff, 14L pack for 24:12 and road rides!!
    i take the piss something rotten, but if that’s what he thinks is necessary and it keeps him happy it’s no problem to me.

pastcaring
    Free Member

@kkf how does this effect you? are these people having fun? are you?

i always ride with a bag , i ride 99% on my own and like to think i can get myself out of trouble if anything goes wrong! tools, tube, jacket, camera, food and water where else am i gonna put it?

so what is the point of riding a bike?

IA

tools, tube, jacket, camera, food and water where else am i gonna put it?

On the bike and in pockets.

JB
    Free Member

Well put RustySpanner, doesn’t stop me having a quiet giggle and in any case, politely overtaking and leaving the over-kitted types in my dust on a minimalist rigid SS or weight weeny XC bike is one of my favourite pass-times, wouldnt want that pleasure taken away from me… its even better when they think they have a go and try to chase me. 😆 Just dont chase them over jumps!

kiwijohn

On the bike and in pockets.

A bag would be a better option. As small as you can get away with.

beej

My first camelbak was too big.
    My second camelbak was too small.
    My third camelbak was just right.
    Then a bear came and ate it.

The thing is, different people have different needs, and different experience. When I was starting out MTBing I didn’t know too much about what I really needed so I bought a camelbak in a sale. It’s too big for 90% of my riding but useful for trips where I need a change of clothes/shoes at the end (riding to work, visiting people to stay over etc). Then I bought a camelbak rocket, which is too small for most things but ideal for 1-2 hours or laps of a race course (as my full-sus can’t take a bottle cage very well). Then I got a MULE – which is perfect for most things.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

JB + stumpynya12 are correct.

kimbers, I will pull my foot out of your arse if your not careful. 😆

Great if “they” are enjoying the ride, better than being a couch potato by a factor of infinite – 1.

Im always polite to these type of riders and never (well not often, unless they really deserve it)take the p1ss.

I was new to MTB’ing 24 years ago and wondered why I was so cold and legs chaffed to bugger when I had done a 3 hour MTB ride while it was p155ing down with long “snow wash” jeans on, kicker boots and a Kappa kagool.(it was fashionable then, honest)

So I can see where they are coming from, but F00K ME, theirs alot of common sense mising from these riders,you dont need full face helmest, body armour and big rucksack for the rides that they do, they dont even go downhill fast.

Bet the online stores and LBS p1ss thereself at some off the purchases they make.

You just dont need all that kit, in fact all you really need is a mobile phone and a good friend to rely on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have to say I thought it was a poor troll but take-up is high!

Waderider
    Free Member

Modern consumerism, that is all. Mostly waste.

Observe McKitts first law of outdoors equipment packing:

“The amount of gear required for any given venture expands in volume to slightly exceed the capacity of the selected rucksack/pannier etc.”

also stated as

“You won’t be able to resist the urge to fill it”.

Personally I wish mountain biking was still a few thousand committed individuals obtaining their kit from an industry in it’s infancy, but that isn’t going to happen again.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Whilst I agree with the above comments about free choice and mountain biking being about ‘breaking from the norm’ and ‘following your own path’ etc. The sad irony that I see more and more is that mountain biking seems to be developing it’s own set of rules based around fashion and the marketing techniques of various bike companies, coupled with the portrayal of mountain biking in various cycling magazines. In much the same way that my little sister once earnestly explained to me that she dressed like a goth because she was ‘an individual…just like everybody else’.

So from that perspective, I think that kingkongsfinger has a point.

…actually when I come to think of it I think that all that’s applicable to cycling in general…

PS: I’m just as much a victim for it all as the next man so I hope I’m not coming across as sanctimonious…shiny kit syndrome is a real killer!

IA

A bag would be a better option. As small as you can get away with.

In what way would it be better?

By pockets, I mean jersey back pockets Normally just contain a montane featherlight and whatever food I’m having. No weight on my back and much better temperature regulation with a clear back.

Bottle on the bike, multitool and tube taped to the seatpost (or saddleback). Pump mounted by bottle cage.

Big rides I will take a bag mind.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Modern consumerism, that is all. Mostly waste.

Surely wasteful consumerism would be owning 5 different camelbaks all of slightly different sizes to make sure you had exactly the right sized bag for any length of ride…

cynic-al
    Free Member

*get sucked in*

I often use a 15L bag as it’s what I keep all my bike stuff in, and it’s as light and comfortable as something small.

In any event, I don’t think it slows me down, and even if it did, I’m not bothered about maximum performance on a pootle with mates.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i have one ‘riding bag’ i use it when i go riding.

i carry things in it; pump/ 2 tubes/ chain tool/ spare links/ allen key tool/ 1 spare mech hanger/ 1 shoelace/ some change.

they all live in my bag all the time, i don’t see any sense in having a selection of smaller/bigger bags, and performing a risk-assesment before each ride of the likelyhood of using each item.

mimi123
    Free Member

I dont like wearing a bag – got a 1.5ltr camelbak but eve the thsi annoys me – must get one for when out without my other bag – hubby – and for winter.

slugwash
    Free Member

Personaly, I like to be prepared when I pop out quickly to the off-licence on my bike…. 😉

Ewan
    Free Member

I’ve got a big camelbak, to carry a DSLR, if it’s not in it, then I still use the same one…. it’s just emptier.

I also ride a 6 inch travel bike in Surrey… 😮

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

slugwash – Member
    Personaly, I like to be prepared when I pop out quickly to the off-licence on my bike….

are you a jailer?

DavidM
    Free Member

I ride with a big rucksack. Went bivvying across the Alps last summer, needed to fit loads of stuff in. I can only afford one bag. I guess I don’t really get this whole mountain biking thing after all

stumpy01

slugwash – you clearly haven’t packed enough keys……

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Those who take the pish out of going prepared, often wonder why no bugger helps them when they’re cold & wet & had another mechanical that they cannot fix because they’ve avoided being drawn in to a “lifestyle” and all this shit they dont need.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

You cannot PURCHASE ability, no matter how much you spend. You can however learn the basic principles and then develope your skills and fitness levels. STOP buying the latest crap produced and just ride what you have well.

uplink
    Free Member

Where’s SFB with his photo of the contents of his Camelbak when you need him?

Ewan
    Free Member

You cannot PURCHASE ability, no matter how much you spend. You can however learn the basic principles and then develope your skills and fitness levels. STOP buying the latest crap produced and just ride what you have well.

No you can’t purchase ability, but you can purchase:
    – a bag big enough to carry a coat, tools, lunch, camera, and 3L of water.
    – a bike that’ll let you ride 6ft drop offs repeatedly at speed without snapping…
    – gears / a lighter bike / rear suspension to let you ride faster and up/down steeper gnarlier stuff

ziggy
    Free Member

I guarantee no one has a bigger Camelbak than SFB, personaly I like to carry the minimum possible but then I’m a waif anyhow so don’t like too much extra weight.

Camelbak Lobo is just big enough for most of my rides.

antigee

all you really need is a mobile phone

personally i rarely choose to pick a whole in what is obviously a well thought out and rational point of view by picking on a small chink of nonsense … but go on I will

lowey

Bored Jase ?

You can **** off If you think I’ll ever give you any butties out of my back pack.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Or
    -a small bag with the correct kit thats actually required
    -a good quality rigid SS that whilst struggling with 6ft drop offs will do everything else expected of it in all conditions and not break down.
    -a large cake to eat whilst waitng for the techno freak brigade at the top of all the climbs.
    But heh as long as we are all cyclists what does it really matter…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 294 total)

The topic ‘What is it with these massive rucksack/camelbak things ?’ is closed to new replies.