• This topic has 62 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • What tyre pressure do you ride with?
  • andywarner
    Free Member

I’ve always ridden with no more than 30psi. Chatting to a mate yesterday and he always has his at 50psi. The difference in pressure is huge. I’m going to try it at 50 today but I’m expecting some pretty sketchy cornering. Should make for some nice road climbs though.

gnusmas

55 psi on the front and 50 psi on the rear works for me when on the trails and general off road

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find 30 far too low – the tyres squirm arounds and roll on the rims – most unpleasant feeling.

it depends a lot on the tyre tho. depending on the tyre and terrain I use 35 – 50 psi

superfli
    Free Member

30 too low, you are more likely to get pinch punctures (if inners are used). I ride with around 40-45.

Amos
    Free Member

I’ve recently gone the other way (yesterday at Swinley actually) Normally run about 30-35 psi in Nobby nics 2.2 dropped them to 20 psi and what a difference, climbed everything with bags of grip and cornered like it was on rails, loved it! it was pretty wet however

tree-magnet
    Free Member

’bout that much *pushes thumb on tyre*

Which last time I checked was around 35 I think.

A mousse that’s about 25 on my Husky 450.

hopster
    Free Member

20 front and 22 rear on a rigid ss. I don’t weigh much though and run them tubeless.

senorj

Depends on location/conditions –
    36/38psi lakes , 38/40 psi darn sarf in the dry, for instance.
    Too high a pressure i find I just bounce off things.
    If there was a lot of tarmac/fire road I’d go higher pressure.

bigdonx
    Free Member

30 front / 35 rear ish. Sometimes a bit more (never more than 40), sometimes less, depending on tyres and/or terrain. I weigh about 13st.

45psi
    95kg on a 29er hardtail.
    Any less and they burp.

bol

About 25psi seems right for me on my UST Nics and tubeless Bonty xr4s. About 30-35 with tubes. Tubeless I think the rims have as much to do with how low you can go as te tyres do.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Those of you that ride with 20 ish psi – do you not find the tyre squirms on the rim?

Simon

Approx 30 front, 35 rear with tubes. And a bit less tubeless.
    50psi off-road isn’t going to give a lot of grip.

GJP
    Free Member

About 40-45 for me running with tubes. 30-35 when I experimented with tubless. Roadie at heart to struggle with super low pressures.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

35-40 psi. I’m 14 stone and seldom pinch puncture.

Edric64
    Free Member

I just pump tyres until they are hard ,about 60psi I am heavy and would rather compromise grip a bit than have lots of pinch punctures

AJ
    Free Member

18-20 in the rear 8-10 in the front

85kg 29er rigid with fat front

coolhandluke
    Free Member

38 F&R

andywarner
    Free Member

I always used to pump mine up to 40 until I stopped cycling in my early 20s, then when I moved back to Yorkshire and started mtbing again got it into my head that 25-30 would give the best performance. Looking forward to trying 50 today though. I’m between 13 and 14 stone, depending on how good or bad I’ve been over the preceeding week or two.

bol

TJ – I use Traversees which have a pretty wide rim. I think that helps the tyres to feel less squirmy. Anything below 20psi still feels very odd.

souldrummer
    Free Member

30 front and back tends to be my default setting no matter what tyre and rim combination. Put some Swampthings on last week and found that I actually preferred them at about 35. At 30 they just didn’t seem ‘solid’ enough.

Diane
    Free Member

48 as i can’t be arsed with punctures but am always beeing told off by my riding buddies 🙂 So i’m going to go tubeless and try lower pressures.

CaptJon
    Free Member

40.234 psi front
    42.331 psi back

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bol – ta

poppa
    Free Member

Pressure divided by rider weight is a much more useful number than pressure on its own.

Bregante

35 ish on the front – kenda blue groove stickee
    40 ish on the rear – kenda nevegal

any more on the front and it feels pretty sketchy

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

bonty 2.2 and 2.0 on a wet wed night ride this week, no more than 20 psi and they were fine. normally ride 30psi in my 2.35 and they too are fine. I’m fairly light and like to think I’m quite a smooth rider which might explain a lack of pinch flats or tyre squirming.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Is this not pointless – you’d have to assume that everybody is running tyres / the same overall volume and sidewall strength, on rims of the same width and that riders are all the same weight!

I’ll add mine – 45-50psi on DT5.1 with panaracer fire XC, down to 40 with larger volume tyres (Specialized Enduro 2.2 or Maxxis Crossmark). Any lower and I tend to hit the rim and/or hate the squirming! This may change when I go tubeless…

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Going up Hellvelyn this morning,My pressures will be around 30f-35r,(2.5 tyres) I tend to go by feel, rather than a specific amount.

Rider weight/rims and tyre volumes have a big effect on grip though,but “too much” pressure has a hudge effect on rider confidence and the potential to crash etc..

I am very surprised at anything over 35 though,In the lakes it would be very hard work climbing/decending on rocky sections,If you pick the smoother flowey lines, it should avoid the need for harder pressures,to reduce punctures, imho. 😉

incognito
    Free Member

about 45 depending on terrain.

thefallguy
    Free Member

I was at Cannock yesterday and first circuit I had 38 f&r ( spesh Purgatory tyres tubeless on a flow rim) and the lack of grip was astounding giving me little confidence on the pebble surface, in the afternoon I dropped the pressures to 30 f&r- it was a revelation, so much more grip I felt I could attack the corners, (tyres weren’t squiming either TJ) and felt good on the jumpy bits too. Lesson learnt! IMO If you run your tyres hard it pays to have a go with less pressure .

singlespeedstu

25-30 rear 6-10 front on my rigid fat front 29er.

25-30 rear 20-25 front on all my other bikes.

chiefgrooveguru

Low 20s front, high 20s rear, Bontrager XR4 and Specialized Purgatory tubeless.

Onzadog
    Free Member

On average, around 25 front and 30 test. Even the 32 mm tyre on the commuter are only 60. I weigh nearly 15 st and find I get grip rather than squirm running them like this.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

35-40 with tubes
    20-25 tubeless

100KG rider

Tubeless seem to grip more and squirm less and roll just as well with lower pressures. Tubed seems very draggy and squirmy at lower pressures.

ando227
    Free Member

13 stone, I run 40psi in the back and 35 up front in an effort to keep a combination of reasonable rolling resistance, grip and puncture free riding. I used to run higher pressures (50r/45f)but have found lowering them has improved grip and handling without feeling like i am riding through treacle. Hate pinch flats so not keen to go much lower.

theotherjonv

Ditto what was said about these being semi-pointless comparisons without considering tyres and rim widths too. But, for the record I usually pump to 35r / 30f and then leave them until they start to feel a bit soft.

I’m also unconvinced by the accuracy of pump gauges. I used a mate’s pump recently to the same pressures and felt the tyres were more inflated than using mine. But it doesn’t matter as long as you know what you want on your pump.

Lastly, there are times when I change. At Cwmcarn last week, I pumped to 30 and 35 as above but halfway up the first bit felt at risk of pinch flatting the rear on the rocky bits, so put some more in. On the other hand my normal terrain is Swinley where pinch flats are rare but slippy roots are far more evident, and there lower is definitely preferable.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Vary depending on trail condition and tyres and rims but I start with 30f and 35r. Earlier in the year I had a Kevlar beaded maxxis advantage 2.1 on the back but was getting pinches. 40 stopped that but was too pingly and slow. I switched to the wire beaded version and dropped back to 35 and all is well again.

Junkyard
    Free Member

sometimes this place surprises me.
    No idea I pump it till it feels nice and hard when pinched with my thumb [ oh er missus] and have never felt the need to know the exact pressure.
    Having just checked them i find I have no air pressure gauge and they are quite hard
    HTH

KT1973
    Free Member

40 psi

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘What tyre pressure do you ride with?’ is closed to new replies.