Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Would you walk? Job dilemma.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I work at a bike shop whose owner knows nowt about bikes but thinks otherwise as he rides a Claud Butler Criterium road bike. My job is a bike mechanic with the selling duties/general shop things on top. No written contract, just a verbal agreement.
    The boss is a decent guy but doesn't know how to run a BS, he's a builder at heart. For him the shop is just another project.
    I've been working for almost a year for 6 days a week, around 50 hrs weekly. Tiring? By all means but no alternative seemingly.
    Yesterday he said he'd call me to let me know if I'm needed at the shop on Monday/Tuesday. WTF? I'm supposed to support my family, I don't work for fun. Should I find another job and walk away? I'm tempted to take something totally different, at a food factory. 40 hrs/week plus overtime, full social security, job security, close to home too. The only real snug is it's paid less but promotions are from within and happen after approx. 3 months.
    I'd be seeing very little of my daughter during the day of work as shifts are 7-8, 13 hrs, 3 days a week (without OT). But the annual leave is much longer than standard, large set-up so no messing your wages/tax etc.
    Would you cook your CV to get the job or what else would you consider? I'm mentally drained, I probably know what I should do but would like to be told what other people think.
    BTW I can apply for the job tomorrow morning, there are loads of vacancies there ATM.

khani
    Free Member

If you need to support a family' walk, sounds like a school leavers job rather than a real job if he needs staff to work on a day to day basis

aP
    Free Member

If he's anything like the Civil Service he's remembered that you're about to have been there for a year and he won't want you to start acruing employment rights. He's just quietly in his own way letting you know that he's going to can you.
    Why not try applying to this other place, but changing your cv? I'm sure they won't care what's on your cv as long as you can walk and talk and get the work done when they want it done.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think you need to ask why there are loads of jobs available at the factory.

I would apply for the factory job but both be sceptical about it and use the time to negotiate with your current boss.

In the absence of a formal contract with your current boss then what you have been working becomes your contracted role and hours ( oversimplified)

He simply cannot tell you

he'd call me to let me know if I'm needed at the shop on Monday/Tuesday.

He is wrong to do so however with less than a years service it is very difficult to get redress for wrongs such as this.( apart from working beyond 48 hrs a week)

So – apply for the other job and try to find out what is wrong with it that it has so many vacancies and use this as leverage to negotiate with your current boss for a better deal

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I take it yo've told him you're getting sick of it?

TooTall
    Free Member

You need to manage your boss. If you have differing views on things, then you need to tell him your views. You obviously have different understandings of things and the onus is on you if you don't agree.

Write down things you want / need to stay there. Try not to make it a 'list of demands' but you need to get him to understand your side. If he can't / won't, then things are different. Lack of communication at the moment.

Hairychested
    Free Member

There are vacancies because the local Irish population doesn't want to work. My neighbour works there, has been for a few years, and really likes it. He says it's a decent company and recommends them.
    TJ, what you're suggesting would work in a properly run enterprise which my current shop isn't.
    BTW In Ireland, where I am, it's 2 years rather than 1 before they need to be careful dismissing stuff.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah – ireland – I know nowt of employment law there.

If you are confident the factory job is OK then just go for it.

3 long days is a nice working pattern – I have worked that

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i know someone who is currently raising a child and works 3 long days. I think the fact you have the 4 days off sounds pretty good if you can hack long days.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I know I can as the start is early and my wife is at home. I'm thinking of 4 days at work and 3 days off. My income would be then similar to the current one but virtually no diesel costs (should be able to cycle, need to check if there's a bike shed there).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ah – ireland – I know nowt of employment law there.

TJ this is STW dont let a little thing like that stop you talking authoritatively on the subject

Apply for the job and then negotiate with your boss. If he has not given you a contract and then does this you know how much security you have there. If his heart is not in it he could stop all hours and leave you really in it. Use the period of employment to look for an alternative job. It is nice to drop employers like this in the sh1t as it what they deserve. Do what is best for you and your family as clearly he does not have much interest in your well being

Sucks though, best of luck fella.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

If there are lost of vacancies you may not need to embellish your cv.
    If it were me, i'd have a proper talk with the current boss to see how you can help improve sales, drum up new business, etc., as it sounds you're keen on it.
    At the least you'd know for sure you're on borrowed time and can find something else.

Hairychested
    Free Member

If there are lost of vacancies you may not need to embellish your cv.
    If it were me, i'd have a proper talk with the current boss to see how you can help improve sales, drum up new business, etc., as it sounds you're keen on it.
    At the least you'd know for sure you're on borrowed time and can find something else.

My professional experience has nothing to do with the type of business I'm considering going into, but I learn quickly and want to move into something new anyway. Full training's given anyway.
    Regarding the sales etc. I sold 68 bikes two weeks ago with an average bike price over 400 Euro, yesterday alone 8 bikes went, the cheapest 399 Euro, the dearest 939 Euro. He still complains we aren't making any money.
    Without trying to sound pompous I've made this place a bike shop people travel to. Not that I'm a genius but it helps to love bikes and offer people a cuppa on a cold day, doesn't it?
    It's clear to me now, as I've had my coffee and you said what you think, what needs doing. I'll be applying tomorrow but a visit to a Citizen Information Centre is needed too. I need to establish where I am legally as Ireland is different to UK in some ways.
    It's a real bummer but possibly for my own good. Keep the fingers crossed for me and add whatever you think I should/need/must know/do.
    BTW I can't own him with the Bombers are there's no MTB gear in stock 🙁 Can I do it with SunTours?

tron
    Free Member

TBH it sounds like he couldn't operate the bike shop without you. Get a loan, rent a shop and the clients will follow?

Sandwich

Sun Tours will need careful application as they're much heavier!

epicyclo

tron +1

Your boss sounds like he is going broke. Why not offer to take over the business?

I have usually found in business, that if an otherwise reasonable and ok person starts acting like an a*hole, it's usually because they are under money pressure.

iDave
    Free Member

talk to him like a man, offer to take the burden off him, but he has to let you run the place. periodically use the phrase 'does that sound reasonable'

you like being there, see the potential blah blah
    but the way it's going you'll walk
    but there is a solution, etc etc

i'm amazed at how many people make decisions based on assumptions and never talk to the relevant people first

if you talk, and he's a cock, what have you lost? if you talk and he's sound but under pressure and will let you take over, what have you gained????

Hairychested
    Free Member

He's loaded, his construction business made 25+ million Euro so far this year and his wife earns over 1m Euro annually.
    I reckon he's acting the way he is because he thinks nobody will stand up to him. I will though.
    So far that the loans go in Eire at the moment, forget it, impossible. We've tried to get one for my Wife's art gallery (never started as no loan/grant/money available).

iDave
    Free Member

ireland being ireland, make sure he doesn't know where you're hoping to work, as it can be hard to get work if bosses who eat from the same trough get talking

but have a talk to him – people like him warm to someone with big balls. he might swing for you first though

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Sounds like he's expecting a high margin.
    I'm suprised he doesn't do any MTB stuff, but a he's limited his sales market then i'm not suprised he's not making much money!

Hairychested
    Free Member

The most bought type of bikes is a road bike here as there're loads of clubs nearby. Some triathlon stuff is also in demand. MTB's were very hard to shift TBH but it's related to the lack of off-road riding to be had in North Dublin. Cyclocross is only beginning to be of interest to the locals too.
    I've just spoken to some people at the factory, apparently I stand a good chance to get a decently paid job there. I also popped into a coffee shop, I just love them places, and the manageress insisted I brought my CV (something to do with 8 years in the field in London I gather) pronto. Can't say no especially when her staff are hot hot hot!
    Feeling better already! More coffee please!

alfabus
    Free Member

there's no MTB gear in stock

Get out now!

Dave

ratherbeintobago

I'm suprised he doesn't do any MTB stuff,

I didn't think there was much MTBing in Ireland as the bridleway legislation is different & not bike-friendly?

Andy

sv

…and I was going to call tomorrow!

Hairychested
    Free Member

sv – Member

…and I was going to call tomorrow!

Do you need some BBB pedals or why else? Beer is better in Drogheda anyway 😉

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Start your own shop. Sounds like you could run it easily. Simples.

sv

Just because havent seen too many shops in ROI apart from that one in Dublin beside the Liffey. Chain lube maybe!

TooTall
    Free Member

I reckon he's acting the way he is because he thinks nobody will stand up to him. I will though.

Just so you know – walking isn't standing up to him. Talking would be, but you seem to want to avoid communication as much as he does.

Hairychested
    Free Member

TooTall, easier said than done. From what I know about him if I say what I think I'm fired there and then. Would you risk your kid being hungry?
    SV, check it on You Tube, it hasn't changed. Or the website (or should I say: "website"?) – t m g cycles [dot] com Not much to look at unless you like Gepida hybrids and assorted Claud Butler/Viking/Da Vinci road bikes. Skerries as such is nice if it's sunny, the shop – a missed opportunity.
    Zukemonster – unlike in the UK here everybody knows everybody else, often they're related (inbreeding proper). If I started my own shop, for which I have no funds nowadays, not a single Eire supplier would trade with me. It took him personal connections and plenty of free GAA stuff to get even the most popular dealers to deal with the shop. Often they say you won't be getting anything from them because the local shop, circa 15 miles away, says no. It's a weird place, not worth the hassle.
    I'll consider it when I have my own place, in a few years time. I'll be able to take my time developing the (work)shop without having to throw tens of thousand of Euro away in rental (a small place in a mid-sized town Main Street would cost E50+k a year).

epicyclo

Hairychested – Member
    He's loaded, his construction business made 25+ million Euro so far this year and his wife earns over 1m Euro annually…

Don't be fooled. I've been in that business and seen bigger go to the wall with little warning.

Scenario – business going well, loads of work outstanding, clients a bit slow to pay, the slow cashflow means business needs a bit more cash to make up the difference to pay for wages, supplies, etc, then the bank says no.

First response of business is to cut all low profit centres.

Good business ends up going to the wall.

If I'm right you'll know within 2-3 months.

Northwind

I wouldn't just walk away, try and sort it first, it'll cost you nowt. Don't think of it as standing up to him or making trouble, just set out how you see it and see if he can be convinced. After all he wants the business to work, even if it's just a project as you say he'll not want his project to give him hassle or to fall to bits. Staff that can think should be an asset to him.

And if all that turns out to be just hopeless optimism, you're no worse off and you'll know you've done what you can to make it work.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I've already applied for another job or two, will apply for more tomorrow and on Tuesday. The situation with the shop is such that he's seemingly decided he knows best because his father had a bike workshop in (London)Derry ages ago and he knows how to ride a bike (not my words, his). I think I've stopped caring about it, time to move on. He's got rid of another guy who knew everything and a bit more about road bikes but wore dreadlocks and also lowered the number of hours of the most spectacularly fabulous mechanic ever. Why? I don't need them, he said.
    I'm going tomorrow, if he sends me home I know my legal rights and will ensure he knows I know. And if, or rather when, I get a new job I'll give him no notice. Ok, I need to give him a week but why shouldn't I pull a sickie then?
    Thanks for your support, opinions, suggestions. It would've been more difficult without you guys. Cheers!

iDave
    Free Member

good luck, but where's the bit where you 'stand up to him'?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'll tell him exactly what I think when I know my daughter's plate won't be empty. It's really that bad at the moment, no kidding.
    Nobody has ever told him anything I don't think, I will.

chewkw
    Free Member

If job is not easy to come by why not try it out on your own. All you need is to register as self employed, have a car and all the tools for the trade. Then do mobile bike service? I mean print out plenty of name cards distribute them to all the bike club for what you can offer. Or better still come up with some service schemes for all the clubs and pay them a visit every so often to service all bikes. You can source for the spare parts from somewhere else? Also ask if your dread lock colleague would join you so you both of you can service several locations quickly?

If you have the sort of boss that does not take kindly to competition he might knee cap you so watch out.

midlifecrashes

Regarding the sales etc. I sold 68 bikes two weeks ago with an average bike price over 400 Euro, yesterday alone 8 bikes went, the cheapest 399 Euro, the dearest 939 Euro. He still complains we aren't making any money.
    Without trying to sound pompous I've made this place a bike shop people travel to.

and

He's loaded, his construction business made 25+ million Euro so far this year and his wife earns over 1m Euro annually…

Call me cynical, but maybe the shop is supposed to make a loss so he can use it as a tax reduction vehicle and you've gone and ballsed it up for him?

epicyclo

midlifecrashes – Member
    …but maybe the shop is supposed to make a loss so he can use it as a tax reduction vehicle and you've gone and ballsed it up for him?

Running a business to deliberately make a loss is a myth.

user-removed
    Free Member

No written contract, just a verbal agreement.

This doesn't have to be a stumbling block but is certainly a p1ss poor start.

Sounds to me like you're pretty much managing the place. Also sounds like you've made up your mind to leave. Before you do, and if you like the job (if not the hours) why not ask him if he's willing to pay you to manage the place – keep it positive and upbeat as others have said – keep it non-confrontational. Take along a list of ideas (and recent sales figures) and point out the areas where your personal approach to doing business has worked.

Take the pressure off him – suggest hiring a new mechanic so you're free to implement the new ideas as a manager.

Working in a factory is sh1te. Any factory. Sell yourself and your expertise, your sales skills and your mechanical know-how. Make him see that you are an integral and necessary part of his business, then ask for what you are worth. It's not unfair or unreasonable. Just don't do it with a chip on yer shoulder 😉

EDIT: no matter how rich he is, he'll have no problem with any kind of a plan to make him richer – he just needs convincing that it will.

jahwomble
    Free Member

"…but maybe the shop is supposed to make a loss so he can use it as a tax reduction vehicle and you've gone and ballsed it up for him?"

Could just be he's buying the wrong stock in and making bugger all margin on it ?

I've worked in retail stores where some stock, you made very little on and some you actually made a loss on, purely to get people in and buying stock with a decent margin. It's up to the sales bod to upsell to the profitable stock. If you've no profitable stock to upsell to, y' fecked.

Just an idea.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Do the 3 day on 4 day off thing.
    If you've got a garage start a bike repair shop, take your clients with you.
    I assume you've got trade contacts too?
    Once you get a few pennies from the bike servicing, see if you can set yourself up as a business, so to get trade discount. And start local club canvassing, as you say you have a reputation that'll stick with you.
    Can then do bespoke purchases as needed for the clubs, with mechanic skills in there too.
    Setup shouldn't be too expensive surely?
    Also, if you've got local clubs, one promo thing you could do is go to their events and do trackside support for them for a group discount price – the club can pay you, saving the riders a bit of cash too. Get some basic flyers so people can contact you another time.
    All of the above would help with a business loan once you want to start your own store…

Coffee shop? That's not a career, and you need one if you have kids.

[edit]

not a single Eire supplier would trade with me. It took him personal connections and plenty of free GAA stuff to get even the most popular dealers to deal with the shop.

Just read that. Nuts to that idea then. Still wouldn't want to support my kids on a casual job (coffee shop) though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Would you walk? Job dilemma.’ is closed to new replies.