Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 234 total)
  • "Winchester" area ride – Saturday 8th May. May/may not include bluebells!
  • cinnamon_girl

Following on from a recent thread, it's now a goer. 🙂

Not sure of exact starting place but could be Farley Mount Country Park, Wherwell, New Alresford etc. All within a 10 mile radius of Venta Belgarum.

Probably around 20 miles of glorious downland (all legal naturally) and I'm sure a pub stop can be arranged! Picnics will definitely be the order of the day cos Hampshire doesn't welcome rifraff 🙄

So … who's in?

Anna-B
    Free Member

Venta Belgarum

CG you just made that place up!

glorious downland

does that mean it always goes downhill? Am definitely coming along!

cinnamon_girl

Anna – I'm useless on Roman history but that is marked on the map. Am quite good at waffling on about local history and rubbish, as you well know! Undulating means downland. 😉

Hope you can make it. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

put me down as a possible, gotta sort my dates

cinnamon_girl

Hey rOcKeTdOg, hope you can make it. 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

I'm free (at the moment) so could be coming along for my first STW meet (pls be nice!).

Frizzer
    Free Member

I like the sound of this so may well pop along for my first meet as well!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Yip yip! I'll be there.

What lemonade for a chalky downlands Pimms?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

It would be rude for me not to come along as it's local. 😆

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

'Hampshire doesn't welcome riffraff' too right, it's so fussy that i had to leave. If i can sneak back over the border then i'll be there.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Balls. Im working this weekend (1st in 3 years!!) also i dont have a bike here in southampton!!

Seggons
    Free Member

a possible .. hope I can keep up haha 😐

soma_rich
    Free Member

hmm I now have the front half of a bike so I might have the second half in time for this. That will be my Bday weekend too so I can bring cake and Pringles 8oD

pedalhead
    Free Member

I'll check for permissions/plans & hope to be there!

poppa
    Free Member

Not sure if I can make it, but I might be able to pass on some local information. Crab Wood had an amazing display of bluebells last year, but bikes are not allowed (officially). Probably best not to have large groups riding through there 🙁

knottie8
    Free Member

Sounds like a lovely ride but im still banned from the bike by the Doc.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Will it be a rideable distance form the station for the car-less ???

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

If we're meeting at Farley Mount or Alresford then it wouldn't be a problem for me to give you a lift there. 😀
    Where are you coming from?

rOcKeTdOg

Sounds like a lovely ride but im still banned from the bike by the Doc.

blimey that's awful, what have you got/done??

Lifer
    Free Member

Hopefully have a car by then and think it's about time I rode with people!

tootallpaul

Elaine…

I will try to be there! I'm back in the UK on the 4th of May for a week, and a blubell (maybe) ride would be cracking.

Not sure how bike fit I will be- I'm riding everyday here, but no great distance…

Hope to see you then!

P

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Which direction are you coming from hilldodger, if you're between Winchester and Bournemouth i might be able to give you a lift.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

[hijack] RT – Ref. your email, It's probably too much too soon, although would love to go. 😥 [hijack over]

poppa
    Free Member

If you want it to be rideable from Winchester station the two obvious start-points would be Farley Mount/West-Wood or Cheesefoot head. Both have car-parks and both are about 4 miles from the station but hey, at least you'll have an excuse if you're slower than everyone else!

Wherwell looks rideable from Andover, but i'm not so familiar with that area.

Winchester to Farley Mount

Winchester to Cheesefoot Head

Slow work day. 😳 Warning: May contain traces of hills.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Wherwell looks rideable from Andover, but i'm not so familiar with that area

It's very rideable, about 4ish miles cross country and flat. But there is no parking unless we take over the only pub in the village!!
    Chilbolton would be a better option.
    I've done a night ride which starts at the Park & Ride in Winchester which takes us up St Catherine's Hill over to Cheesefoot Head. Uphill most of the way though.

Maybe start in Kingsworthy? We could possibly use the King Charles car park if we promise to spend money their after. They would probably be glad of the custom. Was in their last Saturday and it was dead.
    I'm sure C_g will come up with the perfect start point and route though.

C_G, if you recce a ride and would like some company then let me know, always a pleasure riding with you.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Is there any parking at the cricket club in Wherwell MM? Haven't been there since playing table tennis there 20 years ago.

On a bike related point, i watched the tour de france in Wherwell when it came through in the 90s. Just up the hill and round the corner from the pub.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Is there any parking at the cricket club in Wherwell MM? Haven't been there since playing table tennis there 20 years ago.

Yes, but on a Saturday there will be a Cricket Match and they won't be best pleased when we get back havng taken all their spaces in the carpark.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Is that who you play for?

hilldodger
    Free Member

rusty trowel – Member
    Which direction are you coming from hilldodger, if you're between Winchester and Bournemouth i might be able to give you a lift.

Thanks, but I'll be coming from Surrey – sure I can ride from station to most of the places mentioned 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Is that who you play for?

No. We won't be going anywhere near my club that day.
    Thankfully I always have alot of college work to do on the day of forum rides, so I can't play. 😉

singletrackmind

Abbotsdown Car Park is an option ,not huge but free to park. Micheldever train Station is pay and display , and handy for those coming on the train. Inpromptu brewery tour for afters is an option , if we are still open. See how it goes in the meantime.
    CG if you want some company to do some exploring let me know as its all a few miles from work.

Rob

Android
    Free Member

I'd suggest meeting at the St Catherines Park and Ride in Winchester, it's only £2.70 for the day, is easy to find, easy to get to from the station and probably more secure than leaving a car in a country car park. There's a good pub (the Queens head) near by with a large garden where you can stash the bikes, does good food and they're not averse to muddy mountain bikers.
    From the car park you can go straight out round St Cathines hill, over the gallops to Cheesefoot head. Then make up your mind whether to go left or right, we go all the way round (46ish miles) with only a few on road in the summer. Probably a bit heavy going until the mud dries up! but there are plenty of routes back into town for people on tight timeframes or if your just knackered.

andrewy

I'd like to come too, another first timer. Looking foward to it already 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Everyone – thanks for all the replies, didn't expect this much interest. 😀 For those who haven't been on a Forum Ride, this is the perfect introduction and it will be good to meet new faces.

Thanks also for suggestions of starting points

TooTallPaul – I do hope you can make it, have been enjoying your blog but it will be nice to hear more tales. Get that Ro to come along, he's always on holiday when I invite him! Keep in touch, not sure whether you will have a car but could always pick you up from Farnborough Station if that's any good?

Singletrackmind and Mulletus – will e-mail you both.

rOcKeTdOg

Knottie,you'll be ok for May though surely? or ride one handed?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

There's a good pub (the Queens head) near by with a large garden where you can stash the bikes

The Black Boy surely?? 😉

singletrackmind

Soma-Rich. I have a spare bike thats right up your street you may borrow.
    GT Zaskar SS 32:17 17" frame, currently equiped with CB Candy C's so maybe bring your own pedals? Let me know nearer the time if you need it.

Android
    Free Member

Black Boy is cool, but on street parking for the bikes, and you can't see them that well. Just thought Queens was more secure.

cinnamon_girl

I've just plotted a terrific ride – hills, descents, fast singletrack sections, gully, downland, beautiful views, wet t-shirt contest to finish with but it's 50km 😯

Is that too much? Over to the STW Massiv …

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘"Winchester" area ride – Saturday 8th May. May/may not include bluebells!’ is closed to new replies.