Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What Torque wrench ?
  • gnarlynath
    Free Member

Need a torque wrench. All this carbon stuff makes me very nervous about over tightening. 4nm or less and upwards is the aim.
    Any recommendations?

geoffj
    swank
    Free Member

Am going through exactly the same worry. Have two carbon bikes and not sure if 4NM is one or two grunts.

Have found plenty of torque wrenches – just not the allen key attachments.

jim
    Free Member

Doesn’t someone (Ritchey?) do a little fixed torque tool specifically for carbon bits?

markc123
    Free Member

If you have a local machine mart:
    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht204-38in-drive-reversible-torque-wre

I have the 1/2″ drive version and have been happy with it. Overkill for the bike, but that just makes it easier to turn don’t it?

Frankers
    Free Member

Norbar 11034 is the best to go for

3/8sq dr and 1-20Nm

joemarshall
    Free Member

Have found plenty of torque wrenches – just not the allen key attachments.

Allen key attachments are surely just socket allen bits – you can buy them from any tool supplier, halfords have them in big but cheap and surprisingly okay quality socket sets, machinemart do just an allen key set on its own, local tool shop will probably do individual bits if you only want some sizes.

Is there one torque wrench that covers the range for most bike parts – the one above appears to be too high a range no?

Joe

mudshark
    Free Member

I have this comes and it comes with allen key bits:

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/7078/BBB-TorqueFix-Torque-Wrench.html

markc123
    Free Member

Whats the lowest torque you need?

I dont have any pimpy carbon bits to check!

onandon
    Free Member

are the BBB ones any good ?
    they sell for around £40 on ” the bay ”

Ive been split between buying this and the Teng tools version.

mudshark
    Free Member

I think the BBB one is a fine bit of kit! I found some good reviews when I googled for info.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of reasonably cheap Sealey wrenches that seem to do the job well enough (no carbon kit though). In theory you’re supposed to get them recalibrated every year but mine get such light use I’ve never bothered (and it’d probably be cheaper to buy new again).

Generally you need two to cover the whole range of bike applications from around 2-3Nm for delicate stuff up to 60-70Nm for cartridge bottom brackets and the like. Bear in mind too that if you want to use the wrench for bottom brackets it will need to measure torque in both direction, a lot of torque wrenches have reversible ratchet heads but only measure torque in one direction. On my reversible one you can push the driver head through to the other side for reverse threads.

FuzzyWuzzy

BBB one is fine IME, might not be as accurate as £100+ ones that you bother to get calibrated every year but it’s good enough for bike stuff. I also have a Park one but prefer the ratchet style BBB one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What Torque wrench ?’ is closed to new replies.