** DX (Bastid) Charger Catches Fire **
My DX (Bastid) light charger caught fire this morning. I was out of the house at the time, having put the battery on charge before nipping out. Came home to find what you see below. Doesn't seem to have killed the battery, and luckily it burnt out it's own power supply so didn't burn the house down. Now need to source a replacement charger, but in the meantime if you own a Bastid, I'd not leave it charging unsupervised.
Posted 10 years ago
When I say untended I mean I dont leave one going and leave the house, or leave one charging overnight.
Even top brands have problems with faulty batteries and overheating chargers.
And when a Li-ion battery fails it might not necessarily just short and stop charging, we've all seen the Youtube vids of them when they go pop.Posted 10 years agosimonfbarnesMember
Surely the charger should be able to look after itself?
and nicely unplug itself when doom threatens ? Actually it's the cells that are most dangerous, but several of my chargers do get very hot in operation and it would be possible for them to fail in such as way as to short out the battery pack and ignite that too 🙁Posted 10 years agopaulrockliffeMember
What voltage is the pwoer supply in Hong Kong? I don't have an adapter to plug mine into the mains, but I do have a 240v to 110v transformer from an old american Sony amplifier that has the same output as the charger for the light needs. So I've been charging at 110v instead of 240v. Can anyone advise if this is likely to cause a) longer charging times and b) cooler charging temperatures?
Would a circuit breaker be advised for this sort of charging?Posted 10 years ago
How long you had the light Padowan? If i remember right earlier lights, well the units, had some QC issues that were rectified. Wonder if the batteries have undergone the same changes.
I've had the light a couple of months now. When it arrived I opened it up and it seemed to have the modifications that came after the original comments (thermal paste etc) so I think it's one of the updated ones.
I can't be ar$ed to send it back to DX for a replacement, I've got some Sony camcorder chargers that are the same voltage and current, designed for Li batteries so I'm going to lop off the charging cable from the burnt out charger and solder it into one of the Sony ones – added benefit is that the Sony charger has a 12VDC input so I can charge it in the car without using an inverter!Posted 10 years agoGribsMember
A friends bastid charger set on fire the first time he plugged it in. I took it apart and it just appeared to have shorted out. I think he's still taking to them about sending a replacement charger rather than having to send the whole lot back.
My own one has been fine but I don't leave it charging when I'm out of the house.Posted 10 years ago
The topic ‘** DX (Bastid) Charger Catches Fire **’ is closed to new replies.