Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Wheelbuilding bliss… :)
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm building a (Lovely) pair of wheels for someone. I laced them up at home last night and brought them and my jig into work today. I've got all day, between customers, to get them absolutely bang on. I've already decided this is going to be the best pair I've ever built and, so far, it's looking very good indeed.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mechaincal bliss…..

🙂

nicko74

Once you accept that it takes as long as it takes, it is genuinely cathartic. Best done with a nice pint of ale next to you, though…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They don't mind the wheelbuilding here, but I'd get sacked for drinking….

😉

Front is now within 0.5mm in every direction. I'm mulling over how much tension to put in them, Stans 355 rims shouldn't be built as tight as some, I'm told….

mike_p
    Free Member

Tension-wise, I reckon as much as you dare… just before you think the nipples will start to round off

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Depends who's riding them – If its for a racer then crank up the tension a bit more, if not then I find loosening the tension creates a bit of dampening.

I certainly agree though – nothing quite as relaxing as a whole evening with your mind lost in counting spoke key turns.

do you use a spoke tension meter by the way?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, I don't have a tension meter. I use my fingers…. I don't do enough wheels to warrant one, and I've heard they aren't much use anyway. No matter, this is as tight as a gnats chuff now, as tight as I dare on someone else's £70 rim, put it that way!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, they're 29er wheels as well

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry, £45 rim.

tinsy
    Free Member

mmmm, mine are on the verge of collapse, still not bad on 1 tension in 6 years running revolutions too, but I must remember to take them into the LBS…. I will never ever have the time to learn myself, BUT I am a bit jelous your enjoying yourself!

Did the scooter pass the MOT?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tinsy, well, I haven't heard otherwise form the seller!

clubber
    Free Member

Wheelbuilding's great. I used to do it p!ssed when I was a student after coming back from the pub – never seemed to cause any problems and I quite enjoyed the chilled out feeling of doing it 🙂

keavo
    Free Member

just done part1 (lacing up, first tension and de stress) of a build this morning while waiting for it to warm up outside. now going to have lunch followed by 2-3 riding on the moors in cloudless sunshine. magic.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Niiiiiiiice!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Can we have an update? What hubs are they on?

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I bet the hubs are some old hope pro 2s

thomthumb
    Free Member

building with quality components is very satisfying.

building with crap is like djing with boxing gloves on!!

Olly
    Free Member

niiiice.

a day of staring at holebase (a program) here and wondering how such an attrocity can be released as a "working product"
    its got more bugs than a dogs bed.

might buy myself some wheel building bits and play at wheel building some time, just because i can

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rich – Pro 2s, No Tubes ZTR355 rims, black DB spokes.

Seriously, lovely rims to wotk with, very easy to true up indeed, no creaking, got them nice and tight, all finished an on their way to the owner tomorrow. Very light too, IMO.

Update for Tinsy – Scooter passed MOT easily. :o)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We have som digital scales here too – Front is 829g, rear 951g. Remember these are 29er wheels. So that's light!

nonk
    Free Member

man of your calibre dunt need a tension meter anyroad.
    once your good at it its got nowt to offer.

markenduro
    Free Member

Careful with the tension on satans rims, they do crack around the spoke holes…

saladdodger
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    I'm building a (Lovely) pair of wheels for someone

Typical put someone else before you

yer soft sod 😉

ajantom

Building wheels is very, very satisfying 😀 I went for a blast on the CX bike round the Haldon Red run this evening on a front wheel I built up last night. All still true after a good battering!

I really enjoy building wheels from recycled components – I know some people think you shouldn't re-use rims, spokes and nipples – but I've been doing it for personal use for years.
    My LBS lets me have a rummage in their throwaway pile, so this wheel was made from a lovely Suntour XC Pro front hub (cartridge bearings still running smoothly after probably 15+ years), a DT Swiss RR1.1 rim that was straight, but had a tiny flat on it (straightened that with a vice and adjustable spanner), and some DB spokes & nipples from a decentish no name wheel. 3 cross pattern for a nice strong build, and trued it up in the forks using the brakes and an allen key taped on as a guide. Lovely (and free 😉 )

Keef
    Free Member

Agree,Stans rims are much nicer to build than others,don't know why,they just feel nicer…….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Agree,Stans rims are much nicer to build than others,don't know why,they just feel nicer…….

Yeah, why is that? I've built a few Mavics, a couple of DTs, a Sun SOS, but the Stans rim just trued up very easily, the slightest tweak of a nipple (ooo-errr-missis!) made a difference. Odd.

clubber
    Free Member

Maybe they're not very stiff laterally (or in torsion). That'd certainly explain it.

Stiff rims are certainly harder to true.

KonaTC

As a have stumbled on a thread with experienced wheel builders, can I ask a question.

I have a pair of 4 year old FSA XC-300 wheels and last weekend a managed to break a spoke nipple, the threaded section is ok but the top part which holds the rim in place sheared off (the part that looks like the top of a mushroom has sheared off), is it ok just to replace the one nipple; or should I have all of the nipples replaced as a precaution on the premise that if one has failed the others will be stressed similarly

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just replace the nipple, it should be OK. Although it will have knocked the wheel out of true as well, so if you don't know how to true wheels, it's LBS time really to get it sorted. it's not just a matter of tightening it up….

I'll bet you've got a riding mate that can do it for you in about 5 mins though… 🙂

KonaTC

PeterPoddy

Thanks for the confirmation that I can replace just the sheared nipple, as for the wheel running out of true, I have had a little tuition on truing wheels so should be able to get it close.

Although this could be the excuse to get some new wheels, been thinking of some Hope Pro 2 on 355 rims

Ops: just spotted you are building the same set of wheels so I will take that as a sign of approval

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

THis may give me motivation, I need to build 2 sets of weeels up, well one full set and true up and a few spokes to replace on another. You have to be in the zone though to be arsed doing it I find. I have been looking at them for over 2 month lol

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Wheelbuilding bliss… :)’ is closed to new replies.