• This topic has 207 replies, 109 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Soup.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 208 total)
  • What salary are you on & what qualifications do you have?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

(Just reding the despondent threads about redundancies etc,) Meaning what qualifications that are linked/required for your work.
    Me, 26K & none. (I’m a qualified motor mechanic who’s now a prison officer.)
    What else could I do to make 26K without any NVQ’s etc? & be reasonably secure. (pension included!)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

£36k
    degree and PGCE

druidh
    Free Member

I was working in IT and only had Scottish Higher Grade (e.g. high school). I was making more than double your £26k. You might not call it secure any more though – I left as part of a round of redundancies.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

£35K
    degree Electronic Eng.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You could be a bus driver or tube driver, £30K plus. The bus you don’t have to drive that well, brake hard and accelerate hard and generally make a crap journey for your passengers. Tube driver, operate a dead mans lever, free travel, cheap food and be able to sleep in while your trade union leader holds the general public to ransom on your behalf.

Hadge
    Free Member

Well I would have been on £500,000 a week but my agents couldn’t agree any terms with a team called Manchester City I think. So I’m staying in Italy instead.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m amazed anyone is replying to this thread!

djglover
    Free Member

Why its such a taboo subject to talk about your salary?

Goz
    Free Member

Nosey fecker….

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m open about my income with those I know if they’re interested and are open with me! I have an MSc which was a waste of time from a financial perspective.

druidh
    Free Member

djglover – Member

Why its such a taboo subject to talk about your salary?

Weird one eh?

takisawa2

Spot on.
    Lets show them poor buggers who may have just been made redundant how much they now DONT earn.
    Spot on.

zokes
    Free Member

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i earn cock-all and have cock-all qualifications, bit of correlation somewhere methinks!

nukeproof
    Free Member

I have an MSc which was a waste of time from a financial perspective.

As was mine but it was a laugh going back to Uni again 5 years after getting my degree.

Now on embaressing low levels of money but its fairly secure and I quite enjoy it plus the hours are few.

rs
    Free Member

Its an interesting thread, like djglover i don’t see why people are so touchy about it.

Hons Degree in Civil & Transport Engineering (grad in 2000)
    Left the UK last year on 29k, now working in canada on $81k which with the current exchange rate = 46k, nice, still skint all the time though.

geminafantasy
    Free Member

I got a chemistry BSc last june, but can’t find any work! (made more difficult due to the fact I refuse to work in any form of lab) So decided to just save (working in a pub) and sod off to oz for a year instead 🙂 – might have to sell the bike though 🙁

djglover
    Free Member

Oh and FWIW, A couple of A levels and 55K

simondbarnes

Degree in Chemistry, work in a bike shop, earn a shit load less than any of the figures above. Much happier than when I was working in the oil industry though.

bruneep

£30,877

very little qualifications

pk-ripper
    Free Member

B Eng, M Eng, ACA

More than £60k, less than £80k.

tails
    Free Member

More than £60k, less than £80k.

ooohhh i reckon £70k 😉

stompy

Between 3 and 5 shillings aday….. depending on how many shoes i shine 😕

Daffy

20 GCSEs,
    4 A-levels,
    4 Microsoft certifications,

£0k

grumm
    Free Member

2 BAs 😉 – 17 grand a year but I don’t work full time. I also really like my job and life generally at the mo’. 😀

rolfharris
    Free Member

I have I think 11 GCSEs, 3 A-levels, and am an undergrad and fully expect to leave uni and not find a job because there won’t be any left.

Think I might have to do another degree and just live off student loans until things look better…

MrOvershoot

£39K
    HND Electronic Eng.

But I do almost sod all electronics these days, just manage a department of very random engineers keeping the NW supplied with flour!

Thankfully our business is not one that is impacted much by times of boom or bust.

druidh
    Free Member

rolfharris – Member

I have I think 11 GCSEs, 3 A-levels, and am an undergrad and fully expect to leave uni and not find a job because there won’t be any left.

Think I might have to do another degree and just live off student loans until things look better…

I’m thinking of a couple of years of college too…

mboy
    Free Member

Was on high 20s until I got made redundant (Woohoo, someone contributed who has been made redundant I hear you all cry!), so now I’m on £60.50 a week!

BEng Degree, 4 years experience relevant to my industry since leaving uni, and a few other relevant qualifications. Looking at the jobs about currently similar to what I was doing, I’d say I was underpaid as most seem to be above £30k, so that’s what I’m aiming for next. Though of course I’ll just be happy to get some money coming in sooner rather than later if time drags on.

nickc

I run my own business, so as far as the tax man is concerned, I “earned” £9k last year. I have to make my own lunch as well….

nickc

Oh, sorry, 10 O-levels

Snigletrack
    Free Member

Mind your own funkin business…

Actually, I’ve honestly no idea whatsoever. ‘Ample’ would probably be my best guess.

Snigle
    :o)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

simondbarnes

hey Simon! I thought you’d not bothered rejoining the forum when I’d seen nothing from you, but now I’ve checked your list of topics I see our posts are almost entirely discontiguous :o)

mboy
    Free Member

nickc – Member

I run my own business, so as far as the tax man is concerned, I “earned” £9k last year. I have to make my own lunch as well….

Sounds like you better employ someone to make your lunches every day, Salary of ooooh, I don’t know, about £9k would sound about right! 😉

Seriously though, is there a lower limit when you’re self employed, which if you pay yourself below that amount then they’ll automatically investigate? Otherwise shouldn’t you ultimately aim to pay yourself Zero? Or am I missing the point?

samuri
    Free Member

don’t really want to discuss wage specifics but I get paid quite a nice amount. It’s not the highest quoted here but I feel quite reasonably paid for what I do and the trade I work in.

qualifications…hmmm, not sure how many actually got me where I am but…

10 O levels
    2 A/O levels
    3 A levels
    HND Electronic Engineering
    CISSP
    JNCIA FW
    currently studying for my CEH

ex-pat
    Free Member

HND Business & Finance.
    IT Business Analyst in Aus – salary in line with what you’d find on Seek.com.au

NZCol

As a business owner i am expected to pay myself a market salary for my occupation … which I do although to be fair if i was in the market its les than 50% of what I would expect ! I do pay tax on the rest, just 10% less tax than what I should be paying. But it adds up. Total amount *thinks* roughly 4 times what i would get on the open market 🙂
    BSc Computer Science and electrical Engineering plus some industry quals.

counterculture
    Free Member

£16k, no qualifications, but i get to sit about and read newspapers all day and drink cups of tea/coffee/milk all day, and hardly ever work

stuartkendall
    Free Member

I am on zero per annum (redundant) and I have a BSc (hons) 2.1 in environmental science. Also have 5 years lab experience. Any welsh employers out there?

somafunk

I left High School when i was 16 with a handful of O-grades back in 1989, dunno what they are though? – never had a job interview in my life as everyone i’ve worked for has either known me or i’ve been recommended to them, other qualifications i’ve gathered up over the years in chronological order include motor vehicle mechanic, very handy as every cheap car i have owned has never been to a garage to get serviced/repaired saving me a fortune. Hnd Mechanical Engineering/CNC, again very handy, also sat night school for Hnd Electronic/Electrical Engineering at the same time as Mech Eng, never had to employ a sparky and can figure out how to repair pretty much anything that breaks down. I’ve also worked for various mates over the years who are plumbers/builders/sparky’s etc so can bumble away with competence without having to pay for “expert advice”. I managed a mates pub/hotel/restaurant for 2years whilst he was detained at “Her Majestys Pleasure” – bloody good fun but 2years in that line of work was enough.

Currently working as a chocolatier for a friends company, i got asked if i could help out one weekend and i’m still there 3yrs later (dunno how i wandered into this one?) for 15k/yr but job very secure,good laugh and can make up my own hrs to suit me so i’m quite happy……………..if i could have left school earlier than 16 to work i would’ve jumped at the chance as school bored me shitless, prob didn’t help going to 7 primary schools/4 high schools as my folks moved around looking for work.

Not motivated by money in the slightest, it comes….it goes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘What salary are you on & what qualifications do you have?’ is closed to new replies.