Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Winter Boots – MT80 vs MW90
  • Kahurangi

I walkes from my LBS with some MT90's

as they didn't have any MW80's in my size

Which was a bit silly of me as I liked the idea of the neoprene cuff to keep water out.

After today's ride in knackered gore-tex shoes (the new boots haven't been used yet) I've convinced myself again that the MT90's won't actually be much of an improvement at keeping water out.

I might go and ask my LBS very nicely if they'd get some MW80's in my size in and I can exchange them but TBH, I'm not expecting that they'd agree to.

I could try ebaying the unused boots and buy online?

Does the neoprene do anything to actually keep water out? Even an overshoe won't do an amazing job with water running down your leg – but it is a lot less open that the top of the MT90 boot. Though the MT90 has a higher gore-tex lining and ankle cover I'd reckon it's benefit would be limited…

Anyone have a comparison of them or any recommendations?

duntstick
    Free Member

I have the MW80's, racey and quite sleek for a winter shoe but in reality I think the MT90 is more practical for hiking through the sludge.

Oh and the neoprene does nowt as regards to keeping water out.

druidh
    Free Member

MT90s, Sealskinz and Stealth tights when it gets really bad.

If you haven't used the MT90s, I don't see why they wouldn't take them back off you – especially if you are ordering the MW80s

jimcollins67
    Free Member

Have both, mt90's are great for big days out in the hills where a bit of "hike a bike" is required, super comfy and toasty warm.

mw80's not as warm or as comfy, used mostly for local stuff and trail centres, they do seem to keep the water out better and easier to fit over shoes over them. if i had to choose between both the mt90's would be my boot of choice, but depends on where you mostly ride. Trail centres local woods, mw80's. Big days in the hills, hike a bike, mt90's.

Kahurangi

Hmm. I get cold feet pretty easily so I imagined that the drier option would straight away be better. I got the MT90's big enough to fit sealskins/winter socks on.

druidh – small bike shop, difficult to manage stock levels. I just don't like being an arse 😀

Cheers for the info so far – looks like I might have done OK then

druidh
    Free Member

JonT – I can see that there might be a problem if they'd ordered them in for you, but if they were already in stock, and you're now promising them a purchase of the MW80s, I really can't see the problem (btw – I work in a small – but perfectly formed – LBS).

But – I'd also suggest you stick with the MT90s and some nice socks.

z1ppy

I've got the MT90 but wuld have bought the MW80's if they be available at the time, the MT are lovely boot but the lack of collar is annoying is really heavy rain. Even if the neoprene collar on the MW80 isn't great it's got to be better than nothing…
    Though if ,like some of my m8's, you wore gaiter's it wouldn't be a problem with the MT's.

chakaping
    Free Member

I used to wear the MT90s with 3/4 waterproof shorts – and yes, I get loads of water running down my leg into the boots, and into my Sealskinz too if I had them on.

Always seemed to end up with squelchy toes.

I mostly use flats when it's wet now, but a shoe with better sealing at the top would have been preferable. I found the Vibram sole on the MT90 was nowhere near as grippy as a proper walking boot anyway.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Winter Boots – MT80 vs MW90’ is closed to new replies.