Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What size Dialled Alpine do you ride?
  • rs
    Free Member

Ok, so close to finally ordering one of these, not sure whether to go for the 15.5 or 17, will be going for the 22″ TT. What size are you guys running, how tall are you and how do you find it, oh and what length seatpost do you need for it? Pics more than welcome too.

Jimbo
    Free Member

E-mailed Mike? He is rather helpful 🙂

jimmy

I have the 15.5 / 21. Its what I wanted for a do-everything bike, from jump park to XC rides but I recently rode a pal’s 17 / 22 and it felt more like something which I could ride for longer, but still bags of fun. I’m 5’6″.

How tall are you and what do you want it for?

Jamie
    Free Member

I am 5’7″ with 31″ inside leg and riding a 15.5″ x 22″. Bang on size wise with either a 50mm or 70mm stem, running 70mm at the mo.

Like Jimmy i use mine for everything as its me only bike and its great at either chicksands or 30 mile XC slogs….albeit a bit harder work than my old 853 Rock Lobster but its just more exercise innit :mrgreen:

rs
    Free Member

I’m 5’10”, it will be used as my all round bike so a bit of everything, I will be going for the 22 TT, just wondering how much difference if any it makes between 15.5 and 17, I could run a longer seatpost on the 15.5 and get the same position effectively, I think.

Swayndo
    Free Member

6′ on a 17/22. Had a 17/23 first but found the wheelbase too long for me at speed downhill.

Reign_Man
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and ride a 17/22, got a 70mm stem and I find pretty ideal, use mine for everything but its especially good around fast technical singletrack.

rs
    Free Member

Is there really much difference between a 15.5/22 and 17/22, the angles and TT are the same, surely just a case of standover height. Is the ST size centre BB to top of ST?

jimmy

I’d go for the 17 for an all rounder bike. Its still a low TT at that and on the 15.5 I have tons of seatpost out. My pal who has one is about 5’10”, he has the 17.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

go for a 17 if your 5foot10

The top tube is that of a 15inch bike anyway (due to the extended seat tube) and you’ll be able to get a decent saddle height without having to run loads of seatpost.

I run a 17/22 and Im 6foot2

ackie
    Free Member

Just under 6’1″ and riding a 17/23″ with 80mm stem. It has quite a long wheelbase but suits me.

rs
    Free Member

cheers all, i’m still undecided so fired Mike an email to get the main mans opinion. Been looking on flickr at some builds, I don’t know what it is but the smaller ones just look better and its only an extra 1.5 inches of seat tube showing. I’m sure some of these bikes are you guys.

This looks like the 17

This looks like the 15.5

not sure on this one

Probably a 15.5

There’s certainly not a lot in it which is whats making the decision so difficult.

Jamie
    Free Member

Pretty sure most of the above belong to STW members, so you should get confirmation of sizes.

solamanda
    Free Member

rs – Top one you post was mine. It’s a 17″ x 23″. I’m 6ft1 and used it biased towards downhill with some trail riding. I found the sizing spot on with a short stem. I wouldn’t want it any bigger. It’s supposed to be a ‘play’ bike setup so don’t go by normal xc bike sizing.

The relatively ‘long’ wheelbase was lovely when I was swapping between a dh bike and the alpine while I was doing my season in the alps. Very stable at speed.

coogan
    Free Member

Second pic is mine. I’m 5′ 6″ and its a 15.5/22 if I remember right.

alpin
    Free Member

i have a 15.5/21. i’m 5’7″

can be a little cramped when out riding on the flat stuff but find that with the TT being short i can get lots of weight forward on the climbs. currently have a 50mm stem. maybe a longer stem and definitly some wider bars. i know it’s only 1″ TT difference buti think that can be overcome with a longer stem for longer slog it out rides. been looking to get this stem and bar combo-
    http://www.syntace.de/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=83

should mean i can change positions quickly and easily whilst out riding.

planning on riding from munich, over the alps to fano in italy come the summer.
    on the downs it rocks. being so small means you can get right out over the back when you need without catching any bits on the saddle. it’s also very cuckable.

saddle isn’t always so low!

rs
    Free Member

better watch that’s not there when the bin man comes round, I’m starting to think the 17/22 is the one for me.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’m not sure how tall I am, about 5’9″ / 5’10” I think. I pontificated over this long and hard. I also exchanged serveral emails with Mike at Dialled Bikes (a man amongst men if he doesn’t mind me saying so). In the end it seemed that I was right on the border line between 15.5″ and 17″. In the end Mike recommended the smaller frame with a longer seat post.

So, just riding along, well I think that the 17″ would have been a better bet (my other bike is a 16″ Coyote Dual) however…

Climbing? Oh yes. It climbs like a goat. Plenty of room to move around.

Now, the best bit. Descending. OMG!!!It goes down like a tramp on a kipper. I sold my FS to fund this bike and I have no regrets. The only change I might make is a lay back seat post. Picture? Go on then.

FB-ATB

When I ordered my frame just before christmas, I think they only had stock of the 15/21. Luckily I’m a 5’8″ shortarse, so it should be ok. Unfortunately it’s still in the box as my contract ended in the new year so I can’t comment on how it rides yet 😥 Doesn’t help when Shimano up their prices daily.

Jamie
    Free Member

Doesn’t help when Shimano up their prices daily.

I feel for you mate, if i was to do my Alpine build now, instead of last June/July, i would be looking at about 40% more!

…and while we are posting pics, here is what a freshly made 15.5/22″ looks like:

jimmy

If we’re doing pics… this is a 15.5/21 when I built it up. Have since swapped the big ring for a bash, destickered the forks and put some decent tyres (and a chain) on.

Agree with whats been said about pointing it downhill, its awesome. Unless its just me, but I doubt it.

rs
    Free Member

awesome bikes guys, i’m still undecided for now, don’t think I can go wrong either way though to be honest.

snotrag

Probably a 15.5[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/3008114013_c4a27116da.jpg?v=0[/img]

Yes, thats mine. its a 15×22. Like the poster above, I thought I was between sized (I’m 5’10”) and Mike reccomended the smaller.

I’ve got a 40mm Thomson in there, but you could actually easily run a 350 if your not much taller than me. The only thing I do want to do is change the 50mm stem for a 70mm to give me a little more stretch for climbing.

I may also look more closely into knocking the Floats from 160mm down to 140mm. Purely as an experiment, mind.

I bloody love mine,m even though I’ve not really ridden it much since I bought it due to lack of time (finishing uni). All done now though, and Srping is springing, so really looking forward to it.

Another point to note for potential customers – I’m pretty sure the website says 200mm rotors wont fit. Well, er, they do, easily. Although I see no one else is daft enough to be running a dinner plate on the back.

And finally – Deep Purple does not come across well in Photos – its veeeery pretty.

rs
    Free Member

cheers snotrag, as i said in the other thread ended up going with the 17/22, not much difference really and I don’t need the top tube to be super low just quite low, 1.5 inches ain’t that much so not too concerned. I though the limit on 180 rotors was due to loading on the frame more than anything, I have a 203 front and back so i’ll be joining the club for now, dam i wished the post would hurry up!!!

st

Mine is 17/23″ and I’m 6’1″ it’s really nice but to get the seat high enough for regular riding it’s well high and looks daft, rides nicely though!

GEDA
    Free Member

Wrong post

scruff
    Free Member

Still, while were are on the subject THIS will be up for sale soon ( 17/22).

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

17/22, 5'10 here. Lasted about two months before I wanted something else

Just in case anyone else gets confused by the 11 month old thread coming back to life, the revised Alpine sizing is a slightly less confusing (I hope) 16" with 22.25" top tube and 18" with 23.25" top tube.

Reign_Man
    Free Member

I'm 5' 10" and I find a 17/22 ideal. I guess on the new sizing I would have gone for a 16/22.25. It really is fantastic on fast technical singletrack.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What size Dialled Alpine do you ride?’ is closed to new replies.