Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What tyres are best for freeride/agressive all mountain?
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Got a Santacruz Bullit and just bought some new EX729’s on pro2’s and want to treat them to some nice new rubber 🙂
    What do people recommend I was looking at minions, kenda nevegals and tioga FR’s

Anyone???

grumm
    Free Member

Aggressive All-Mountain? Is that similar to pinning? Or is that more Aggressive Endurism? 😉

High Rollers?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m liking my Rubber Queen muchly at present.

MussEd
    Free Member

Going to resist the need to rip the piss out of Agressive XC and recommend High Rollers too.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Sorry should have just said freeride! walked right on to that one 🙁

sofatester
    Free Member

“Aggressive XC” WTF?

You deserve everything coming your way dear fellow!

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Which Highrollers though? Iv’e heard the super tacky dual ply soft ones wear out super fast and the side knobs get ripped off too easy!
    Would the single ply lightweight ones be ok as they apparently last much longer i’m not professional or anything!! 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Well for near death mega agro xc I prefer to use Single ply high rollers

scruff
    Free Member

Agressive All mountain tyres- are they the same as those required for big-boned XC ?

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve got single ply 2.35s – front super tacky and rear 60a – the front one shows no signs of wear after a few months, the back has worn a little in the middle but no knobs ripped off or anything.

I don’t use them for ‘freeride’ though btw.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can someone clarify the difference between agressive XC and all mountain lite for me please?

😉

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Super Tacky aren’t as fragile as you’ve been led to believe methinks – they’ll last a good few months of abuse and the soft compound means they’ll still be grippy when the tread is well down. I’ve never had a problem with the side lugs ripping off.

You’ll find that they are a bitch to pedal around on, especially the 2ply, it’s like dragging a tractor tyre behind you. If you push up an rip down then go for the 2ply st’s. If you like to ride around a bit, get harder compound, single ply on the front and maybe 2ply on the back depending on how big you send it.

peter poddy
    Can someone clarify the difference between agressive XC and all mountain lite for me please?

Gladly. Aggressive xc can only be witnessed when a pinner is shredding the gnar on an xc trail. The emphasis is on having fun, as opposed to gurning about in lycra with your bum in the air pondering when the optimimum time to take your next gel would be.

All mountain is a type of bike that is as at home on the descents as it is on the climbs. Usually bought by people who think they are partaking in aggressive xc, but in reality they are just xc riders in denial. This is easy to spot due to their inability to shred the gnar.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thanks GNARGNAR exactly the response I was looking for mate 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

“send” what GNARGNAR?

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I really get on with Nobby Nics, expensive but they seem to work for me.

james
    Free Member

If theres an element of All-mountain in there (albeit aggressive) I assume you still want to ride uphill with it? And no need for dual ply?

2.35″ (older design tread) maxxis are pretty small

2.5″ Maxxis High Roller single ply in 60a Maxxpro (or 42a Supertacky – maybe useful upfront) are pretty grippy, wiegh about 880g

I’ve Not used minions

2.25″ Maxxis Advantage are about the same volume, but less grippy. The 60a folding version comes in at 660g
    Theres a massively bigger 2.4″ version at 845g

Kenda Nevegal 2.35″ stickE seem alright. Predictable in mud, but not as good as 2.5″ 60a Maxxpro high rollers

Though for a bullit I’d assume you’d be avoiding them anyway, avoid 2.4″ conti mountain kings. Abmismal in mud, and really quite small

“the single ply lightweight ones”
    Which ones are they then?
    In a 2.35″ theres a single ply (wire) AND a folding bead version (in 60a)

grumm
    Free Member

I have single ply Super Tacky up front and they are not that draggy uphill – dunno about the 2ply ones though.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

sofatester –
    “send” what GNARGNAR?

IT of course, and I’m not talking about information technology.

ash

I find 2.35 single ply minions the best for Freecore/BigMountainLite riding, but for Aggressive All-Mountain… no idea 😉

walleater

3C compound Maxxis tyres are teh bestist if you can still get them in Credit Crunch UK. Any soft compound tyre will only get ripped to shreds if you don’t think that skidz r fo kidz. I made a Super Tacky HR last for almost a season on the front of my beik.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thanks james, think i’m gonna get the standard 2.5 single ply high rollers, they get great reviews and should be just right for the Bullit 🙂

Thanks guys

Potdog
    Free Member

Side knobs all started to part company with the tyre casing on my Nevegals. Not what I wanted to see at that price!

rs
    Free Member

gnargnar, very funny! 😆

james
    Free Member

“Thanks james, think i’m gonna get the standard 2.5 single ply high rollers”

I didn’t think I’d get taken too seriously, I’m not an actual free-riding person. Maybe consider a 42a supertacky up front? Though the 2.5″ high rollers were marked-ly? more grippy than anything else when I used them last. Probably due to the deep tread, and Kenda StickE compound not being that sticky

iamtheresurrection

Second the Rubber Queens with Black Chilli. I’m running the UST 2.2s which are plenty big enough for me – the 2.4s are meant to be HUGE!

The Black Chilli compound is also in my Conti Force and Attacks – and seem to be gripping, rolling and wearing well. Too early to tell on the RQs…

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Just bought 2 brand new maxxis high rollers, 26×2.5’s 42a super tacky 40 quid for the pair posted!!!

Bargain or what!!

grumm
    Free Member

Where’s that from? Is that new?

IanS
    Free Member

Liking Rubber Queens, after trying Panaracer Rampage. The 2.4s are big.

solamanda
    Free Member

Must be pretty aggressive all mountain if you’re running 729s, as they’re overkill for downhill. May I suggest Michelin Comp 32s.

ash

I thought they were more of a FlowCore tyre David? could be wrong.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Bontrager Big Earl wet, 2.35 Tubeless ready, abrasion resistant casing. Quite simply bombproof 😉

johni
    Free Member

I’m with Grumm

pimpmyride
    Free Member

yep brand new off ebay, couldn’t beleive my luck!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What tyres are best for freeride/agressive all mountain?’ is closed to new replies.