Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Which singlespeed road bike that doesn't look totally jolly?!
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Looking for a new singlespeed roadbike to replace my old 2007 Langster, that was stolen a few weeks ago 😥

The Langster was a bit cheaply built (most of it had been upgraded by the time it was nicked) and pretty impractical, but I loved it…

Now all the singlespeeds seem to be uber trendy, with stupid ‘old skool’ geometry and crazy purple wheels, etc!

Are there any out there that actually ride well, rather than just trying to look cool? Such a shame they’ve made the 2011 Langster fixie only (i.e. they’ve just taken the brakes off and added £50 to the price!)

Can anyone recommend a ss that has an alu frame, carbon fork and decent geometry? Please!

transporter13
    Free Member

Which singlespeed road bike that doesn’t look totally gay?!

is there one? 🙂

TiRed

The 2011 Kona Paddy Wagon has abandoned the uber cool and gone for understated. Sealed hubs, mounts for rack and guards, 28mm tyres and good clearance under the brakes make it a more practical prospect than your Langster. Steel frame, though so not quite what you are after.

I suspect that the crazy colours did not sell well, judging by the number on ebay.

wwaswas

not sure if the OP or the mods did the edit on the title but – well done…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Paddy Wagon from a couple of years back? Subtle colours and bombproof – if a bit heavy.

julianwilson
    Free Member

This is not alu/carbon but nicely not-garish and outrageously good value.
    SS pompino full bike for £400

[edit] oh i see there is a glow in the dark option as well as normal persons’ paint jobs.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Yeah, Paddy Wagon does look really good, but it’s just the weight that puts me off!

What do you think of the Trek 2nd District?

I hate to admit it, but I kind of like it, but think I’ll probably look a bit of an idiot riding it… I don’t know whether being a 5’3″ woman makes me more or less likely to get away with it?!!

ericemel
    Free Member

Pearson Hanzo?

Felt Dispatch

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Felt dispatch looks quite good, thanks…

JulianWilson – does look pretty good value, but isn’t it fixie only?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Such a shame they’ve made the 2011 Langster fixie only

42:16 freewheel and it comes with brakes. just not shown in photo.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

thomthumb – really? Oh you’re right, I’ve just checked the spec online. In that case, a Langster is back in the running… 🙂 Thanks mate!

trickydisco
    Free Member

I love the look of the genesis flyer

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/flyer/flyer

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Geometry’s a little old skool for my liking Trickydisco. Have to admit, it is a lot classier looking than most around though.

epicyclo

I like the Day One – other colour options available, plus flat bars.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

The Trek will feel most like a “normal” road bike since it’s basically a 2 series frame with different dropouts.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I was going to suggest the SE Bikes Lager ——- until I saw this years colour scheme (below). If you can find one of last year’s black and white ones you might like it.

EDIT just found that they do an all white version too.

Also try Traitor Bikes

drofluf
    Free Member

SE Lager’s a great bike – I’ve one (albeit badged as a Dawes 🙄 but same frame and components). It’s mainly my winter commuter but I did my first (and only!) century on it.

binners

There was an article in yesterdays Observer on christmas gift ideas. In there was a page titled ‘for the stylish cyclist’

It should actually have been titled ‘for the insecure, posturing bell-end with more money than sense, who has taken an inexplicable yet fleating interest in stupidly overpriced bicycles’

It featured one of these

The price was eye-watering. And why not get one of these to go with it?

http://www.14bikeco.com/blog/art/2010/10/multi-stripe-helmet-by-paul-smith/

TiRed

What do you think of the Trek 2nd District?

Looks nice, but if this is for winter, how well can it take guards? Black is always easy to touch up. I think the Pompino looks great value, the kona a bit less utilitarian and I’ll bet a little lighter. Had a great review in Cycling Weekly.

A small frame will save a few grams, and steel is a nice (if a touch heavy) material. Either will feel less perky than your Langster, but that was on 23/25mm tires.

I also like the Day One, but a lot more money. Personally, I’d get the Kona, or go titanium 🙄

DaRC_L

Surley CrossCheck and build it up yourself?

Bumhands
    Free Member

Been getting on well with this Wilier Pista. Stealthy minimal graphics are sprayed as a masked
    layer onto the frame. Very light, stiff and fast.

Steerer cut and shorter horizontal stem fitted since this was taken:

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Pearson Touche

I know these were designed to address the Langster’s shortfalls, ie they have space for mudguards etc.

I loved mine when I commuted, they have proper road angles and look normal, not like some shoreditch art student has gone crazy with the trust fund. Pretty light frame and forks too.

Goz
    Free Member

Ive got one the 70’s wallpaper bikes AKA as the Trek 2nd district for riding to and from work….its different…so people tell me, but then im a little odd!….so it suits me.
    I dumped the chainguard, stuck some SKS guards on, put my saddle of choice on and changed the brake levers to Sram Force.
    Im 5.9 and ride a 54cm which is spot on, it rides well is reasonably light…

Haze

Those Touche’s are nice.

If I had a bit more spare cash and hadn’t bought a Plug a couple of years back, I’d be going for the Colnago Pista…

(as long as it took a front brake)

nedrapier

Saw a Trek Triton in a shop windee at the weekend. Looked quite nice. Not too jolly, not too sombre. £600

Haze

Or a little cheaper, with mounts etc…

Colnago Sprint

Dammit, I think I’m trying to justify it to myself…Summer commuter?!

unovolo
    Free Member

What about a “Masi Uno Drop”

Only problem is finding someone who stocks them.

MASI

sockpuppet

another vote for the pearson – good reviews from my roadie club

Digger90
    Free Member

WTF? You’re not allowed to say “Gay” anymore?

Guess it’ll have to be “Jolly Pride Week” and the “Jolly & Lesbian Times” now then…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

alu frame
    carbon fork
    normal geometry

Mush
    Free Member

If your last bike was stolen, how keen are you on buying a new one to replace it?

Why not another, potentially used, langster? I picked one up on gumtree for £70 a couple of months ago and I’ve commuted on it most days since. It’s my first singlespeed, but I love it. Light, pretty rapid and I don’t have to worry too much about where I lock it up.

I must admit though, I did cast a few envious glances at a pearson touche with full guards and a rack parked up next to mine in the work bike-shed today.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Saw one of these in my LBS……v nice Trek District Carbon

julianwilson
    Free Member

mountainmonkey, the deal on the pompino has a couple of bar options and can be either fixed or freewheel. (presumably not a flipflop hub then).

I like the look of that Trek Triton up there ^ too.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys – there are actually quite a few out there after all. Only problem is finding them in stock and in my (tiny) size!

Mush – would love to buy secondhand (you may have noticed a couple of ads in classifieds), but because I need such a small size I’m not that likely to find one – otherwise I definitely would. To be fair though, it was our garage that was broken into and all our bikes nicked so the theft thing isn’t as much as an issue as money…

So, shortlist time!

New Langster – apparently does have brakes, so great fun little bike but a bit pricey for the quality of build but it is a known quantity. (If anyone can find an old model cheap (49cm), please let me know!)

Trek 2nd district – bit more practical and hopefully not too much
    heavier???

Felt Dispatch – looks v similar to Langster, but can’t find one anywhere in my size 🙁

SE Lager – It’s supposed to be light even though steel (I’m not totally convined, not sure about geometry either), but it is only £375 in black in my size!

Have pretty much discounted:

Pearson Touche – looks really nice but a bit too serious and expensive for me (I only want a dash about bike, not a 20 mile commute everyday bike)

Trek Triton – price and it’s still steel (though does look nice)

Wilier Pista – price (but looks lovely!)

Pompino – doesn’t really do it for me, but is obviously good value

Boardman – too big even in small

Genesis – all too big even in small (I think)

Kona Paddy Wagon – looks pretty heavy, but am a little tempted by reduced prices around…

Think that’s it!

Cast your votes?!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Either the Trek because it’s practical and looks a bit girlie or the Lager because it looks clean and uncluttered.

finbar
    Free Member

How can you ask for a bike that doesn’t look jolly, and then put that Trek in the shortlist? It’s the jolliest thing i ever saw.

wwaswas

jolly enough for you Juliet 🙂

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Lol at Finbar! That’s actually pretty fair I guess! I don’t know, I started out thinking it was jolly looking, but now I kinda like it?!

Thanks balanced – a v um, balanced opinion!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Lol wwaswas 😆 Now we’re talking! (To be fair, I don’t think anyone would nick it!)

mogrim

What about a “Masi Uno Drop”

That’s one of the ugliest bikes I’ve seen in a long while!

Edit: no possibly about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Which singlespeed road bike that doesn't look totally jolly?!’ is closed to new replies.