Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Wheelbuilding: Spot the mistake…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Oops. Been nearly 18 months since I last built a wheel. I blame Columbian quantities of Lemsip for the mistake late last night.

Anyway, anyone else done this and ridden with it? Ostrich strewn burning death or riding into the sunset?

grum
    Free Member

Spot the mistake…

It’s a 29er wheel? 😛

crispedwheel
    Free Member

You’ve had a shocker there. No knowledge of how it would ride – give it a go and report back?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

errmmm – I don’t know if its really weaker but I would want to redo it

Rorschach
    Free Member

Sort it out!

Stoner
    Free Member

Dont like you lot much. Where’s Al and his spirit of adventure when you need it.

billysugger
    Free Member

It looks like you should have gone under in all the places you’ve gone over too

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive gone under; over; under when I should have gone under; under; over.

billysugger
    Free Member

In fact it’s just all wrong.

Give it a go.

wwaswas

I read that the UCI were banning 4X.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Can you see the logo on the hub if you look straight through the valve hole?

billysugger
    Free Member

It might be like an extra dimension of steeringness

uplink
    Free Member

Is that a reef knot you’ve attempted there?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Those crazy snowflake patterns had more severe looking bends in the spokes, and we still rode them.

Did it creak more than you expect to when you tensioned it?

Still, if it was me i would be re-doing it. (With a different hub. I love shimano cup and cone hubs and have a couple that have been going on for evcer, but the two shimano 20mm ones I had were a devil to keep running even with the expensive spanner, and went through bearings like no-ones business.

scruff
    Free Member

29er wheel

+1

clubber
    Free Member

I’ll bet it’ll be just fine. Might creak a bit but I doubt it’ll break.

How come 2 cross though?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Original at any rate 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

“How come 2 cross though? “

its 3 cross

messiah
    Free Member

It’ll be fine and won’t make a single bit of difference… it’s wheel building not rocket science, and as mentioned above snowflaked wheels hold up fine and they have damn daft bent and twisted spokes. Chalk it up to experience and don’t do it again.

See how long it takes for anyone on the trails to notice… I suspect nobody ever will.

Stoner
    Free Member

Can you see the logo on the hub if you look straight through the valve hole?

I was tripping on phenylephrine but still managed to get the logo lined up with the valve hole. *blows smoke from finger gun*

clubber
    Free Member

er.. oh yeah, eyes getting a bit confused…

pjt201
    Free Member

I did that once, rebuilt the wheel though but only as it offended my sensibilities rather than worrying about how strong it is.

I’m more concerned about my rear wheel which is about 10mm out of dish at the moment though. doesn’t foul the frame so haven’t done anything yet…

Stoner – Member
    I was tripping on phenylephrine but still managed to get the logo lined up with the valve hole. *blows smoke from finger gun*

Really? I would have assumed that the valve hole is opposite the rim sticker, in which case it doesn’t look that lined up to me.

Stoner
    Free Member

but the two shimano 20mm ones I had were a devil to keep running even with the expensive spanner, and went through bearings like no-ones business.

oooh really?
    Its been sitting on my desk for over a year. Its to go on my extremely occasional bike so probably be ok. I just got the mega spanner delivered from CRC this morning, hence the build. I stripped the hub and repacked with marine grease and backed it off a smidge as it was far too tight.

WIll see how it lasts. Its really is just a spare 20mm, as I want my Gordo rim on the switchable hub back as a QR to go in the monstercross and this one can go in the rebas.

Stoner
    Free Member

Really? I would have assumed that the valve hole is opposite the rim sticker, in which case it doesn’t look that lined up to me.

two sets of rims stickers oppose each other and another little sticker opposes the valve hole.

chakaping
    Free Member

I rode one like that for a couple of months.

Took it into bike shop for something else and the owner laughed and asked who’d built the wheel.

He stopped laughing when I told him his shop had.

🙂

(still alive btw)

Stoner
    Free Member

😆

I couldnt face the shame of being laughed at 🙁

andyl
    Free Member

Never built a wheel so don’t know but is it because you have the spokes that are on the outside of the hub flange going immediately under the spokes that are off the inside of the hub flange and thus putting more wavyness in them?

donsimon
    Free Member

There’s a mistake? 😳

Stoner
    Free Member

yep. proper noodly looking.

mangoridebike

re the hub

I’ve had one of those on my main bike (ridden at least once a week) for over 3 years with no problems what so ever.

Re the wheel, i reckon it will be fine and would probably ride it with no concerns

toys19
    Free Member

Some people build wheels like that on purpose, in theory they are stiffer as the friction between the spokes is greater – akin to wiring or soldering the spokes. I wouldn’t worry about it. I built my last DH wheel like that on purpose to see how it would go, its lasted 10 days in morzine, and 4 other dh uplift days with my heft lending clumsily on it.

69er
    Free Member

It’s not right, so just take it apart and put it back together again. That’s the price of gaining ‘experience’ 😉 !

thomthumb
    Free Member

its lasted 10 days in morzine, and 4 other dh uplift days with my heft lending clumsily on it.

so far or entirety?

Stoner
    Free Member

thats some comfort then toys. ta.

Cant be arsed to rebuild it anyway.

toys19
    Free Member

so far or entirety?

😀
    so far, has not failed, looks and feels fine.

kaesae
    Free Member

Give it a go, I reckon you’ve already decided too! also film it just incase it’s funny 😀

dday

I’m impressed you managed to true the wheel with all that spoke bending! Does the back wheel look the same? Please say no!

johnners
    Free Member

I’m surprised the spokes were long enough to get the nipples onto once you got about half-way round lacing it, what with the extra bending and all.

Now you’ve built it I can’t see why there’d be a problem with it on the trail, I’d certainly give it a go if I’d done it.

schmiken

I’d unlace it and build it properly.

dday

+ 1 schmiken.

Its not right, and with added disk brake forces, you would spend your ride constantly worrying about the potential ‘Ostrich strewn burning death’

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Wheelbuilding: Spot the mistake…’ is closed to new replies.