Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • what tyres for Cannock, in the wet ?
  • tobyho
    Free Member

this weekend ? We’re coming up from Essex for the day on Sunday. I think we’re all running Ralph’s at the mo.

What would you chaps recommend ?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

The bits that have been armoured with pebbles are slippy no matter what tires you have (unless your using super tacky’s or something). The rest is sand and drains well I dont see what wrong with the racing ralphs.

You see kids on BMXs going round the cannock trails so a long as your a half decent MTBer you should be fine on anything. If your planning on racing your mates or sommit again ralphs should be fine.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

nothing grips on the polished babies heads. nobby nics are the closest i’ve got

snakebite will be along in a minute to tell you that you can ride it on bare rims

rocketman
    Free Member

Best way to deal with the pebbles is to put some rubber down. 2.4 Nics most excellent, Maxxis Advantage also pretty good. Small, closely-placed tread blocks aka SB8s or Intense System 4 also very good on the pebbles but not so hot elsewhere.

Best to just MTFU (as they say) and ride round with what you’ve got otherwise you’ll need a tyre support truck

st

Yup, just ride whatever you have on for riding elsewhere. The main cannock clique ;o0 will swap tyres over twice a year, autumn into winter then winter into spring.

Probably like most riders out there ;o)

Apart from Scruff who changes tyres whenever the sun rises and Cakebite who rides whatever his bikes comes back from Swinnos fitted with.

z1ppy
    scruff
    Free Member

No I dont.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

one word, . . . . . permits.

Scamper
    Free Member

My nobby nics sliped around a lot last year on the wet cobbles. Mud x were far better.

XR4’s?

scruff
    Free Member

Its all about XR4’s.

Scamper
    Free Member

If you had one XR4 would you stick it on the front, Scruffster?

I presume they are also sticky on wet welsh rock and slate.

alexonabike

2.35 minions

scruff
    Free Member

Scampi, I have 3 XR4’s & I would put 2 on the front if I could. Anything sticks on welsh rock, but slate moves about so it needs glueing down really.

snakebite
    Free Member

XR4’s on the Sov and the Remedy. rim riding is something I leave to the clown folk.

scruff
    Free Member

You mean rimming Shirley ?

Vinnyc
    Free Member

I use Panaracer fire xc pro up the chase in the wet, tried many different tires but the Panaracers are by far the best

snakebite
    Free Member

rim riding is for groups of rimmers who ride together though.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Permits?

takisawa2

It had a layer of sandy grit last night, & was quite sketchy, so take care. I had a nasty off on SB8’s about 6weeks ago, so only run them on the rear. Ran a Bonty XCR on the 29er last night, but even that wasnt great. Back to good ol’ Nevegal on the front for me.

And, driving up from Essex to ride Cannock Chase… 😐

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘what tyres for Cannock, in the wet ?’ is closed to new replies.