Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Where. Is. That. Cracking. Coming. From?!?!?!?!
  • big_scot_nanny

Right, help really needed, trying to identify a terrible cracking/clonking from my drivetrain. Not an unusual question I know, but looking for input. Please!

OK, symptom is a very loud crack/ping/clonk type noise from the drivetrain when under load on each downstroke. You can really feel it through the pedals as well as hear it.

Will a borked rear hub cause this noise? I have tried a ton of other stuff (see below), but it is getting worse and I don't want to ride hours into the wilds only for something significant to fail.

When I turn the axle by hand it does not turn smoothly, but feels 'indexed', kind of a 'dit-dit-dit-dit' feeling, as if bearings are pitted. This is not normal right? There is also a tiny bit of play.

This is driving me insane, been on park tools and searched anything I can, but cannot find the cause leading me to believe it is the rear hub.

Riding a Chumba HX2 29er, built by me, on Halo Freedom Disk wheels. Frame sound. Have a ton of spares from past bikes kicking about so have tried to eliminate everything!

First thought it was bad indexing on rear deraileur, it isn't. Nothing skipping and changes etc smooth and lovely.

Thought chain – now replaced

Cassette – now replaced

Chainrings – whole crankset replaced

Pedals – as above

bottom bracket – as above

rear QR greased – no change

Chumba does have an EBB, but it is nicely seated, greased and holding firm.

When I stand beside the bike and push down on one side with pedal at bottom of stroke to flex frame, there is nothing to hear or feel, only when turning pedals under load. Pretty sure it is not the BB/EBB or frame.

So, now I have ruled all that out, is it likely to be the rear hub that is borked (and clearly getting worse) and causing these symptoms?

Help!

Kev

foureyes
    Free Member

hmm id suspect the EBB still, hard to tell if it is or isn't the issue though. cassette not tightened enough (nor was the first?) but the rear axle doesn't sound healthy either. id check cassette lockring tightness then take a closer look at the hub for sure.

ton

could be the hairline crack in the lefthand chainstay, where it meets the bb……………

foureyes
    Free Member

actually, i have a cracking sound in my 2006 Reign when im really pedalling hard. i think its the carbon shock cover plate which has split after one too many impacts. not that that helps you Kev. but its good to get it off my chest.

'Hi, I'm Adam, and my bike is 4 years old this week.'

god that feels better 🙂

big_scot_nanny

ton, you are taking the piss, yes? Just checking. 😯

Foureyes, for first post – thanks, will check again. For second post – glad to be of service! 😆

Anyone else? Hub likely cause?

Kev

ton

😉 😆 yeah

could be the seat collar resonating down the frame.
    most alloy frames do this to me, cos i and a bit big, like you…… 8)

big_scot_nanny

Big ****! 😉 Thought about that, but it also happens out the saddle so pretty much rules it out.

More help please!

Kev

mtbmaff
    Free Member

I'd put money on the bottom bracket.

ton

ebb never creaked when i rode it, and i am a proper pedal stomper.

big_scot_nanny

mtbmaff, aye, I thought so too, but replaced and the problem is exactly the same.

Ton, aye, reckon EBB fine as it is all tickety boo and presents no issues.

But what the **** else can it be?

Kev

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

if you think its the rear hub can you not stick another wheel in to test? or put that wheel in another bike and see if it does the same?
    or am i just being stupid? 😯

big_scot_nanny

Ooh, hadn't thought of that, only got one set of 29er wheels though. However mate has a big boy bike also so will go and borrow a wheel. Nice shout.

Kev

dano
    Free Member

have you taken out the ebb, re greased and refitted and torqued?
    i had this once and it turned out to be my headset and saddle…although it wasn't as loud as yours…

willej

When I turn the axle by hand it does not turn smoothly, but feels 'indexed', kind of a 'dit-dit-dit-dit' feeling, as if bearings are pitted. This is not normal right? There is also a tiny bit of play.

No it's not normal. The bearings grinding together or clicking into pits in the races could be amplified by the frame and make a cracking sound. Have you tried a different wheel?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Can I say "rear mech hanger bolt"?

I keep trying it and one day I'll be right!

big_scot_nanny

Dano, aye, EBB refitted and smoth and lovely. Checked headset and it is OK, but hadn't thought of that till now!

Willie, that is only test that will confirm, and will indeed try that ASAP. It does not feel right.

whisperer, I will check and report back!

Kev

foureyes
    Free Member

have you got a 26er rear you can try? in a pickle would that do to stomp up and down the road?

big_scot_nanny

Well, to the logical willej who said 'swap out the wheel', and to foureyes who suggested bunging a wee wheel in resulted in the following:

Nicely niche!

And do you know what? Noise was gone. Definitely hub, taking it to LBS tomorrow as this is outside my experience. Now thinking back on it, this has been going on for a long time and progressively getting worse. What would cause it? Would there have been a little bit of play at the begining that has slowly wrecked the hub?

Anyway, cheers all very much indeed for helping! 🙂

Kev

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

I was gonna say.. sounds like a knack'ed freehub body

bigsi
    Free Member

Would def say its the freehub body. I have some Halo Freedoms on my 29er and managed to **** the hub within 6 mths and it sounded similar to what yours was/is doing.

Just get a ProII laced to it and you'll be fine 😉

big_scot_nanny

Crucially, does a Hope proII come in white? We all know white hubs are stronger and go faster uphill. 🙂

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Is it my imagination or are the forks on that Chumba fitting on backwards?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Really enjoyed reading this. Like a good murder mystery!

bigsi
    Free Member

big_scot_nanny – Member
    Crucially, does a Hope proII come in white? We all know white hubs are stronger and go faster uphill.

🙄

Red is the fastest colour FACT 😉

13thfloormonk

Ahhh… the first ride on a decreaked bike.

Almost worth having the creak in the first place just for that feeling.

willej

Glad to be of service :o)

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

big_scot_nanny – Member
    Well, to the logical willej who said 'swap out the wheel'

I said it first 😉

glad you worked out where its coming from, and at least you were right about it!

different sized wheels is the way forward!

big_scot_nanny

Sorry! Becky you were indeed the first common sense poster, hugely appreciated! on way to LBS now. 🙂

andy7t2
    Free Member

mine did this turned out to be a loose rear mech hanger. After hours of tearing the bike apart and replacing the BB it only took a few turns of the allen key and job done.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Is it my imagination or are the forks on that Chumba fitting on backwards?

A a manitou fork. They have reverse arches.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Brake caliper in the correct place fork on correctly.

MadBillMcMad

had a similar haunting noise from my orange 5.
    Could not track it down but could feel it in the frame – gave me nightmares.

did the BB, ring bolts, bushings on the shock etc….

Solved it in the end by tightening up the little ditty screw that holds the dust cups over the swingarm bearings. They came loose again and the cracking came back.

I slapped some grease in there for good measure the next time and put some threadlock on the threads. Not heard a dicky bird since.

Good luck with yours

big_scot_nanny

Well, it was indeed the freehub body. Bigsi, did you do anything in particular to your hub to cause it to go? This one only lasted 4 months! I've had a stock hubs on my stumpy fsr for 2.5 years with no complaints. Odd. 🙁

Anyway, as you suggested, my lovely LBS laced the rim to a lovely Pro II, in gold! Looks f**king hideous, and doesn't even slightly go with the rest of the bike, but what the hell. 🙂

Also took the opporunity to get rid of 1×9 (stupid idea!) 😳 and go back to 27 gears, and also to fit a pair of maxle Reba Teams in place of the manitous. 8)

Out for a 3 hour ride last night straight from the LBS after work. silent bike, hot forests, dry trails, good company, beer in big beer garden with biking mates as a reward at the end, bloody lovely!

Cheers all,

Kev

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Where. Is. That. Cracking. Coming. From?!?!?!?!’ is closed to new replies.