Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • which htc desire apps
  • sofaking
    Free Member

Can you recommend me some apps for my new time wasting device please ?

stumpy01

Googly Sky Maps
    My Tracks
    Layar
    Abduction
    Bubble

I'm trying to keep my phone fairly app-free but not going a very good job.

funkynick

Dolphin HD for the web browser… it's a lot better than the standard one.
    Astro File manager
    Advanced Task Killer
    SwiFTP to allow your phone to act as a wifi FTP server

glenh
    Free Member

last.fm
    national rail
    cab4me
    dropbox
    androzip
    wireless tether (unless you are on android 2.2)

btw funkynick, the only the task killer does is kill your battery.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

If you have a little one – Toddler Lock. Disables all the buttons and keeps them happy for ages!

There's a cool (and free) boxing game too!

Compass is also very good.

DrJ

Advanced Task Killer

heh heh

funkynick

glanh… I turn off the widget so don't have it running as a continuous process, then just run it when I need to free up some memory.

Call confirm is quite handy if you keep managing to accidently make calls…
    Beebplayer is good… if you can find it as it looks like it has been removed from the Market.

glenh
    Free Member

Why would you need to free up memory? Android has a memory clean up service to do that for you.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

For most people, I think task killers are about saving battery not memory.

I'm still undecided. I've yet to see any compelling evidence either way.

funkynick

It just seems that the phone gets slower when there are more processes open and less memory available. I know it shouldn't make a great deal of difference, but I find that killing the unused processes does speed the phone up, quite a lot at times.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Glenh

Care to add your thoughts on why you don't need a task killer?

sparky6911
    Free Member

Run Keeper, it is great for tracking your routes and links with google maps. Gives you distance, height lost and gained. I use it every time I go out.

Google Navigation
    PKT Auction for ebay
    Paper Toss

Thats my lot for must haves

glenh
    Free Member

A task killer won't do any harm if you are using it manually, but you shouldn't need to since android kills processes automatically if memory is needed. Of course this does take a small amount of time and may be experienced as slightly slower response times, however, it shouldn't happen very often (although it probably happens a bit too often on the desire since a lot of memory is taken up by the HTC sense crap).

If you are using a task killer to kill automatically, then it will impact negatively on your battery life. When android threads are sleeping (i.e. when you aren't using them and they aren't auto-updating) they use no resources. This means when the screen is off the processor is also sleeping and using minimal power.
    If a task killer is running, it will be waking the processor regularly (thus using power) to check for and kill threads that aren't using any power.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘which htc desire apps’ is closed to new replies.