Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What's the best article you've read in ST and why?
  • bullheart
    Free Member

Jenn Hopkins – The Great Divide.

I can read it again and again, and it never fails to mesmerise me…

tomaso
    Free Member

Having the brain of a goldfish I’ll say Right Here Right Now in last months ST. I liked the no frills straight to the point get out and do it attitude mixed up with a good dose of how good we’ve got it.

toys19
    Free Member

None, don’t buy it.

oldgit
    Free Member

I don’t get it, but often find one laying about.

I liked an article on DIY 12 hour rides, that was ages back. That ticked all the boxes for me, as I like stuff about UK riding. Things you can do with what you’ve got over the coming weekend.
    Can’t stand lots of reviews or tales about far off places, it’s like being told everything you own is rubbish, and you live in the wrong place anyway.

big_scot_nanny

Loved man and boy by Ed O a while back.

also really loved the one by the dad going out into the wilderness a bit with his kids/family. That was excellently written.

The Greg Herbold Italian racing write up was one of the funniest things I’ve read in ages!

Kev

wwaswas

The Rough Stuff Fellowship – gives me hope for the the future…

Harry_the_Spider

I used to like the Scenes and the £100 series.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Jenn Hopkins – The Great Divide.

I can read it again and again, and it never fails to mesmerise me…

Pretty much this. It’s the only article that has really transcended reportage.

yoshimi

I enjoyed that one about that Binners did about depression, losing his business and then getting his shizzle together and doing well in HTN

Luminous
    Free Member

Some of Chipps Editorials have been very good, imo.
    Stuff like when he forgot his camera, so just sat there for 1/4 of an hour to absorb the view.
    Theres been one or two others which have I found to be insightful into the condition of enjoying cycling and bikes.

Also, the feature where that guy, think he was out of the midlands.
    Where he left his ” going nowhere ” relationship.
    Sold up and drove to the Alps to ride and to press the reset button.

Life changing decisions, freedom, cycling. a good story.
    imo.

🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, that Jenn Hopkins one was very good – and actually it was also excellent in WMB and suprisingly completely different (not the actual event, the article!)

I liked the one years ago about a bunch of forumers going up north somewhere all kipping at someone’s house, riding a bit and drinking lots – Northumberfest? rings a bell

And the ‘bonking’ issue had a few that spring to mind.

crazy-legs

Article in the very first issue about a guy in the States who got done for speeding, lost his licence and had to do his entire job by bike for 3 months. Told in a kind of diary format. Beautifully written, very funny in places and also quite inspirational – just goes to show what you can do when you have to or when you put your mind to it.

clubber
    Free Member

Article in the very first issue about a guy in the States who got done for speeding, lost his licence and had to do his entire job by bike for 3 months

Oh yeah, that was a good one.

retro83
    Free Member

‘It’ll Go’ think it was by Matt. Just seemed to capture the atmosphere or trying out jumps, new lines etc and having a laugh on the bike.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I can’t read so I’ve never seen the point in buying it.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Loved man and boy by Ed O a while back.

also really loved the one by the dad going out into the wilderness a bit with his kids/family. That was excellently written

+1 (or +2 really)

I also liked the Iditarod one from a few years back. It really got the seriousness and difficulty of the event across.

I said in another thread somewhere, there are some great writers who contribute to ST. Unfortunately there are some not so great ones who tend to make up most of the pages these days. Not everyone can make a bike ride sound exciting or interesting.

nbt

Samuri’s columns. The one where the roadies formed an attack squadron was great, the one where his grazes were sticking to the bedsheets had Mrs NBT crying with laughter

Come back Samuri.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Tuesday night sock, or was it Monday night socks can’t quite remember, was a few years ago. Anyway, made me chuckle, made me want to go out and ride (with the author given the chance) and have re-read it a number of times since when looking for inspiration. You can’t want for more.

Last handful issues have been lacking in that sort of article.

mamadirt
    Free Member

WCA’s (Nick Nospokes) right bike/wrong bike piece from back in the day summed this forum’s (or maybe just my own 😳 ) bike-buying habits a treat.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There is a magazine?

NZCol

The bonk article was very very funny.

wallop

I think Jenn Hopkins is a great writer, I always keep an eye out for her work. She did a good write up of Mega last year.

Luminous
    Free Member

The bonk article was very very funny.

Yes. Think it was Chipps who described an episode where he rode straight into the catering tent, bought all he could with his emergency fiver and then proceeded to eat it but fell asleep.

I think I recall LMAO at the image of that.

ton

the one about the bloke who got banned for speeding.
    made a good read.
    and any about bivvies.

clubber
    Free Member

I think I enjoyed the first bivvy/bothy-type one but TBH after that I just found that they seemed very repetitive.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Jenn Hopkins does write some really good stuff, I really rate her work highly.

I enjoyed the piece about the nutjob who rode a Surly Pugsley across the Western Desert in Australia a few years back. It takes a lot to make sand and the occasional lizard sound interesting.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup another tick for the £100.00 “all in” series and again a tick for the “bonk” article.
    Some stuff written about Northern Spain was excellent (about a year or so ago) but I can’t for the life of me remember who wrote it..
    Anyone done an article of Florence of surrounding? I’ve only roadied over there but would love to “go offroad”

portlyone

Can I suggest that you add Issue Nos (where known) so I can go back and find them, ta.

binners

Thanks for that Yoshimi. Nice to know it was appreciated. Writing the article was cathartic for me. Like a weird form of therapy 🙂

I always enjoy Chipps editorials. They do what they’re meant to do. Stop me on the first page before i go on. Considering how easily distracted i am by shiny things, this is no mean feat.

Mikes articles are always great, but his first one was the best. About the differences between riding in the states compared to muddy night rides in Yorkshire. Funny and insightful

I remember Cresers article from a few years back about his eyesight. Very moving. I don’t know whether we’re all doomed or not still. Perhaps he could update us

chakaping
    Free Member

Jon’s feature about being a bike bum/guide was very engaging.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What's the best article you've read in ST and why?’ is closed to new replies.