• This topic has 52 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • What lights do you run?
  • lucasharrison
    Free Member

Thinking of getting some front lights for occassional road and a bit of off-road use, anyone here tried the P7 lights from DX? Or any other homebuilds?

therealhoops
    Free Member

Some blerk in classifieds has got a Lupine Edison 5 for sale. I think they're great but new bulbs aren't cheap.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Search on here for info about the DX lights. Great amount of light for your money but reliabilty issues from some and not the most focussed of beams. Search bastid light / DX / deal extreme

Myself I use homemade LEDs – a single cree as a helmet light and a triple for a bar light

Bregante

Exposure Maxx D (awesome) on the bars and a dealextreme C1? on the helmet. V impressed with the helmet light but a bit of a pain changing the battery after 2 hrs

Luminous
    Free Member

I build lights and will soon have some lights for sale. Depending on your budget, my lights may be an option for you.

L.

mboy
    Free Member

Airbike SL2 on my bars (P7 LED just like the DX light) and a DX P7 torch on my head…

LOADS of light when I need it, but mostly I just run with the Airbike on it's low or mid setting and the torch on my head off. Until I get to some technical bits, or a DH run, and I can switch both on full power and have loads of light everywhere…

Yeah, the P7's aren't the most focussed, but I tell you what, you'd have to be travelling pretty bloody fast to outrun 2 of them on full power that have been aimed right (aim has the single biggest effect on how useful a light is!). I'd love to try a troutelight though, just to see what it's like by comparison…

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I have a 2009 Maxx Daddy on the bars & now my DX has been delivered thats going on my lid! LOADS-A-LIGHT!!

mieszko
    Free Member

Just an info about the DX Bastid light. I waited for a Romisen Q5 torch for more than a month and it was still out of stock so wanted to change my order and get the £50 P7 bike light and one of the three options available was out of stock (but no out of stock info on the site). There are 2 other similar available for the same price or couple $ more but with a helmet mount included and they sport 5 modes hi-med-low-strobe-sos. I'm waiting for a response whether they are available. Low mode might be useful but sos and strobe not as much. There is a nice review with beam shots comparing it to other lights on the market.
    Muddymoles light test
    Muddymoles DX P7 light review

Luminous
    Free Member

MB.

FYI, I know someone with a P7 torch. Compared to my light (like Trouts' light, but better) the P7 has quite a tight spot beam, and generally can't live with my light.

This isn't me knocking the P7, just offering my impressions from a comparison I did recently.

🙂

L.

scottalej
    Free Member

Lumicycle. I've had my set since early 2002 so heading for 8 years and never had a problem. All parts can be bought seperately including switches, wiring looms, etc. Buy a halogen NIMH set cheap on ebay.

grumm
    Free Member

Compared to my light (like Trouts' light, but better)

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! 😛

not the most focussed of beams

That's funny I've seen quite a few people whinging that the beam was too focussed.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Troutlight user here. Absolutely stunning amount and quality of light for the money. Lots of happy troutlight users on here and you won't get anything better for the money.

I run one of these;

5500 lumens max.

OK its a homebrew with 15 of the same LEDs the Troutlight uses.

If I ever lose my day job, I'll put this into production 😉

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Hope Vision 2 for £147 i havent seen them cheaper than that unless its 2nd hand.. excellent light 5 different settings, bright wide view works great on the trails highly reccomend them

Dobbo

5500 lumens max.

😆 That's mental, what's the battery time…in minutes?

Northwind

Pair of dealextreme P7 torches here, one on the bars with a turboferret 4-pack battery for just shy of 4 hours without dimming, one on the head. Pretty great really! They're both floodlights, people say it's a good idea to have a spotlight on your head but frankly when you have 2 powerful floods you get just as much usable range, so the lack of a focus beam doesn't really matter at all to me. Only downer is that in mist/rain you get a hell of a lot of bounceback glare from a head-mounted P7.

Still, slightly tempted by a Troutlight, last night I really felt like i could use more light for the first time. Not that I was short of light but more would be nice.

Dobbo

I've just ordered a turboferret 4-pack battery holder (got 3000 mAh batts for it), what do you keep yours in Northwind? I've gone for a DX light and was planning on sticking it in the battery pouch.

snowpaul
    Free Member

HOPE led 2 – superb and great service !!

paul

simondbarnes

I use a Hope Vision 4. Really nice bit of kit.

Dobbo – Member

5500 lumens max.

That's mental, what's the battery time…in minutes?

I was going to ask for it in seconds.

I use a Hope Vision 4 too and very impressed.

That's mental, what's the battery time…in minutes?

I've 3 settings for off road

1 hour @ 5500 Lumens

3 hours @ 2100 Lumens

5 hours @ 1500 Lumens

That covers all uses.

and this is what a Lumicycle HID looks like in comparison

epicyclo

daveatextremistsdotcouk – Member
    I run one of these … 5500 lumens max.

I suppose you only have to flick it on for a few seconds, and then you can see where you're going by the burning trees.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

lol so when i see my next forest fire i know what caused it ;p

trout
    Free Member

Compared to my light (like Trouts' light, but better)

Have you been drinking with Captain Crash 😕

trout
    Free Member

Dave That is chuffing mental I luv it .

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Hope 2 on the bars, Hope 4 on the lid.

Cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

5500lumen – thats like 4 car headlights is it not – or have I bolloxed the math?

My motorcycle was fine at 100mph with 160 w of halogen which is around 3500 lumen IIRC

Mad – totally mad . will your eyes not be constricting the pupils at that light level?

Mad in a good british shedbuilder mad of course

stumpy01

I've got the Lumi 20/12w halogen combo with the Endurance Li-Ion battery. The battery is pretty big, but gives plenty of run time.

Thinking about converting one of the cans to LED and if it's good/easy then doing both, but never seem to get round to it.

I've also got a helmet torch, but don't use it that often.

nicks
    Free Member

maxx d on the bars and joy stick on my helmet.

Dave That is chuffing mental I luv it .

It caused a bit of a stir at the Dorset Rough Riders night ride the other week. I got some serious enquiries from the 'gotta have one of those' types.

Rather worryingly I have come across riders who just want more and more lumens regardless. I have just started on a 12000 Lumen WTF version in the same size case as the above but with a chunky heatsink and four 25mm fans for cooling. I can get 32 XPG in there! S2 brightness levels of course.

Needs an 8 amp/hour battery at 14V. With Lithiums it'll be under a kilo.

Strange isn't it. Twenty years ago I was running a 50W halogen lamp and folks were telling me to start making similar systems. I just laughed and told them it would never catch on. Doh!

trout
    Free Member

Jeeze you still trump me be 1 led

Jeeze you still trump me be 1 led

I use those APEM switches as well. Nice aren't they.

(must stop there, getting too geeky)

Northwind

For Dobbo- I use the neoprene bag Ferret sells. It's a bit crap tbh but it does the job perfectly, it's just a pain to load the pack into it.

Luminous
    Free Member

C'mon Trout, hardly fair, that. 😉

L.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

I'm currently using a pair of these:-
    http://www.tigerlights.co.uk/
    .. and am looking to possibly get a Hope Vision 2 as a helmet light.

Still doesn't stop me falling off at night in Swinley! 8)

GJP
    Free Member

Hope 2 on the bars – Joystick on the lid. Although I would prefer a bit more Umph.. tbh. I often realise I am benefiting from my mate's more powerful lights and then he leaves me standing on some downhill stretch and I it all looks dark again which makes me ride even slower 🙁

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

Took my Troutie 6XPG out for the first time last night. Perfect! It really does kick ass, and after 2 hours the battery was still going strong on full. I think I may need something on my helmet though as well for tight twisty stuff.

montylikesbeer

A proud trout light user here and have a baby trout on loan as well, a happy man I am

bunkbed
    Free Member

bb
    I was using a Lumicycle twin up to the last few weeks, thats been sold to make way for the troutlight which is having many uses other than just biking.
    luminous, is your light nearly ready yet? we only ever seem to see side shots of the case and youre raving about it.
    🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

Hope LED 2 for me too.
    Mine are the older 230 Lumens.
    I was out tonight for 2hrs with them.

As long as you know the route, you'd not need anything brighter.
    At real speed the only issue is that the beam is maybe not as bright and as long as some more powerful beams.

But if you know the trail, it's not an issue at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘What lights do you run?’ is closed to new replies.