Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Winter Hill Descent – San Marino – CRASH!
  • samuri
    Free Member

Probably only interesting for people who know the descent, me, the flat caps lads or people who know Mr Sparkle.

This is a non-HD video of San Marino. I’m getting very wound up with the lack of decent video editing software out there that doesn’t cost nine million pounds. But hey. If you get bored, fast forward to about 50 seconds where I decide to pass Dave and let it rip, which is obviously where the fun starts. Sorry to anyone who gets upset by my line, bite me….you want to criticise, try and keep up.

I fall off near the end because my tyres are shit or something and if you keep your eyes open, Mr Sparkle appears in the last couple of seconds.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/25687080[/video]

Gary_C

Quite a good video!

But riders going UP San Marino, what’s all that about?

user-removed
    Free Member

Enjoyed that! But please do get yerself some bar end caps – don’t you remember derek-starship’s ‘apple-coring’ accident 😯

samuri
    Free Member

I do but my stomach looks like this…

But it’s a mans so it has hair on it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No it doesn’t Samuri don’t lie. 😐

Derek Starbelly did suffer. Was ‘orrible.

samuri
    Free Member

It looks like that (with hair) in the right light. I’m struggling to lose that last couple of pounds that’ll show it through. Plus mine has a dirty great 8 inch scar up the middle. 300 situps at a time now, I’ve no idea what these chaps do to get themselves looking like that but it’s not what I’m doing.

Derek’s did look a bit nasty mind.

abennell
    Free Member

Where is this taken, i’ve not heard of san marino but do live near winter hill, can anyone let me know

Antony

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what these chaps do to get themselves looking like that

I’d guess not drinking beer might be something to do with it. Boring.

I have abs like that. It’s just that they’re protected by some crash padding…

Derek’s did look a bit nasty mind.

Ooh it did, din’t it? It weren’t nice at all, that. 🙁

M6TTF
    Free Member

Gary_C – Member
    Quite a good video!

probably because they like a challenge.

MrSparkle

There is that (especially on SS) but we came over from Darwen and were heading for a bit of cheek near the mast. Good to see the vid Jon. There were a lot of Dave’s in that clip. There was Laughing Dave in the green and Dave the Builder in the black as well as your mate!

fisha
    Free Member

Decent video editing doesn’t need to cost that much.

I went for Pinnacle Studio HD a year or so ago, which was £100 and its been very very good, especially with the Red Giant Plugins which can add nice looks to the footage. I’m now considering the upgrade to Avid Studio.

sony Vegas is another which for the simpler versions doesn’t cost that much.

traildog
    Free Member

+1 on the like a challenge comment. Riding down is fun but it’s just a full on blast. I find riding up generally tougher and those ruts and jumps with you fly over going down become quite difficult to get over with tired legs.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Nice little bit of video there.
    That’s one of my favourite descents around this neck-o-the-woods.
    Really enjoyed that one out on my own last Sunday afternoon. It’s still holding-up well after all the rain and that boggy dip near the top ain’t too boggy at all 🙂
    Brakes off – brain out – and pedal like £^*& !!!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

😀 Good vid. Hope you didn’t hurt yourself

wors

Of all the places to come off on San marino, you came off on the straightest, flatest, smoothest part of the track. Good Effort 😀

D0NK

Who would get upset by your line choice samuri? 🙂
    Good vid, nice gentle crash, I don’t mind those sorts.

err to get to the top, I quite like going down down SM, up SM down another interesting route. Unless you go straight back up it’s a long way round to get back to the mast.

I’d have accepted

Riders pushing up san marino whats that all about?

🙂

nbt

i’ve not heard of san marino but do live near winter hill

San marino’s a restaurant on the belmont road. THe descent is the old cart trail from the mast down to said restaurant

MrSparkle

Oh, and the riders pushing were a bunch of young lads going up to ride back down again. must have taken them ages. We saw them later and one of ’em had binned, using his chin as a brake.

GavinB

Good vid – may have to sort one out myself of riding down there. 🙂

That big hole about 1/3 way down is getting bigger!! (at 1:30 on the left). Spoke to a lad out there the other week, who had a decent graze on his knee after his front wheel disappeared into the hole, with him going at full pelt.

And as others have said, riding up it is fun too, as there are some good little challenges with ruts, big step-ups and so on, plus its sometimes better than the alternatives of riding on road back up to Georges Lane via Belmont, or else around to Smithills.

Junkyard
    Free Member

riding up it is not fun but it is a challenge sub 10 minutes has been done SS. It is the easiest /quickest way to get back up to descents.
    It also helps you with line choices- you know where the big hole is for example and where the double step is to go for and the one you land in mud
    Its here by the mast at the very top cant really miss it and yes it is cheeky but was obvioulsy a cart route at some point
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=366310&y=414670&z=120&sv=366310,414670&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=676&ax=366310&ay=414670&lm=0

traildog
    Free Member

I’m sorry to disagree but riding up is fun. It’s riding a SS that’s not fun. :p

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

My usual up-route after San Marino descent is this one

terrahawk
    Free Member

riding up it in the dark on a cross bike in the rain is where it’s at kids.

Junkyard
    Free Member

tbh I would rather use the road than that bit not bad down – very muddy iirc only ridden it tiwce I think

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Ooooohh what a lary line..

Get over yerself. 😉

kaesae
    Free Member

Cool 😆

binners

Excellent crash sir. I think I’ve binned it about about the same point, playing silly buggers down there in the snow.

But, more importantly…..Riding up San Marino? What on earth are you people on? I’d imagine its as much fun as riding up a spiral staircase.

samuri
    Free Member

Decent video editing doesn’t need to cost that much.

I went for Pinnacle Studio HD a year or so ago, which was £100

Hundred nicker for something that does basic video edits sounds like an awful lot of money. And what are microsoft on? It’s a great piece of software Movide Maker HD, and it’s free, no complaints there. But you can only output in wmv! Mental. It took me thirty seconds to make this video in MovieMaker but then I struggled to convert from wmv to something decent, as you can see.

Ooooohh what a lary line..

There’s a history to my statement about lines. Some people can be so cruel.

miketually
    Free Member

Looked to be a couple of almost-crashes on there too 🙂

Nice vid; reminds me of some of the Swaledale tracks in places. (But less awesome, obviously.)

D0NK

riding up it in the dark on a cross bike in the rain is where it’s at kids.

Dark – check, rain – check, damn no cross bike 🙁

I’d imagine its as much fun as riding up a spiral staircase.

it’s not that technical, not that steep, not very muddy, just right for gaining height quickly and (fairly) easily. The total length of non-stop climbing is the only downer, stop moaning and pedal, mtfu, etc

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

great video samuri, you could do with a full suss though, i must admit that ive had several crashes down there and it seems always on the easy section when you think you have cleared all the tech bits. Nostagically, i loved it about 12 years ago pre waterbar/first major repair of the path when the stream ran across it. 😀

Biggest crash I ever had hitting a massive waterbar at full tilt down there, buckarootastic !

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Winter Hill Descent – San Marino – CRASH!’ is closed to new replies.