Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Whinlatter conditions
  • willv

Heading to keswick tmrw shopping with the family and have a pass to ride if conditions are ok. Anyone know how whinlatter is at the moment?
    Ta
    Will

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Theres lots of snow and ice up here at the moment,the blue could be safer or the forest tracks around the forest could be ok

grumm
    Free Member

May be better now but I was up in Staveley a couple of days ago and only the main roads were clear of snow. Most of the major road passes in the Lakes are still closed I think – not seen anything about Whinlatter pass but I imagine the road up there could be 'interesting'.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I'm planning to be up there tomorrow. Can imagine the road up to the visitor centre might be a bit icey in spots, trails may be interesting in places too. Be right, any excuse to get out 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah, I'd probably park at the bottom of the hill and ride up anyway, then you can do the seldom seen descent at the end of the day.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

Be a good warm-up that! I once rode back up at the end of a ride, was a killer. Not rode the downhill down to the bottom, sounds interesting.

If you see someone struggling around on a Coiler, that'll be me. Think we'll be there at 9.30.

rich-6
    Free Member

You're brave i'l give you that, Last time i was up there after a downpour it was slippy as hell, Wouldnt fancy it in the ICE spesh alongside the open sections 😮

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I'll no doubt post a picture up of me with broken limbs! It'll be right!

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

Just incase anyone is planning a trip up on to Whinlatter (Cumbria) in the next couple of days, might be worth giving it a miss. There is 6" of snow up there at the moment, and the conditions make even driving up to the visitor centre difficult.

I was up there for an hour today and made little progress. Got some impressive pictures though! Will post pics later 🙂

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Anyone know what its like now?

Is it easy to navigate round any sections that are closed off, or is it more faff than its worth?

boxelder

Is it easy to navigate round any sections that are closed off,

It is easy – you can just use fire roads, but the sections that are closed (all of the north loop and the upper section of the south) account for about 70% of the red grade trail. There's no point in navigating around it, as there's nothing to reach – it's not a section here and a section there that's shut, if you know what I mean. With the blue and lower sections of the south loop, there's an hours leisurely paced riding.
    There are other trails there, but unless you've already worked that out by using a map, you won't find them.
    Do the Borrowdale Bash or some riding around Skiddaw, or 20 mins south is Grasmere, from where you can access a wealth of excellent rideable trails e.g this month's mbr route

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter conditions’ is closed to new replies.